Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QLD Event - The Farm, 15th May 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still not confirmed. Nor is the Coffs location.

There's a bit of misconception about white paint in hot climates. The RACQ commissioned research by QUT to look into that matter a while back (6 months to a year). In short, a white car will heat up more slowly than nearly every other colour. However, after fifteen minutes there is no difference in the maximum temperature reached (which varies of course). Unless you're going to be away less than 15 minutes when your car is in the sun, then white paint is of no advantage. Buy the colour you like and turn on the A/C before you get back to the car :cool:

Mythbusters did an episode, black versus white and found the black car heated up to a higher temperature, around 12 degrees Celsius higher. :)

Mythbusters did an episode, black versus white and found the black car heated up to a higher temperature, around 12 degrees Celsius higher. :)
I would have thought white would be cooler too. When I used to work in solar R&D, we made use of the fact that white paint is 96% reflective, which is more reflective than a household mirror.

EDIT:
a white car will heat up more slowly than nearly every other colour. However, after fifteen minutes there is no difference in the maximum temperature reached
This does not make sense to me. If the white car heats up more slowly, that indicates that there is a lower rate of heat transfer to its interior, and therefore it will ultimately reach a lower equilibrium temperature where the conduction and convection out to the environment will offset the lesser radiation absorbed.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGGD
Ahem...with Due respect to Mythbusters. I like the program too. I think I'll go with QUT. Rate of heat transfer does not necessarily affect the final maximum temperature, btw. Depends how quickly the object in question loses heat. In any case, there is a study out there and to refute it one needs to go out and do one's own measurements on an adequate sample of cars. Like I said, turn on the A/C before you get back to the car and do what Colin did, buy the colour you like :cool:

Ahem ... RACQ supports Mythbusters !

Temp.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would alter my colour choice to come back to a car on a hot day that is a whole 3 degrees C cooler, particularly when I can pop the panoramic roof and turn on the AC prior to returning.
How much of an effect this has on the efficiency of a Model S and how much faster the car ages hasn't and probably wont ever be measured. IMHO I think the effect is overstated, but hey perhaps lots of Queenslanders like white and all power to them.:cool:
Edit:
Back on topic, hopefully Tesla will start erecting solar canopies in warmer climate Superchargers like this one.

What can I say - I'm colour blind? Or just stupid? Still, like Colin I bought the colour I wanted and didn't consider temp at the time. ...and the car is Red...btw...they are faster...no study to support that, of course. It teaches me to look more carefully and not to look for what I want to see.

Red - the preferred colour of those discerning few!

Of course, there have been many studies. How often have you heard the one, "a red or two over dinner is good for your heart". Or perhaps, "better red than dead".

It turns out that simply there is less friction as you drive with the colour red. (I would have thought this was self evident but email me and I'll put you in the right direction for some supporting documentation, or at least a red or two) ...

And finally, surely it depends on what your eating, not where you live, that should determine whether red or white goes best!

• Funny
Reactions: RichardMcN
A good point in itself, and the quality of the red may affect the speed of the car in many diverse ways (and directions). A formal study might reveal that correct red, shown to, and consumed by, the researchers, has an affect on the outcome as well. Such a study would be pursued over quite a long time of course. As for myself, I'll lay off it (the red) when reading graphs in future. ;)

Maybe a strategically designed study would support red cars being faster. After all there are a lot of red Ferraris and quite a few red Teslas!

As a Ferrari owner, as well as a Tesla owner, I would say that a Tesla isn't a two-seat sports coupe; it's a grand tourer. And the classic Ferrari GT is white or black, not red. In the Ferrari world, rosso corsa is mostly reserved for a sports car. Plus, with all due respect to Tesla red - which is no doubt a fine colour and a choice which is equally as valid as any other colour - it is not, in my opinion, a special red like rosso corsa. Just sayin' ;-)

Rosso corsa is more Italian than Ferrari. It is the equivalent of British racing green or French blue. All denoting the countries colour of racing (ie racing red in Italian)

As Tesla is an American car, the racing colour would be white with blue stripes or blue with white stripes. Then again, the intelligent car Kitt and the Batmobile were black - my colour!

Reactions: Homer
As a Ferrari owner, as well as a Tesla owner, I would say that a Tesla isn't a two-seat sports coupe; it's a grand tourer. And the classic Ferrari GT is white or black, not red. In the Ferrari world, rosso corsa is mostly reserved for a sports car. Plus, with all due respect to Tesla red - which is no doubt a fine colour and a choice which is equally as valid as any other colour - it is not, in my opinion, a special red like rosso corsa. Just sayin' ;-)

Homer, I have to agree with you. Having recently waved goodbye to my Rosso corsa 360 as it drove down the road bringing a tear to my eye (this is where everyone on the forum gives me sympathy...) It is the most beautiful colour red for a car. FJF000, you're quite correct in reporting the national racing colours; a point that I, as a through and through Aussie had forgotten when I ordered my 'blue' P90DL. - baguette anyone?

Reactions: Homer
Black --=> is not a colour...a true black must be a black hole (and not visible, since it absorbs all incident light). Hence,we are prompted to wonder if these "black" cars are just very, very, very, very VERY DARK red (or blue), that's all. It takes a brave man to run a black car. Seems like you're forever cleaning them. :oops: Ferrari owners can have their point of view, to which they're entitled. The Tesla red will become a legend, given time.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Homer and alpal
Rosso corsa is more Italian than Ferrari. It is the equivalent of British racing green or French blue. All denoting the countries colour of racing (ie racing red in Italian)

As Tesla is an American car, the racing colour would be white with blue stripes or blue with white stripes. Then again, the intelligent car Kitt and the Batmobile were black - my colour!

On that basis where is the green and gold colour option for Aussie buyers? Forgotten again....

In fact it is worse than that - there used to be green and goldy-brown colours available and they stopped making them! Only true supporters such as mellocom made the cut!

I have a few small self contained digital thermometers with slowish response times and longish cables to the sensor so they could be read though a closed window.
If there are a couple (or more) of black and white but otherwise similar (i.e. both with or both without panoramic roof) Model S cars at the Hinze Dam event maybe we can try the experiment. My car does not not have a panoramic roof, it is solid white. I'm guessing a closed white car will be cooler than a black one by several degrees if it's a fine sunny day. If overcast all bets are off.

Reactions: Vegas