TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Quad semi, dual S charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by henderrj, Aug 3, 2018.

1. henderrj

henderrj Member

I once opined that Tesla would use multiple connectors to charge the semi thus creating the version 3 supercharger. I'm now wondering if perhaps they'll use 4 of the current connections giving a possible maximum somewhere around 600 kilowatt. I can easily see the model S and X having two connectors, for a price of course, getting double what's possible now. Up to 300 kilowatt with some new charging equipment.

Thoughts?

2. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Packs have to be capable of it.

For a ~800kWh - 1MWh semi pack, 600kW charging should be no problem... it's less than 1C.

For a Model X, 300kW charging would be 3C for current pack sizes... even if they introduce a larger pack like a 120, that would still be a significant jump in C rate as compared to today...

• Like x 1
  3. henderrj

henderrj Member

True, true. But not out of the realm of even current technological possibility. But I'm also wondering, particularly in the case of the semi, if they might not just use multiple packs. Perhaps multiple model 3 packs like they're using multiple model 3 Motors. Sounds less elegant, but in fact may work quite well. Simple is sometimes the best!

4. scaesare

I suspect the Semi may indeed be multiple packs stacked as one logical unit... now as to if they charge independently via multiple supercharger circuits or not, the total ppower each sees and the C rate they can handle still applies.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

They will need yo be from different cabinets. Remember the current superchargers are sharing stalls so if you want 4 at 600KW total charging you would need to take up to 8 stalls.

6. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Indeed, there are pics of a semi prototype charging at the Kettleman City supercharger doing exactly that...

• Informative x 1
  7. henderrj

henderrj Member

I did see that picture after I made my earlier post. Obviously that's a stopgap measure. In the future I think you will find that these will be large vehicle, or at least multi charger vehicle, dedicated spaces. Thus they will be made for it. Now, would they allow the Dual charger passenger vehicles to go to the same place to charge? Or would they simply tell you to use 2b and 3A?

8. animorph

animorph Member

How fast can you charge one battery cell from an S or X? I think it's the same time you can currently charge the entire battery pack. No room there for faster charging. We need bigger packs, or faster charging cell chemistries, before dual chargers, or 800V chargers, will do anything for us.

• Like x 1
  9. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Agree, just pointing out that lends a lot of credibility to the idea that the semi “pack” is likely 4 discrete packs, at least at this point in the prototype stage.

• Like x 1
  10. henderrj

henderrj Member

If you study the C rate you may quickly find that the problem isn't with the cells within the Tesla battery pack. It's the design of the pack and the charging system. We should be able to charge about twice as fast if it was just up to the cells. But there's a lot more going on than that! And cooling is a major, major, deal. That's the biggest problem to solve.

• Disagree x 1
  11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Wouldn’t they in that case just have 1 cabinet supplying 1 stall?
    That way only 4 stalls are needed

12. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

4 stalls needed, but the 4 stalls should not be sharing. i.e. if they use 1A, 1B cannot be used by anyone including themselves. So they would need to use 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B better but unoccupied by any tesla to get the full 480KW charging. However if they are connected to 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, then the max they will get is 240KW charging.

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Yeah that’s what I assumed the op meant
    I’m sure they’ll have each stall served by a cabinet. Since it’s a business that’s going to be relying on these chargers they’d want those trucks charged up as quickly as possible.

However I’m still skeptical about any long haul operators using tesla for their fleet.
    I think mostly regional and local fleets would use them, in which case they wouldn’t need a supercharger network

I could be wrong though! I’m just happy to be here for such exciting times in the automotive industry (electric semi, Tesla roadster and it’s 600+ miles of range)

14. Blup85

Blup85 Member

I posted some info in another semi thread, but I've seen the charge port and wand for the semi. Its setup to take two Supercharger cables which from what I could see, they used extension cords to come from two separate cabinets (1A an 4A). I have no idea of how many packs (maybe each cable charged 2 packs in parallel?).

15. henderrj

henderrj Member

Interesting! Thanks for the update.

16. miimura

miimura Active Member

It is also possible that it is 4 independent packs with one drive motor per pack. That provides the redundancy that Elon was talking about for "no breakdowns". The Semi connector has been photographed and I'm pretty sure it contained 4 pairs of big contacts.

17. scaesare

Yup:

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2
  18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Tesla has been quoted as intending to dramatically increase the speeds and capacities of their Supercharger network. Imaging this technology would also apply to the trucks. The trucks will be designed to accept ultra fast DC charging, so no on board chargers would be necessary for commercial usage.

They could start their day off with a full charge, then top off their batteries while loading or unloading. Should be super efficient.​