Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QQ: Leave the AC on...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

perkiset

... this one goes to 11
Jan 7, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Here in AZ, where we are only 1/4 mile from the sun, we obviously want the car to be cooler before we get in. But more to the point, if I'm just running into the store for a quick trip, I want the AC to stay on while I'm gone.

So I've been using the app, let the car turn off as I leave, then turning the AC on which (obviously) gives me 30 minutes. I have set timers on my phone to remind me to turn it back on in 30 minutes if I'm gone a long time and just want the car to stay cool. So my question, is there a way from the car's console to set the AC to stay on while I'm gone, rather than going through that workaround?

Thanks in advance

Could be wrong, but I think the Remote S app has a camping mode, which will automatically keep the AC going for as long as you want. Its not a perfect solution, but click the REMOTE S at the top middle of the app and read about Camp Mode. You have to keep your phone on and set to that app/page to keep it going. But it will work...

Only if you leave the car on (in neutral, then set parking brake using Controls screen) but I don't think you can lock it with it on from the outside. Maybe from the app? Also if someone breaks in they can drive it, so not ideal.

While not ideal for sure, it works really well. I do it frequently. Willing to take a modest amount of risk to gain the convenience and enjoyment. Might bite me one day, but I like doing this and locking the key in the car with the remote app too. Frankly I'm more worried that the app will fail me than someone will steal the car.

hmmm...what i do is the neutral/parking brake like all are discussing. i take the key fob with me and lock the door with the key fob, and as far as i know, the car is locked. i will double check this today.

What I do is close the door, but not all the way. I just close it super lightly, so the A/C and everything else stays on. But of course, it's risky and I wouldn't do it when going into a store. Only when the vehicle is close by and in my sight. Otherwise I just turn on the A/C via mobile app as soon as i get off the car so it stays cool

Awesome tip. I never thought of clicking the RemoteS.

Could be wrong, but I think the Remote S app has a camping mode, which will automatically keep the AC going for as long as you want. Its not a perfect solution, but click the REMOTE S at the top middle of the app and read about Camp Mode. You have to keep your phone on and set to that app/page to keep it going. But it will work...