Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality control on my new 2021 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. Very happy with my new M3P which was delivered to me on New Year's Eve. It's everything I had hope for and I plan to remain in the Tesla family until another company can make better cars than them. Unfortunately I have some quality control issues with the interior of my car which have left me disappointed. I have booked the car in at my local service centre in 1 week for them to looked at. I would like your take on any of the issues I have to get some insight/opinion from you all:

1. Strange transparent residue on seats, centre and door arm rests that I am unable to remove
2. Loud metallic sound coming from the rear of the car (it honestly sounds like there is a small metal canister rolling around in the boot. I have checked everywhere and cannot find where this sound is coming from
3. Deep crease to drivers thigh bolster
4. Deep scratches and scrapes to the plastic of the back of the drivers seat
5. Dashboard rattle

I don't want to nit pick again as I am very happy with the car. I just wanted some feedback on the above issues from you all based on your own experiences

Cheers

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
If the rolling metallic cannister sound happens when you're doing sharp turns at low speed I tend to get this too and have just ignored it!

All the other items you should definitely get them to sort, and you might as well ask them to check that sound too while it's in (but it might be normal).

I picked my M3 up on the 29th. All panels straight, no rattles, but there are a few niggles: the bumper is not aligned properly, someone drunk put on the rear number plate and the cameras have condensation etc.

2. Loud metallic sound coming from the rear of the car (it honestly sounds like there is a small metal canister rolling around in the boot. I have checked everywhere and cannot find where this sound is coming from

New If the rolling metallic cannister sound happens when you're doing sharp turns at low speed I tend to get this too and have just ignored it!

Sounds like what we had from day 1. We had a long list of issues and this was on the list that they worked through over far too many service visits. First time they looked at it, it got dismissed, but then on a brief test drive they heard it and subsequently found and fixed it. iirc they ended up taking the centre console apart. A 'goodwill' fix.

I couldn’t really believe the quote about PDI allegedly from a leaked email from Elon:
Elon Musk says Tesla can still achieve milestone of 500,000 cars in 2020, but will need to 'go all out' - Electrek

“Particular help would be appreciated at end of the line to ensure cars built now are able to be delivered immediately without any further improvements in PDI, as there simply isn’t enough time to do so.”

I guess it is even more important financially to deliver the cars and rectify them in service afterwards (which surely must cost more...) than get them right in the first place (but miss delivery targets).

:(

I hope Gigafactory Berlin improves quality.

Sounds like what we had from day 1. We had a long list of issues and this was on the list that they worked through over far too many service visits. First time they looked at it, it got dismissed, but then on a brief test drive they heard it and subsequently found and fixed it. iirc they ended up taking the centre console apart. A 'goodwill' fix.
So what was it that made that sound? I get that sound as well occasionally.

I couldn’t really believe the quote about PDI allegedly from a leaked email from Elon:
Elon Musk says Tesla can still achieve milestone of 500,000 cars in 2020, but will need to 'go all out' - Electrek

“Particular help would be appreciated at end of the line to ensure cars built now are able to be delivered immediately without any further improvements in PDI, as there simply isn’t enough time to do so.”

I guess it is even more important financially to deliver the cars and rectify them in service afterwards (which surely must cost more...) than get them right in the first place (but miss delivery targets).

I took it to mean he wanted higher quality cars rolling off the lines, needing less rectification during PDI because PDI lacked any more capacity.

I recall reading an article a while ago when Tesla was still very young in which Elon basically encouraged cars being pushed out the door with faults to keep production going and then fix them at the SC later.

Whilst a ballsy move at the time and somewhat understandable, along with Tesla's customer base back then.

It's got much better but especially with the 3 being a car for the masses so to speak and new customers increasingly not being fanboys and the ever increasing competition they need to get a jog on in the quality department!

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
I’ve been round both the BMW Mini factory and the Triumph motorcycle factory in the last couple of years. In both, I was astonished at the lengths they go to in order to ensure quality is ‘built in’. I was surprised that every Mini has a test drive on a special test track that incorporates cobbles, rumble strips etc to ensure any rattles are sorted before delivery. I wonder if the Tesla test drive is limited to the trip on to the delivery ship?

I’ve been round both the BMW Mini factory and the Triumph motorcycle factory in the last couple of years. In both, I was astonished at the lengths they go to in order to ensure quality is ‘built in’. I was surprised that every Mini has a test drive on a special test track that incorporates cobbles, rumble strips etc to ensure any rattles are sorted before delivery. I wonder if the Tesla test drive is limited to the trip on to the delivery ship?
Limited to the short drive from the parking area to where they throw you the two access cards at the delivery centre in my view.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ladysbff

I recently rejected 2 BMW F40's, brand new 1 series based on Mini platform, so not convinced they employ much better quality control, unless of course you're from the press or public on a factory tour where the perceived QC is promoted but not actually delivered on the cars their customers get.

Not sure cars built in Berlin will be any better, those I've had from BMW, Audi and VW over last decade certainly haven't been.

I recently rejected 2 BMW F40's, brand new 1 series based on Mini platform, so not convinced they employ much better quality control, unless of course you're from the press or public on a factory tour where the perceived QC is promoted but not actually delivered on the cars their customers get.

Did you give BMW the opportunity to correct the problems? How soon did you reject the cars after collection?

I doubt you'll get anywhere with Tesla customer service.

I returned a M3P within the 7 day return window (when it existed) in September due to paint defects across a couple of panels.

If you're not happy with the car I would return it, complete the form on the last page of this Tesla document ASAP and send to Tesla by Special Delivery:
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=GB&model_code=m3

I'm always surprised what people are willing to put up with on a purchase of £40,000+ - I'm sure most people wouldn't put up with such poor quality control on a £10 item!