Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Qi Wireless Charging for Refreshed Center Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just completed this mod and it went fantastic. This thread, QI Wireless Phone Charging, inspired me so give credit where credit is due to those owners that pioneered this idea. For my application, I ended up using slightly different parts:
3 Coil Charging Pad
USB C Charging Receiver

I'm not sure what the triple coil does, but I would assume it either gives better charge area coverage and/or faster charge rates. And then my phone didn't come with wireless charging so I needed a receiver with a right-angle, low-profile, USB C attachment.

The charging plate plus circuit board was an absolute perfect fit when the proper material was removed from inside the cover. I hot glued it in a couple places just to make sure it didn't move around, but literally no indication from the outside that there is anything inside. I made a very very small micro hole for the LED indicator. But I made sure it is covered up by the phone so it doesn't distract the driver at night.

Interesting note, I have the Scosche USB 2.4 x 2 (4.8v total) 12v adapter and it shuts off if I plug the charging plate in. However the PNY 2amp 12v adapter I have works great. It seems to charge anywhere from 500mah to 1.2amps (latter rate is with screen off) and using the app Ampre.

I also used this: Right-Angle USB Extension to extend my right-angle USB A to micro-USB cable that I used. This way there is enough slack to allow the lid to close when the phone isn't in there.

The phone is a OnePlus 3 and it fits perfectly in the factory bumpers with one caveat. I had originally 3d printed a bunch of different custom bumpers for that perfect fit, but found that by just removing the "curved" inside bottom from either side, the phone fits like a glove.

All in all, one of the best mods for this car. The less wires the better and I'm thrilled to have wireless charging back in my life after it was discontinued on the Nexus 5x.

Edit: I also 3d printed a set of these at varying sizes. They are an absolute necessity now when taking apart anything in the Tesla:

IMG_20170318_141608.jpg

Reactions: byeLT4