Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QC Issues -- Leaking roof/rear hinge seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You bet I did. The gap was wider on the driver's side. Here are a few photos taken from the driver's side (looking toward the passenger's side).
If you're seeing the light blue tape and wondering how on earth a gap that wide could be "in spec," I was too. I'm still shaking my head that the delivery team and the service center worker who made the door adjustments on delivery day thought this was acceptable.
Good lord. I could fit my lunch in those gaps. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Did you post your first 3 of the vin?

Reactions: CT7Summits
A bit off topic, but maybe of help to you with new M3/MYs with or without water infiltration problems.
I have a M3. Here's some advice:
NEVER open the driver's door while the windshield wipers are on. They will direct a bucket of water directly to the inside panel of your opened door, which also splashes back on you and your car seat. Somewhat amusing the first time, but quite aggravating. Very thoughtful design!

Hi all--just wanted to provide an update on the leak. I reported the issue to my local delivery/service center on Monday 6/29/20, and they asked me to bring it in that day for service. They spent all day Tuesday working on the car, and I picked it up on Wed. 6/31/20, with the issue fixed (at no cost to me, obviously). In the process of making the necessary adjustments, they did crack one of the interior plastic pieces, so that will need to be fixed now, but they brought that issue to my attention and have already ordered a replacement part. (The crack is just cosmetic, thankfully.)

I wonder if a company wide email or memo went our instructing employees to use the term "within spec" to get rid of customers complaining about fitment issues. LOL

I jest

but seriously, I'm sure feeding some customers "within spec" gets them to pipe down and leave the SC "satisfied." And for those that say forums have a disproportionate number of complaints, what about all the owners experiencing problems and don't visit this forum?

For those curious,
at about 52:20 shows how GM water tests Camaros from 2010 or earlier. It ends at 54:10. The water test itself is nearly 8 minutes. I posted about this episode at Ultimate Factories/Man-Made: Chevy Volt on NGC

It seems that the uploader flipped the video horizontally to presumably get around automated anti-piracy detection/filters.

Your streaming service may carry the actual title:
"Ultimate Factories" Camaro (TV Episode 2009) - IMDb
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Factories-Camaro-National-Geographic/dp/B00UGQJHE8

I saw it on TV in 2010.

I also found This GM Quality Test Checks For Water Intrusion. I'm guessing Tesla doesn't test all their vehicles as thoroughly or they let failures thru to customers...

Last edited:
For those curious,
at about 52:20 shows how GM water tests Camaros from 2010 or earlier. It ends at 54:10. The water test itself is nearly 8 minutes. I posted about this episode at Ultimate Factories/Man-Made: Chevy Volt on NGC

It seems that the uploader flipped the video horizontally to presumably get around automated anti-piracy detection/filters.

Your streaming service may carry the actual title:
"Ultimate Factories" Camaro (TV Episode 2009) - IMDb
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Factories-Camaro-National-Geographic/dp/B00UGQJHE8

I saw it on TV in 2010.

I also found This GM Quality Test Checks For Water Intrusion. I'm guessing Tesla doesn't test all their vehicles as thoroughly or they let failures thru to customers...
(Thread resurrection)

If you skip to 44:20 of
, you'll see the GM end of line water test I was referring to.