Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality Control, is this acceptable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kev1n

Nov 17, 2016
SF Bay Area
my original steering wheel was replaced under extended warranty, it had very excessive fading/discoloring.

the following pictures are of the new one i got, it came with a line dent at the bottom, i asked them about it when i picked up the car and their answer was that the whole batch came like that from their manufacturer(~10 of them).

do you think this is acceptable? seems like they need to work out quality control with their manufacturer.

9B235A65-D48D-41D4-AF58-5DD8CEB9BC46_zpsjvfmdlzw.jpg

5845733B-D153-486B-B3B0-90D2F433B673_zpsuwtdckab.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: croman
my original steering wheel was replaced under extended warranty, it had very excessive fading/discoloring.

the following pictures are of the new one i got, it came with a line dent at the bottom, i asked them about it when i picked up the car and their answer was that the whole batch came like that from their manufacturer(~10 of them).

do you think this is acceptable? seems like they need to work out quality control with their manufacturer.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Maybe ask them for a free tshirt or something from the gift shop and call it even.

their answer was that the whole batch came like that from their manufacturer

My response would politely be, "That is your problem; not mine."

I would then schedule another service for a replacement. Before going back to the SC I would ask that the shipment be inspected prior to you coming in.

Some may find an indentation like this in their brand-new steering wheel acceptable; others including myself would not.

Some of my related issues:

According to my SC, the bumps and dents in the soft portion of the non-alcantera dash are a defect with all of these types of Tesla dashboards. They ordered two to replace mine and they were each worse than what I already had.​

The metal grate portion of the dash also had a dent in it upon delivery. Had it replaced and it too had a dent. I have already advised my SC that I will be bringing it in for a second replacement.​

If you're not happy, then have Tesla fix it. I certainly would.

Reactions: slipnslider