Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QI Charging DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help! I bought the same Qi charge pads for my Model 3 and they don’t work because the USB port in the center console is only .5amp. Can you please be more specific how you routed the chargers?

So far this solution is working great for me. The pads dont move around (I’ve laced them thru the cable path, and secured them with a single piece of painters’ tape) and the design of the pads works nearly perfectly. And because the pad is PU/Pleather, they have some grip and the phones dont move around while driving so far (though our roads in AZ are probably smoother than a lot of areas). But they stay planted. I think its a viable solution. For reference the pads fit an iPhone X perfectly.

I took delivery on my white M3 this weekend! What an awesome car! I made my own QI duel chargers and works and looks great! Saved $100 on the one that has yet to be released. Easy to do yourself!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Q97P9T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How did you route the usb cables? Can you be more specific on where you plugged them in? Any pictures? The front ports Do Not work with this setup. It charges for a few seconds and then disconnects. You need to route it to the 12v in the center console and use a quick charge adapter for this setup to work, but there is no hole in the console to do so.

How did you route the usb cables? Can you be more specific on where you plugged them in? Any pictures? The front ports Do Not work with this setup. It charges for a few seconds and then disconnects. You need to route it to the 12v in the center console and use a quick charge adapter for this setup to work, but there is no hole in the console to do so.
I used the front USB ports. It maintains a charge when using an app like Waze with the screen on constantly and slowly charges when not in use. It would obviously charge faster if you used the 12v but this setup works for me as I don't want to drill holes and route wires.

So far this solution is working great for me. The pads dont move around (I’ve laced them thru the cable path, and secured them with a single piece of painters’ tape) and the design of the pads works nearly perfectly. And because the pad is PU/Pleather, they have some grip and the phones dont move around while driving so far (though our roads in AZ are probably smoother than a lot of areas). But they stay planted. I think its a viable solution. For reference the pads fit an iPhone X perfectly.

I bought the same wireless pad - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Q97P9T/

I only put one on the driver side. I just placed it right under the mat and I actually didn't even have to put any tape to secure it. My passenger may not have wireless capability so I have the cable there. The only bad thing is that the phone cannot be charged is there is a case on it....it just doesn't sit flush and align up with the charging cable.

Overall, pretty happy with the solution.

I bought the same wireless pad - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Q97P9T/

I only put one on the driver side. I just placed it right under the mat and I actually didn't even have to put any tape to secure it. My passenger may not have wireless capability so I have the cable there. The only bad thing is that the phone cannot be charged is there is a case on it....it just doesn't sit flush and align up with the charging cable.

Overall, pretty happy with the solution.
Agreed, it has been working very well for me. My wife (who is the usual passenger) prefers to plug in so she can use her phone while charging. So I have a lighter-usb plug in the center console for her to use (with a retractable Lightning cable, so it stores cleanly away when not being used). So the second wirelsss pad isnt being used much. I may remove it also, might put the lightning cable back in there. Right now, it’s my sunglasses storage location :)

To clarify when you said the case causes problem, you meant the lightning cable connection, not the wireless pad, right?

To clarify when you said the case causes problem, you meant the lightning cable connection, not the wireless pad, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes! Thanks for the clarification.

For the wireless charging, I actually have an iPhone 7+ (which does not have wireless charging capability) so I ended up purchasing this - https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Cha...keywords=wireless+charging+case+for+iphone+7+

It worked perfectly with the above wireless charging pad that I mentioned above.

Looking at the Qi standards it describes the charging process:

The base station doesn’t activate unless a compatible device has been placed on it. The station determines this by sending an intermittent test signal to check if a Qi-compliant device is present. The mobile device responds to this ping by communicating the received signal strength.

At this point, the wireless charging process begins. The base station and the mobile device each have coils—a transmitter coil and a receiver coil, respectively. The transmitter’s coil generates an electromagnetic field that induces a current in the receiver’s coil.

here's the link to the article:
How Qi wireless charging works, and why it hasn’t taken over yet

hope this helps!