Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality Issues on Model S built in March 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than rear lid not always closing I have had no mechanic issues. Don't talk to me about paint issues. I detailed the MSP for the 1st time and found 6 paint issues. One bad repair on front bumper, four garage spots under paint and one scratch on back bumper. Also car was not cleaned before delivery and many plastics were not removed in the interior.

M

Makes me glad for several things. My car was delivered in great condition, and also, that I'm not one to go picking over it looking for tiny scratches or marks or spots on windshield or paint, nor for easily aligned hood levels, just so I can feel bad. No issues, beautiful car, great experience, a pleasure to drive, and a joy to behold. Love this car. Most Model Ses are in this category, and most owners are happy. I surely hope you get your issues resolved, but be forewarned: As soon as you get your perfect car, bugs, sand, tar and various other types of crap will hit the paint, the windshield, the license, everything, and dirt will stick to the rear end like a magnet. You will soon have to clean it, for which I recommend Using No Soap so the wax keeps protecting, without all the work but, in the end, it will be a used car. Do the best you can and be proud of this beautiful car. And maybe learn to do a little buffing and polishing when you find a scratch, and buy some genuine Tesla paint to fill the really bad dings.

Reactions: Akikiki
@roblab, very well said. I too don't like looking for flaws to make myself feel bad. I do try to make it better when I see something. But what bites my onion, what makes my okole pucker is when my "friends" after riding in my car are so quick to point out something they see and feel the need to comment. Its never anything good they see and they don't simply point, they rub, eyeball it and tell me how it likely happened and what I need to do.

Uh huh, and when did you last wash yours, bubba? :)

I wonder if people who willingly look the other way when it comes to Tesla, would do the same thing if it's anything else. Say, when buying an expensive watch. What if it has a couple scratches, would they say "It's soon to be a used watch anyway, I'm not gonna search for imperfection so I'll be unhappy". Lol. How about furniture, or a purse for your wife? Tesla can't keep getting free passes. How's a company gonna get better if customers willingly bury their heads in the sand?

Surprising number of issues on my pick-up today of May 2020 manufactured Model S Performance
  • It doesn't lock. At all. Neither key fob works and app cannot lock it. Sitting in car pressing lock doesn't lock it either. WTF?
  • Key fobs don't seem to work at all. Lock/Unlock doesn't work, Frunk/Trunk doesn't work, car drives but says key not present. Very odd.
  • Received calibration error on FSD. Basically appears that calibration failed.
Anyone ever seen this lock / key issue? It almost seems like the keys aren't mine or aren't paired. I'm kicking myself for not testing them before I took the car, but... the keys were there... it was unlocked... it drove away... ugh.

Surprising number of issues on my pick-up today of May 2020 manufactured Model S Performance
  • It doesn't lock. At all. Neither key fob works and app cannot lock it. Sitting in car pressing lock doesn't lock it either. WTF?
  • Key fobs don't seem to work at all. Lock/Unlock doesn't work, Frunk/Trunk doesn't work, car drives but says key not present. Very odd.
  • Received calibration error on FSD. Basically appears that calibration failed.
Anyone ever seen this lock / key issue? It almost seems like the keys aren't mine or aren't paired. I'm kicking myself for not testing them before I took the car, but... the keys were there... it was unlocked... it drove away... ugh.

This can be remotely fixed. Sounds like a setting that Tesla can remotely change about the key pairing. I've read this recently when someone's MCU was changed (the central touchscreen computer).

Contact Roadside would be my first suggestion.

Reactions: Akikiki
At the price point Tesla is at, the paint should be better.
That being said, I suspect the average buyer will never notice some (most?) of these paint issues.
I don't consider myself average but we have 2 Teslas with zero paint issues.
I find alignment issues only if I am looking for them.
So, is it really worth trying to please the obsessed 5% in the grand scheme of things? Not sure. Sort of like having track mode for the 5% of people who would ever care.
The Germans have been getting panache for such things and it helps with prestige. And helps justify higher prices. Is that still the future of automotive marketing? Not sure.
I personally think people universally would like a quieter cabin (I have no complaints about ours but wouldn't mind more quiet.)
People universally want a smooth ride -- hence Raven.
Universally people want safety - Tesla does fine.
Software/interface - this is a big issue. Much bigger than paint issues. It is better over time but should be perfect.
The drivetrain beats every other car so no work needed there.

Other things - are they worth the expense?

For a vehicle and data-driven company, you would think they would use the # of issues they encounter to drive improvements including enhancing operational efficiency, reduce OpEx on repairs, or evaluate how they handle quality control.

The Model 3 we got was perfect but the Model S we went to pick up was not due to hatch issues, not closing, and the deep gash in the side mirror. At work, if we consistently had these types of issues the leadership would be getting hammered on performance metrics. There were a few other folks there to get Model Ys and did not take delivery.

The SC was doing their best to address issues but suggesting to new buyers they have to get their new vehicle to a body shop on day 1 is problematic plus to not take delivery means you end up waiting several more weeks to get a replacement. Not to mention you have to push to get a refund for your application fee/down-payments, re-apply / reserve a new vehicle, and then wait to see if the next one will be good to go functionally.

All of it makes for a lot of head-scratching. Especially since they're innovating in a lot of technically challenging areas. Still amazing vehicles but they need to tackle the logistical side of it and QC. It shouldn't feel like a lottery on whether you're going to win on the delivery day with no major issues or lose with major problems & ensuing headache.