Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality Control Issues Q1 2017

Please Rate Your Q1 2017 Factory/Delivery Quality?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many threads on negative quality issues in Q3 and Q4 2016 (from the factory/delivery) which is to be expected in these forums (internet forums trend negative in general). I posted on this in the official Tesla Forums here but they can't do POLLS. Quality Control Update Q1 2017 | Tesla

Based on my own very positive experience with literally 0 issues, it's time to start a Poll to track Quality Control Issues better.

Go Vote!

We had a loose connector on one seat affecting the lumbar support. Other than that, no problems with the car.

The remaining issues are all software - such as the inability to get the station list for XM radio - a bug Tesla introduced in 8.0, along with other software problems that we also have in our S P85.

Minor paint blemish (looks like overspray of the clear-coat) on the frunk (hood). The SC was willing to have it repaired at a Tesla certified body shop but it would have resulted in having to re-paint the hood and both quarter panels to ensure matching.

I opted to not have it done and have accepted to live with it. TBH its only visible at certain angles and I tend to not look for it :)

Not great, but not terrible. Seems that the SC should have caught some of these items before you dot the car.
1 & 4 fixed in a day, though I did have to bring it into the service center on a Friday to be serviced on Monday.
I don't know if the cargo floor (3) is already in stock.

How long to fix?
The radar was fixed in one day, sounded like it's a common issue.

But (3), the paint defect, literally smaller than a US$ nickel, is what is making me wait for almost 2 weeks now already. It's been sitting in the parking lot of the paint shop. The service center made a mistake to send the car over to the body shop without the work being scheduled. I could have been happily driving around with auto-pilot, instead I'm stuck with an uncomfortable and diesel guzzling BMW X3. No Tesla loaners available, but the low roof line and seating position of a Model S wouldn't have been good for my back either.

Picked up my M60 at Fremont and the delivery was two hours late because they found a coolant leak.

After that was resolved, the following issues post-delivery have surfaced:

-Crack on All-Glass-Roof between glass laminations.
-Driver's door doesn't always close, door panel loose
-Trunk doesn't always close (no PUP)
-Driver's side mirror vibrates while driving
-Passenger's side mirror randomly readjusts itself. Auto-tilting on/off makes no difference.
-Bunching on gaskets around rear passenger's door
-Error that charge door needs to be replaced
-Slop/shimmy in steering over 60mph
-Rear passenger speaker vibrates on phone call

In love with the car but definitely bummed my list is so deep. Service appointment next week.

Anyone see any of these issues before?

Reactions: gabeincal
I took home delivery of my 60D 10 days ago. After reading this forum, I was pretty nervous especially since I live more than 400 miles form the nearest service center. The only issue is a bunching of the seal around a rear passenger window. I just called my DS to have it noted so that it could get fixed later whenever I really need something fixed. Although I'm pretty sure Tesla wouldn't give me any trouble about it.
My passenger side mirror squeaks each time it folds which makes me nervous that it's going to get stuck some day. So far so good.

My P100D QC issues.

~Driver's side chrome trim misaligned.
~ Mirror's wouldn't fold back out
~ The Model S badge was crooked.
~ Chrome trim under mirror was popping out.
~ Small dent at the bottom of driver side door.
~ The sunroof wind deflector wouldn't come up.

The SC fixed all of this. But the drivers chrome trim is continuously popping back up.

Reactions: gabeincal
My P100D QC issues.

~Driver's side chrome trim misaligned.
~ Mirror's wouldn't fold back out
~ The Model S badge was crooked.
~ Chrome trim under mirror was popping out.
~ Small dent at the bottom of driver side door.
~ The sunroof wind deflector wouldn't come up.

The SC fixed all of this. But the drivers chrome trim is continuously popping back up.

Weird that after five years in production they can't the chrome strips to seat properly. My 2016 has the same issue in passenger side - but I've never bothered to take it in. Maybe it isn't as simple to install as we think.

Q4 2016 car:

NEGATIVES:
-paint scratches and imperfections throughout
-missing clearcoat along roof line (can scratch paint with fingernail)
-creases in leather throughout
-wind noise
-HEPA filter seal not installed properly
-door seals deformed

POSITIVES:
-car steering aligned well, drives straight with no hands
-no brake squeal
-no dents
-glass seems OK
-panels aligned OK

Not much for me so far.
- Sideskirt was not clipped properly. Just pushed it in place
- door seals are deformed on rear door... Not much I can do there. Just live with it.

On a non qc aspect, the car was quite dirty when I got delivery, in and out... dissapointed.

I don't know what the problem is but they need to fix it.
ASAP. NOBODY wants a car that has chrome trim popping up!

To be fair, not that I'm excusing Tesla in any way, I hired a brand new Mercedes C220D in Paris before Xmas (15kms on odo) and the drivers door silver window trim needed me to give it a whack over a few days to get it to seat properly. This car was built in South Africa and I drove it 9700kms over five weeks with no other problems.

Tesla, customers are NOT QAQC, that's the last bay on the left before the car leaves the production line.