Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality control on my new 2021 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The test track must be used to run the full car transporters out of the factory on. Absolutely no way these cars are being driven on a year track prior to delivery. Unless Elon has re employed some old NASA chimps to drive them!

I agree. As I drove my car out of the collection centre at West Drayton there was clearly a problem with the front suspension, it was making loud clunking noises, so loud that after driving about ten feet I stopped and called the collection centre staff over to check the car. They just told me to log a service centre appointment when I got home.

Anyone that had driven my car, from the drive off the line, through the drives on and off transporters and the ship, had to have heard the noise from the broken ball joints. Coupled with the obvious paintwork damage, misaligned glass etc, visible from across the other side of the collection warehouse, I'm absolutely convinced that Tesla don't do any form of PDI, but rely on inconveniencing customers to get all the many production defects put right after they taken your money.

There are still defects with my car, the glass is still misaligned, there's a lot of wind noise from that, the driver's side wing mirror has been fitted with the rubber seal in the wrong place. I've given up with getting any more things fixed, as the hassle involved in getting to Bristol and back is a PITA, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that my next car will not be a Tesla. The car is a great concept, with some outstanding features, but the build quality, including the software, is pretty close to being the worst of any car I've ever owned, except, perhaps, a 1989 Jaguar XJ-S I bought back in 1991 (that really was dire . . .).

Absolutely nothing will change with QC, PDI etc until such time as Tesla feel the pressure from other manufacturers in a meaningful way.

One could argue that the Taycan has introduced some competition for the Model S, but I don't think it's enough for Tesla to change course dramatically.

As things stand, and has been the case for some time, Tesla has that "the EV brand" halo around them, which means people pretty much ignore the naysayers. They continue to sell cars as fast as they can make them. There are enough new customers coming through that negative experiences from existing ones are unimportant to them, or at least not important enough to make seismic changes to their QC and PDI processes. Until that changes, Tesla won't change either, simply because improved QC and PDI would affect their bottom line and impact how fast they can get cars out.