Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QI Wireless Phone Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would chime in here. I just completed this mod and it went fantastic. I used these two pieces:
Qi Charging Pad:
Amazon.com: Wireless Charger,Itian Qi Wireless Charging 3 Coils DIY PCBA for Samsung Galaxy S7 S7 Edge S6 S6 Edge Note5 S6 Edge Plus LG G3 G2 Google Nexus 4 5 6 7 Nokia Lumia 920: Cell Phones & Accessories

Qi Charging Adapter:
Amazon.com: Type C Wireless Charging Receiver, Nillkin Magic Tag USB C Qi Wireless Charger Receiver Chip for Google Pixel/Pixel XL/Nexus 6P/LG V20/HTC 10/OnePlus 3 and other USB-C Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm not sure what the triple coil does, but I would assume it either gives better charge area coverage and/or faster charge rates.

Interesting note, I have the Scosche USB 2.4 x 2 12v adapter and it shuts off if I plug the charging plate in. However the PNY 2amp 12v adapter I have works great. It seems to charge anywhere from 500mah to 1.2amps (latter rate is with screen off) and using the app Ampre.

Plate plus circuit board was an absolute perfect fit when the proper material was removed from inside the cover. I hot glued it in a couple places just to make sure it didn't move around, but literally no indication from the outside that there is anything inside. I made a very very small micro hole for the LED indicator. But I made sure it is covered up by the phone so it doesn't distract the driver at night.

Phone is a OnePlus 3 and it fits perfectly in the factory bumpers. I had originally 3d printed a bunch of different custom bumpers for that perfect fit, but found that by just removing the "curved" inside bottom from either side, the phone fits like a glove.

All in all, one of the best mods for this car. The less wires the better and I'm thrilled to have wireless charging back in my life after it was discontinued on the Nexus 5x.

Hello, I was thinking about doing this mod after getting a wireless charging "mod" for my Moto Z. Do these coils charge on only one side, or both? If I installed this, could I place my phone on top of the closed cover and have it charge too?

Hello, I was thinking about doing this mod after getting a wireless charging "mod" for my Moto Z. Do these coils charge on only one side, or both? If I installed this, could I place my phone on top of the closed cover and have it charge too?
Interesting question, this mod should charge from either side, but I'll let ones who have it to confirm. Be careful placing the phone on top of the compartment as it might slight forward during braking and slide underneath the LCD in ato abyss (there is a slight gap).

On another note, what wireless "mod" are you talking about? (I too have Moto Z and waiting for the wireless mod but have not heard of one)

I picked up this battery pack and wireless charger combo mod, it makes the phone twice as thick unfortunately. The wireless charging it enables seems to work well. My case doesn't fit anymore, but I ordered a bumper case that just goes around the edge. I do not know of a Mod that just does just wireless charging.

Amazon.com: TUMI Wireless Charging Power Pack Moto Mod: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks for the warning! Just looked at it and pointed it out to the wife, I may have to block it off with something.

Reactions: ABC2D

I tested this with our setup and it doesn't charge from the other side. I suppose if you used two coils that might work but they would have to be offset. I'd love to know if anyone tries this.

I tested this with our setup and it doesn't charge from the other side. I suppose if you used two coils that might work but they would have to be offset. I'd love to know if anyone tries this.

Thanks for testing it. I may install the coils upside down, with magnets like neo17 did. My phone's case sticks to magnets, so it may stay put (no Ludricous!). I can leave the bumper and plug in place to use when the cover needs to be open.

Thanks for testing it. I may install the coils upside down, with magnets like neo17 did. My phone's case sticks to magnets, so it may stay put (no Ludricous!). I can leave the bumper and plug in place to use when the cover needs to be open.
Can confirm that the wireless charging will not work from the other side of the coils (behind the metal plate), nor will it work properly if I mounted my metal plate over the coils for my magnet-mount. I had to stick the magnet-mount plate higher than the charging pad adapter on the phone and out of the way of the wireless charging voodoo.

I'm a chicken also when it comes to dismantling a 100K car. I got this free standing charger from Amazon with a circular base that fits perfectly inside one of the round cup holders. I ran the USB under the rubberized mat and into the bottom console. The charger has a non-slip ledge that prevents the phone from moving around. Does the job and I can close the top to hide my phone if needed.

Which one did you get?

-Keith

Isnt there some restriction the charging pads you can use? I just read that today.
I think it's the other way. The Apple Qi charger coming out will potentially not work with non Apple products, but the standard Qi chargers from Mophie / Belkin / etc will work with the iPhone 8 and X. Of course, I am getting an X to go with my X.

I'll be ordering an iPhone X soon. Now I want a phone mount that clips into one of the dash vents and has inductive charging built into it. I like my phone up where I can see it while driving because I run Waze.
Mophie offers a magnetic inductive charger in their ChargeForce line - it clips into a vent, magnetically secures the phone and wirelessly charges it. The current version requires using one of their battery cases or their new non-battery magnetic cases, but they haven't announced their iPhone 8/X product lines in full yet. There should be a solution for iPhone X by the time it releases.

I use their magnetic desktop charger in the car for charging my Galaxy S8. I have used the vent mount version, but I didn't like blocking the vents so I got their desktop stand instead (which has essentially the same magnetic wireless charger, but with a ball mount on the back) and got a standard Garmin ball mount and glued that to the dash. It's positioned just below the vents to the left of the screen which allows better airflow, but I have to peer around the steering wheel a little more than when I had it on the vents.

Mophie Charge Force vent mount:
http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/charge-force-vent-mount

Mophie Charge Force desktop stand:
http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/charge-force-desk-mount

Example iPhone 7 Charge Force battery case:
http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/juice-pack-air-wireless-iphone-7

Example iPhone 7 Charge Force charging case (no battery):
http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/charge-force-wireless-case-iphone-7

(Note that the iPhone 7 Charge Force case is thicker than the Galaxy charging case because iPhone 7 does not have wireless charging built in. The Galaxy S8 case seen below is lower profile then the iPhone 7 charging case because it only provides magnetic attachment and leaves the wireless charging to the phone. I'd expect there to be similar low-profile Charge Force charging cases offered for the iPhone 8/X.)

Example Galaxy S8 Charge Force charging case (no battery):
http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/charge-force-wireless-case-galaxy-s8

The dash mounting ball that I used with the Charge Force desktop stand:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MGCC3Q

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spottyq and McManX
I'll be ordering an iPhone X soon. Now I want a phone mount that clips into one of the dash vents and has inductive charging built into it. I like my phone up where I can see it while driving because I run Waze.
Scosche magnet mount suction. Don't cheap out with the vent attachment. Your car deserves better. And I hate to say it, your ungodly expensive iPhone deserves better as well.