Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality differences between black and white interiors (M3 LR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, need help with this, please. I was told last year (by a Tesla guy) that the white interior was of better quality than the black one (nothing is leather on this car, as most here know), but he couldn't elaborate exactly what, so I assume it's just whatever you see white, meaning seats and white trim, I guess (softer material?). I want to know what exactly was the difference, to justify $1K extra. Does anybody know for a fact?

But the main reason to start this thead is that reportedly, the quality of the interiors is exactly the same now, at least for 2021 cars (and maybe 2020s). But if that's the case, why still charge $1K extra for the white one? Or are there any other differences to justify that up-charge? If there's no difference whatsoever other than just the color, I'd definitely consider the all black interior on a 2021 M3 LR, not only to save money, but to have more options (I don't want to order blindly; want an inventory car).

Finally, the only reason to consider white was that it was of better materials, AND that it doens't stain like leather, so supposedly 'guilt free'. But is that the case? If it's still a PITA to keep clean, and there's no difference in quality, we'd probably just choose black. My wife wants the gray color, by the way. I'd be nice to hear from white interior owners how easy it's to keep clean. Thank you guys.

Last edited:
My .02. White interior is more durable than real leather/pleather and any stains clean up remarkable easy. Plus the color contrast is gorgeous and breaks up the all black interior. It's no question for me: always white. Every Tesla in my family has the white interior - zero regrets.

Reactions: SeaM3White2021
There is a thread stickied about taking care of the white seats. I have not read it because I dont have white seats:

MASTER THREAD: Removing marks from white seats

As for "why would they charge more?" Simply because they decided to charge more for it. The white exterior paint used to be a $2500 add on option, with black paint being free. Tesla did not change a single thing about either one of those paint choices, but swapped to having the white paint being free while black costs money.

Likely because black shows paint imperfections more than white, but thousands and thousands of people paid 2500 for white exterior paint that is now free, with no change in materials. So I guess the answer to that question is "because tesla wants to charge more for it".

They have been saying "its better" since they released it (the white interior), so "what is actually better" is a good question, because I couldnt find anything, and was not about to get a white interior I had to worry about jeans dye transfer and stuff on.

There is a lot of discussion here about the white seats though. When I search for "white interior" in this section, here are some threads that can get you started on reading about them, not counting the master thread I linked above

How is your white interior doing?
White Interior Materials
White interior - Should i get it? How well has your interior held up?
Which seat protectors for white interior with car seats?
White Interior
Premium White Interior, regrets?

Thats the first page of search results. There are 10 pages of search results, but this should be some reading to get you started.