Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find a thread or group to join in on so I thought I'd start one and just see what happens.

Hey all! I'm in the QC area and have a Model 3 reservation and I know I'm not alone. What are some of you getting for estimated delivery dates? What do you think about the RWD and all season tires vs our winter?

I'm showing February to April for me, I'm not a current owner and pre-ordered April 1st. I was super nervous because I've never done anything near putting $1000 on a vehicle before so I couldn't do "sight unseen" and even wavered a bit on the 1st before finally pulling the trigger. Looking back? Best thing I could have done!

Anyway, I thought I'd post and see if any QC area people want to share their delivery estimate, talk Tesla in general and enjoy the agony of anticipation together!

I'll share a quick story...

Though I have a Model 3 reservation and shop regularly at the Hyvee with the Super Charger, I'd NEVER even sat in a Tesla until recently. I'd just spend my days ogling them online and craning my neck when I saw some around the area.
A few weeks back I decided "eh, why not" and totally blindsided a gentleman walking to the store after plugging in his Model S to charge, asking him about his car. Well, that turned out to be a great decision because not only was he super excited to discuss, and extremely knowledgeable, he also happened to work where I work! What are the odds? (It's a big employer and we work in different areas so we likely would never cross paths at work).

We ended up going for lunch (he drove and I did my best not to geek out, though I was smiling ear to ear the whole time) and just talked about all kinds of things related to Tesla, Model S, Model 3, etc. It was very enjoyable and makes for what I think is a great story. My first ride in a Tesla.

If he happens to be a reader of TMC forums and happens to see this, thank you again sir!

Reactions: jbcarioca and IdaX
Awesome story. It took me about three years before I was ready to get my S. But I finally got it in February and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I've got about 14k miles on it in six months...which is more driving than I have done in quite some time. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the 3 once you get it. Driving electric is so much of a better experience than any gas car I've ever been in.

Personally I have the AWD on my S and I'm glad that I do, but I don't know that I would have been too worried about winters if I only had RWD. The way these things handle and the 50/50 weight distribution and the traction control all work together to make it a car that can excel in poor road conditions.

I think i mentioned in another thread, I'm an M3 reservation holder, my parents recently bought an S which maybe you've seen around town. I have a lot of fun driving it when I get to use it. I'm not sure the AWD is necessary but it's worth the piece of mind for a few thousand dollars. Especially at that price level.

I will hold out for the M3 AWD if a good deal doesn't come long for a used S or X.

IMG_0594.JPG
I just saw a black one charging at Hyvee, maybe that's your parents? :)
I went back and read your post in the supercharger thread, definitely would be interested to know your thoughts after the road trip you mentioned. I can't imagine it will be anything but "so much better than an ICE car."

My wife and I took advantage of Tesla's offer (we had visited the Wesmont location and they wanted to come visit us at home) and had them out and had friends and family over. We weren't sure what to expect really...when an awesome Tesla employee named Josh pulls up in a brand new P100D Model S! Oh man! All my guests took turns driving it, riding in it as passengers, and thoroughly exhausting the poor guy Josh as I'm sure he was ready to go home and still had a drive back to Westmont ahead of him. It was a great time, though the rain that day made it so we couldn't really experience what the P100D is truly capable of. Also I think I have friends that now "hate" me because they want one and can't get the car out of there head.

It was a sad moment to watch it leave.

Reactions: IdaX
View attachment 239715 I just saw a black one charging at Hyvee, maybe that's your parents? :)
I went back and read your post in the supercharger thread, definitely would be interested to know your thoughts after the road trip you mentioned. I can't imagine it will be anything but "so much better than an ICE car."

My wife and I took advantage of Tesla's offer (we had visited the Wesmont location and they wanted to come visit us at home) and had them out and had friends and family over. We weren't sure what to expect really...when an awesome Tesla employee named Josh pulls up in a brand new P100D Model S! Oh man! All my guests took turns driving it, riding in it as passengers, and thoroughly exhausting the poor guy Josh as I'm sure he was ready to go home and still had a drive back to Westmont ahead of him. It was a great time, though the rain that day made it so we couldn't really experience what the P100D is truly capable of. Also I think I have friends that now "hate" me because they want one and can't get the car out of there head.

It was a sad moment to watch it leave.

Very well could have been. It has personalized Iowa Hawkeye plates. That sounds like a cool experience having them come down. I'm going to be meeting my parents sales rep next trip up to Chicago to see if they have any inventory stock I'd be interested in.

My parents are having service done while we are on vacation in Phoenix later this month and I'm looking forward to seeing the loaner. Probably too soon for a a demo Model 3 to be at the showroom. :\

Did I post this thread in a Supercharger section? If so, maybe I can get a mod to move it to its proper location. I was posting in there, sort of going off topic, when I decided I was going to start this thread.

WWS if you do end up in the QC with your Model 3, maybe you could post something here so we can all come drool and smile through clenched teeth looking at your ride! ;)

Hopefully the dealerships will have a Model 3 to show off/sit in/test drive before the year is out.

Jgillispie, do you know if your parents Model S paint is the Solid Black or Obsidian Black Metallic? My wife and I were in the TJMax/Hyvee area and saw a black S with Hawkeye plates today and I thought of your post. It could have been someone else, but the odds are good enough I decided to ask you here. (Don't want to post the exact plates though, that feels kinda like an invasion of privacy!)

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering the black for my Model 3 and the S I saw today looked really great. If it's the same black available as the base Model 3 then I think I'm sold!

Jgillispie, do you know if your parents Model S paint is the Solid Black or Obsidian Black Metallic? My wife and I were in the TJMax/Hyvee area and saw a black S with Hawkeye plates today and I thought of your post. It could have been someone else, but the odds are good enough I decided to ask you here. (Don't want to post the exact plates though, that feels kinda like an invasion of privacy!)

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering the black for my Model 3 and the S I saw today looked really great. If it's the same black available as the base Model 3 then I think I'm sold!
They got the base black. Only options on it are pano,subzero weather and AWD. I don't know if they were over in that area today but I will ask.

@jgillispie thank you very much for looking into that and replying here. I really appreciate it. This helped to answer my question of color, I'm pretty much sold on the solid black now. Like, 98% sure (gotta leave the door slightly open, I have some months to go after all!) :)

@Lovesword My estimated delivery for a Model 3 was shown as Oct. - Dec. if I want the long range RWD model (I reserved March 31 in first minutes of the online option). I had been planning on the long range option with the AWD since my work round trip is about 60 miles. That said I went and got an Inventory Model S at the end of June and have been loving it ever since. Since the Model 3 for me (long range and AWD) isn't an option until next fall, I figured the Model S would give me time to adapt to the paradigm of no gas (such as now do i keep my windshield clean now) and if I decide it is too big, or in some way not for me, the Model 3 is still out there for me.
I probably hit the Hy-vee once a week or so, and so far, it has been fairly lonely there, with the most cars there including me being 3. My sample size is admittedly pretty small, but the most popular color has been the Midnight Gray. I do see a red one (I believe it is always the same one) there when I drive by every morning though.

@Lovesword My estimated delivery for a Model 3 was shown as Oct. - Dec. if I want the long range RWD model (I reserved March 31 in first minutes of the online option). I had been planning on the long range option with the AWD since my work round trip is about 60 miles. That said I went and got an Inventory Model S at the end of June and have been loving it ever since. Since the Model 3 for me (long range and AWD) isn't an option until next fall, I figured the Model S would give me time to adapt to the paradigm of no gas (such as now do i keep my windshield clean now) and if I decide it is too big, or in some way not for me, the Model 3 is still out there for me.
I probably hit the Hy-vee once a week or so, and so far, it has been fairly lonely there, with the most cars there including me being 3. My sample size is admittedly pretty small, but the most popular color has been the Midnight Gray. I do see a red one (I believe it is always the same one) there when I drive by every morning though.

I might pull the trigger on something before winter but I will be curious to hear your experience with our winter. Did you get a RWD or AWD? I see a lot of people saying RWD is fine with Tesla's but we get very slick and windy winters here with so many winter days get just around the freezing point. Warm enough to ice up areas. I'm hesitant to spend that much on a car only to find out it's not good enough.

Very cool @jakeinator, great to hear how much you're enjoying your S! It's possible I've seen you up there at Hyvee if you go in the afternoons. I always look over at the SC area like a kid on Christmas Eve looking for/at wrapped presents under the tree! I'm up there somewhat often too as my household is just my wife and I and we buy smaller amounts of groceries multiple times per week. (Mushrooms, and shoestring potato chips today for tonight's dinner! Oh, and powerball!)

I followed a silver Model X into the lot today off of 53rd, it looked super clean and oh so sharp! It had dealer plates, I noted. After pulling in Hyvee's lot off Utica, it took a left towards the SC and I took a right to go park and that was that. I do think Tesla sightings are getting more frequent in the QC, but I still geek out when I see them!

I'm also interested in what @jgillispie asked you regarding winter driving. I've heard it all, it seems... from pros like "RWD is fine" and "better than AWD ICE cars" to cons like "AWD is a must" and "better have winter tires."

I'm going to go with the RWD LR because I have a feeling with how I drive I'll be fine. Plus I don't think I can wait any longer! (The $7500 credit is also high on the list of "why not wait" for me)

Anyone know an electrician? Looking to get two NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage.

Very cool @jakeinator, great to hear how much you're enjoying your S! It's possible I've seen you up there at Hyvee if you go in the afternoons. I always look over at the SC area like a kid on Christmas Eve looking for/at wrapped presents under the tree! I'm up there somewhat often too as my household is just my wife and I and we buy smaller amounts of groceries multiple times per week. (Mushrooms, and shoestring potato chips today for tonight's dinner! Oh, and powerball!)

I followed a silver Model X into the lot today off of 53rd, it looked super clean and oh so sharp! It had dealer plates, I noted. After pulling in Hyvee's lot off Utica, it took a left towards the SC and I took a right to go park and that was that. I do think Tesla sightings are getting more frequent in the QC, but I still geek out when I see them!

I'm also interested in what @jgillispie asked you regarding winter driving. I've heard it all, it seems... from pros like "RWD is fine" and "better than AWD ICE cars" to cons like "AWD is a must" and "better have winter tires."

I'm going to go with the RWD LR because I have a feeling with how I drive I'll be fine. Plus I don't think I can wait any longer! (The $7500 credit is also high on the list of "why not wait" for me)

Anyone know an electrician? Looking to get two NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage.

@Lovesword @jgillispie Sorry, I was out on vacation for a few days. I got the AWD, and of course it feels great in the current weather :) I had test drove a RWD a couple years ago, right before the D's were available and it drove nice too, also in perfect weather. Since I got the 90D, I didn't really have an option anymore. That said, I had decided to get AWD either way since I drive around 30 miles to work each way, so it was a little easier for me to justify having the better traction and control if i need to drive in the weather. I have driven other RWD and AWD cars previously and definitely noticed the difference in those (albeit not Teslas with the same weighting). It has all season tires, like my previous AWD cars, and I never had winter tires with those. If I had RWD, I would definitely consider the winter tires. I will drive it this winter and be seeing how things go and still consider winter tires if i have issues, but wouldn't expect to need them (may change my mind in those very bad condition days, but they normally are the exception).

Hope this helps a little,
Jake

Reactions: aaeverett
Thanks @aaeverett, I thought a QC thread would catch some traction. If not, I figured I was out a few minutes of typing and nothing more! It's always awesome to hear other people's stories and experiences. How was your test drive? Did you take the plunge? We were up there this past weekend as well! Maybe around 2pm... and, well....

@jakeinator apparently you and my wife work together, small world! I believe she told you, so I think that green lights me to post here. Your S is going to have company in about a month or two! She ordered one! I'm excited for her (and also for myself cuz I'll hopefully get to drive it too!). I had Khoeler over yesterday to estimate running a line to the garage. Waiting to hear back from them, and made some calls to other electricians so I have some comparatives.

Lastly, I'm excited to say that with my wife getting an S, my preorder for the Model 3 should move up! The store in Westmont guesstimated Oct-Dec delivery! Also, our household is going to be fully electric as far as vehicles go. Makes me nervous a bit but excited as well.