TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Qs about Towing with Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Rex’s Red, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:28 PM.

1. Rex’s Red

Rex’s Red New Member

Hi all. Took my 2016 MX on a camping trip this past weekend and for the first time towed the trailer. Turned heads, and those campground peeps sure do ask a lot of questions!

My question is two-fold; I kept getting an error message saying I was towing but "vehicle is not equipped with tow package" (but it is). Did the service center forget to upgrade something software/firmware or something?

2nd question - after getting home, and unhooking the trailer, I drove downtown to do some errands, and the car was acting like the regenerative braking was completely turned off - I rarely use my brake, and I had to use it a lot to get the car to slow down! I couldn't find anything to reset it... Is this normal? Will it return to normal? IMG_8541.jpg NQ%HYrb+RWWDxkk28z4BLQ.jpg

• Love x 1
  2. dlsspy

dlsspy Member

Were you still in trailer mode? It gets rid of a ton of features.

3. Rex’s Red

Rex’s Red New Member

The little trailer icon was gone, so I thought I wasn’t. It was weird to not feel the resistance!

4. j-rho

j-rho Member

Did Regen get switched to low (there’s a menu setting under Driving I think). Or did you charge up near full?

I’ve towed quite a bit with mine now, Regen works great to keep things in check down grades, it’s never changed the setting. Never seen that error, sure looks like something up in software. The blue trailer icon is a good sign though. Were the lights and trailer brakes all functioning?

5. jetek2588

jetek2588 New Member

Noticed that your battery level in the picture was almost 100 percent. When the battery is at that high charge state, regenerative braking will be less. The excess power can no longer be absorbed by the battery so the car will revert to friction braking.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    Love the setup. Must to a blog one day to let us know all the ins and outs.

7. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

Does Tow Mode only show up on the menu if you have the towing package?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That is my understanding, yes. All Model X now come with the package, but there was a time when you could order the tow hitch, but not the trailer tow package (so you could use hitch mounted bike racks etc.)

9. Rex’s Red

Rex’s Red New Member

You know, I'm betting this is the reason. I have noticed that I cannot tap on the carat and then tap on charging - it just reverts to the last screen I was on. (Where you go to look at Energy used, etc.) But two days after I removed the trailer, the car warned me about trip charging all the time, and it let me get to where I could turn it down again, and now the regen braking seems to be working again. Makes total sense. Thank you!

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Your regen was limited because your battery charge level was high.

It appears you did not purchase the Tow Package option from Tesla? Did you install your hitch yourself?

11. Rex’s Red

Rex’s Red New Member

I did purchase it from Tesla. They installed it late last fall. This is my first time using it. Part of me wonders if there is a software update, or a firmware update, that I am missing.

12. ARMARM

ARMARM Member

I had the tow package installed on my X last month, I realised the next day that there was no option to enable Trailer mode in the settings, I contacted my local SC and they were able to update it remotely.

• Like x 1