Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality control issues with my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my Y for just over 2 weeks and absolutely love it. Even after reading all the horror stories and an overnight test drive, the car was just too much fun not to buy. At delivery I had a few issues and some that were not picked up until very recently. I got the usual "within spec" spiel from the DS. After showing him a couple of other Model Ys without some of those issues, the DS agreed to book a service appointment.

My service appointment was scheduled for today but has now been pushed back to Tuesday as they can't do the work required on a weekend, so here's a list of issues so far that need to be fixed:

Paint blemish on rear passenger door
Trunk gap with roof.
Passenger side rear door gap.
Scratched headliner on passenger side rear
Drivers side rocker panel loose near front wheel well
Passenger side door handle not flush
and.... discovered today the trunk strut bracket not screwed in correctly.

Seriously though, someone needs to give the QA team a kick up the back side with a pair of steel toe capped boots. While I hate to see people fired, it's time for Tesla to start employing folks who actually take pride in their work.

Attachments

• IMG_4905.jpg
    IMG_4905.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 381
Paint blemish on rear passenger door (Can you provide a photo where the blemish can be seen?, It might be better to just leave it as any attempt at more than buffing the panel could make it worse.)
Trunk gap with roof. (Tesla will probably say the gap is within spec.)
Passenger side rear door gap. (Tesla will probably say the gap is within spec.)
Scratched headliner on passenger side rear (Tesla might agree to replace the headliner. Replacing the headliner could create rattles where none now exist.)
Drivers side rocker panel loose near front wheel well (Tesla will probably want to inspect, determine if the part is defective then order, install a replacement.)
Passenger side door handle not flush (Tesla service might agree to adjust the door handle depth.)
and.... discovered today the trunk strut bracket not screwed in correctly. (Tesla service should be able to correctly install the strut bracket.)

Unless the headliner is bad, I'd be careful about having it replaced. Mine was replaced for a similar issue and the replacement just had a slightly different snag. I decided to keep it as it is really minor.

Unfortunately this material snags really easily, and it is very likely to not be perfect everywhere if you look really closely.

Of course, if it is really bad and right in your line of sight it is almost certainly worth getting fixed.

kinda goes to show how far ahead overall, Tesla is over all other makers. MANY known QA related issues and yet, sales (especially of the Y) are insatiable. Because otherwise, what you are you going to get that has similiar range/acceleration/tech/charging network?

Which is why I HOPE other makers catch up FAST. Competition is GOOD

Reactions: Chemios
Tesla QC sucks but their target market doesn't care. Therefore they have no incentive to improve. I expect as soon as they get some real competition from other car companies they will then work on QC as they lose market share. Kinda reminds me of the garbage Detroit used to put out in the late 70's and 80's. Only when the Japanese companies started eating their lunch did they change their wicked ways.

Tesla QC sucks but their target market doesn't care. Therefore they have no incentive to improve. I expect as soon as they get some real competition from other car companies they will then work on QC as they lose market share. Kinda reminds me of the garbage Detroit used to put out in the late 70's and 80's. Only when the Japanese companies started eating their lunch did they change their wicked ways.
Bingo. The only reason I am going with Tesla EV is because of the charging network and range. No other automaker is even close.

Exactly. My very first car was a Ford in the mid-80s that came with a ton of problems. After that one and only American car purchase, all my subsequent purchases have been Japanese (Honda, Toyota, Infiniti, Acura, Lexus). That might be the same risk they'll face.

Reactions: InternetDude
Sorry to hear Hammerhead, very frustrating. I am currently going through a similar situation. Got the MY delivered last Wednesday with a tear on the passenger seat, rear spoiler coming off, trim sticking out. I am going to check more in-depth tomorrow as there could be other issues.
I also started reading on this forum all the issues with the AC, leaky windows, mysterious ear pain, etc. Tesla does nothing to correct the quality control and so many are willing to accept this imperfections.
As much as I love the car if I would have stumbled into this forum before I would have seriously considered before buying a Tesla.

Sorry to hear Hammerhead, very frustrating. I am currently going through a similar situation. Got the MY delivered last Wednesday with a tear on the passenger seat, rear spoiler coming off, trim sticking out. I am going to check more in-depth tomorrow as there could be other issues.
I also started reading on this forum all the issues with the AC, leaky windows, mysterious ear pain, etc. Tesla does nothing to correct the quality control and so many are willing to accept this imperfections.
As much as I love the car if I would have stumbled into this forum before I would have seriously considered before buying a Tesla.
Sorry to hear of your woes. I read this forum before purchasing and was in two minds until I did the overnight test drive. Still love the car, but Tesla has a long way to go to get their act together. Before there was email, people used to write letters. I encourage people to share their negative experiences by writing to Elon's office. Maybe when they get bombarded with letters, then they might actually start taking things seriously.

kinda goes to show how far ahead overall, Tesla is over all other makers. MANY known QA related issues and yet, sales (especially of the Y) are insatiable. Because otherwise, what you are you going to get that has similiar range/acceleration/tech/charging network?

Which is why I HOPE other makers catch up FAST. Competition is GOOD
There will be none until they have a vast Supercharger network!!!!!

Sorry about continued QC issues. My 88xxx, delivered 12/26/20, fit and finish is flawless, zero QC issues, exceptional paint (as determined by the 20-year experienced guy who did the ceramic coating.)

To state that Tesla is doing nothing about QC issues is an exaggeration. That would assume they're content with delivering less-than-perfect cars.

Many here believe the issue isn't as much QC from the factory as it is sloppy, lazy prep work at the Service Center. ALL MANUFACTURERS have a dedicated area at their dealerships that do the final tweaking after delivery. Evidently, Tesla hasn't been willing to improve this weak link in their production.

Sorry about continued QC issues. My 88xxx, delivered 12/26/20, fit and finish is flawless, zero QC issues, exceptional paint (as determined by the 20-year experienced guy who did the ceramic coating.)

To state that Tesla is doing nothing about QC issues is an exaggeration. That would assume they're content with delivering less-than-perfect cars.

Many here believe the issue isn't as much QC from the factory as it is sloppy, lazy prep work at the Service Center. ALL MANUFACTURERS have a dedicated area at their dealerships that do the final tweaking after delivery. Evidently, Tesla hasn't been willing to improve this weak link in their production.
Oversees cars can also get adjusted during transportation, at the dock, then finally during the PDI. Domestic cars don’t have those freedoms especially Tesla with such high demand.

Last new Honda I bought, they bought back under the Lemon Law. They all have quality issues.

Reactions: Nolakai