Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality difference between a 2018 and 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to the cosmetic improvements, I felt like my friends 2021 Model 3 is built better. Unfortunately my 2019 was sold to really nitpick and compare, but the doors actually feel sturdy in the 2021 whereas with my 2019 I felt like something was missing. They open much nicer than my Model 3. I had some concerns about my upgrade to a 2021 but after sitting in his vehicle I think it was a smart move.

When I go on longer drives and listen to music I remember how much I enjoy the car. But a lot of times I just want to go on a silent drive, listen to a podcast, talk to someone on the phone via bluetooth and that's when I get annoyed by all the noises my 2018 makes.

i know what you mean. Theres a place for psyctrance and bass +8 but sometimes you just want to enjoy some late night cruising listening to BBC5. Not possible in the 3. too much noise.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
How has no one mentioned that they got rid of that awful chrome trim?

I agree that the OG chrome was a bit overboard, but when I blacked mine out I actually kept the door handles chrome because I thought they played off my silver 19" wheels nicely.

I would miss that if I upgrade to a new model :( That little pop of chrome on my car adds a lot of character I think.

Calling the trim chrome, is like calling the seats leather.

Chrome is much worse for the environment, so Elon would be pissed to know so many call the trim chrome. It's anodized aluminum, which has many environmental benefits over chrome.
I like the new black trim, but prefer the chrome "color' door handles on my 2017 M3 (47k miles). And will be tough to lose the colored bubbles on the roof. But warranty will be up in Dec and a choice must be made.

I don’t have a new 3 but my 2021 Y feels much more solid than my June 2018 build 3. There were A LOT of obvious QC issues in the 3 which I don’t see in the Y. I have a lot of things fixed or replaced in my 3.

Overall I’d say the 2021 is much more solid and have better better build quality than 2018. But yes the newer one loses some features.

Don't know if this falls into the general improvement category, but I just had to take my 2018 M3 in for service after it developed a loud recurring squeak (like the ropes on a sailboat). It sounded like it was coming from the area above the windshield. Turns out it was the upper control arms, which the Tesla service tech said was a common problem with early gen Model 3s. Repaired under warranty and the squeak is gone. But sounds like a design issue that (hopefully) has been resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
What is the quality difference between the original 2018 Model 3 and the new 2021 models?

Better quality control etc. Have features been improved?

frunk is smaller so you need a new liner. front top glass is smaller so the old sun screen doesn't fit. they removed the plastic liner on the dead pedal and now it's just carpet. removed the console floating tray (so keep yours if you trade in). they removed the rear door pocket bottom liners. the driver's seat itself feels more upright than the previous models. passenger's side lumbar support has been removed. 82kwh battery pack, but you can still only access 78kwh. usb c instead of usb a in the rear of the console. then what the others said about the heat pump, double pane glass on the front doors, powered trunk lid, etc.

Chrome trim is good in Arizona. Black door handle is too hot + I think chrome looks better. Opinion differently is life.
Sorry- I LIKE the chrome - it looks a bit more deluxe - the black reminds me of the el-cheapo GM cars back in the day- just a cost-saving move and frankly doesn't make the car look like the entry-level luxe car that it really is.