Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality control issues with my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say the issue with Teslas is they seem to be fairly widespread. I can tell you in the last month, 3 of the 6 Teslas I drove had issues with their demo cars. Can't tell you the last manufacturer where I saw anything like this. Can't say the paint was great on some of them either. I even pointed out some of the issues, which shouldn't have been too bad to fix, and 3 weeks later, nobody had done anything about them so I experienced them again when I went for another test drive.

I don't know how good Tesla would be about buying back a car. I worked at corporate Honda for some time and they were generally more willing to do this than many companies to keep goodwill. A major difference between Tesla and other companies is their lack of a dealer network. I have found that a good dealer can be very helpful with warranty issues, lemon law issues, etc. Obviously a bad dealer can make things worse for you. My experience has been to befriend my local dealer so if I ever need assistance, they are in my corner. This was crucial when I had an issue with a prominent German car company and they were reluctant to buy back the car even though the car obviously had issues. The dealer advocated on my behalf to help resolve this as I was a long standing customer. If I had been going head-on with the manufacturer to resolve this, it would have taken a lot longer to resolve without their help. Getting the courts involved sometimes doesn't help and causes the company to dig in their heels.

My biggest concern with a new Tesla is getting the generic "it is within specs" answer and having to fight to get stuffed that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

I would say the issue with Teslas is they seem to be fairly widespread. I can tell you in the last month, 3 of the 6 Teslas I drove had issues with their demo cars. Can't tell you the last manufacturer where I saw anything like this. Can't say the paint was great on some of them either. I even pointed out some of the issues, which shouldn't have been too bad to fix, and 3 weeks later, nobody had done anything about them so I experienced them again when I went for another test drive.

I don't know how good Tesla would be about buying back a car. I worked at corporate Honda for some time and they were generally more willing to do this than many companies to keep goodwill. A major difference between Tesla and other companies is their lack of a dealer network. I have found that a good dealer can be very helpful with warranty issues, lemon law issues, etc. Obviously a bad dealer can make things worse for you. My experience has been to befriend my local dealer so if I ever need assistance, they are in my corner. This was crucial when I had an issue with a prominent German car company and they were reluctant to buy back the car even though the car obviously had issues. The dealer advocated on my behalf to help resolve this as I was a long standing customer. If I had been going head-on with the manufacturer to resolve this, it would have taken a lot longer to resolve without their help. Getting the courts involved sometimes doesn't help and causes the company to dig in their heels.

My biggest concern with a new Tesla is getting the generic "it is within specs" answer and having to fight to get stuffed that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.
Also, I have never inspected a new car with a checklist like I did with my new MY. I am sure if I did this with other new cars I would have found something that wasn’t major. I looked at one of our German vehicles and it def has 1 panel gap that is larger than others. Never noticed it in 10 years.

So a few months after getting our S Plaid and still working on getting all it's issues resolved, received our MYP this weekend.

Being our third Tesla experience, I should have known that Tesla is at least consistent with their poor QA. 🤣

At least it seems the normal paint issues, alignment, and several small interior cosmetic issues.... Oh, but with a twist of missing parts (front USB and wireless charging, Mud Flaps and PPF)

Looks like there is a limit of how many pics you can upload, so I will spare everyone any more pics. ;)

Update: It appears the dent/indentation on the frunk, near the Tesla logo pops back into place when the frunk is opened. Perhaps it just needs to be adjusted/aligned.

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_133307.jpg
    IMG_20211113_133307.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 102
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (9).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (9).jpg
    327 KB · Views: 79
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (10).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (10).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 79
  • ModelY_Issues2_Resize (2).jpg
    ModelY_Issues2_Resize (2).jpg
    294 KB · Views: 90
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (7).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (7).jpg
    171 KB · Views: 81
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (5).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (5).jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 82
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (4).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (4).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 78
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (3).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (3).jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 79
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (2).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (2).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 76
  • signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (1).jpg
    signal-2021-11-17-10-04-45-398 (1).jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chemios and jsight
So a few months after getting our S Plaid and still working on getting all it's issues resolved, received our MYP this weekend.

Being our third Tesla experience, I should have known that Tesla is at least consistent with their poor QA. 🤣

At least it seems the normal paint issues, alignment, and several small interior cosmetic issues.... Oh, but with a twist of missing parts (front USB and wireless charging, Mud Flaps and PPF)

Looks like there is a limit of how many pics you can upload, so I will spare everyone any more pics. ;)

Update: It appears the dent/indentation on the frunk, near the Tesla logo pops back into place when the frunk is opened. Perhaps it just needs to be adjusted/aligned.
That is insane, it should not even be allowed....crazy stuff, it is ridiculous how they can get away with it

I would have rejected that. The paint issues alone are enough.

Does anyone else have this bump in the trim area of the back hatch near the bottom of the window interior? (marked with blue tape)

Just curious if it's normal. I've had almost all my issues resolved besides the missing wireless charger/USB ports, "leather" damage and possibly this area.
The paint repair was just very light touchups in some areas and can still see through it a bit, but going to live with it.
They replaced the rear quarter panel glass piece that was sticking out, so need to get some tint and PPF replaced soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_162435__01 (1).jpg
    IMG_20211125_162435__01 (1).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 67
Does anyone else have this bump in the trim area of the back hatch near the bottom of the window interior? (marked with blue tape)

Just curious if it's normal. I've had almost all my issues resolved besides the missing wireless charger/USB ports, "leather" damage and possibly this area.
The paint repair was just very light touchups in some areas and can still see through it a bit, but going to live with it.
They replaced the rear quarter panel glass piece that was sticking out, so need to get some tint and PPF replaced soon.

Mine does not have that. It's either a clip that's not properly seated and is pressing against the trim or the plastic is warped. Looking at the parts diagrams it could be the guide that is highlighted is not seated properly, but if that's not the case then it might just be the plastic is warped.

1638221926499.png

Reactions: GroovaEV