Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A sad video posted by a well respected YouTuber. The guy has 2 million subscribers and unfortunately for Tesla, he has some significant quality issues with his new Tesla.

I think his issues are entirely non-issues. First, no paint job is going to be 100% perfection. Second, comparing
the M3’s panel spacing to another manufacturer’s panel spacing is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Panel gaps will be different between different manufacturers. Lastly, all of his supposed issues can be resolved at the service center. I mean, c’mon, man! Really? A micrometer to try and gin up some supposed problem when you are comparing different tolerance levels by different manufacturers?!? Ridiculous!!!

Panel gaps will be different between different manufacturers.

Yes but not between side to side or front/center/rear gap on the doors on the same car.

Elon wanted to save time on the body steel press machine setup and they didn't let the supplier to test the assembly line at the supplier's site (which would have added 6 months) but asked them to set up the line straight at Tesla's factory and do the test runs there. Due to the time pressure they were never able to make the assembly line completely fixed (it would have taken 6 months inhouse, so imagine how much it takes at the customer's site), so Elon's gambling on this didn't work out and this is why the body panels are all misaligned.

Lastly, all of his supposed issues can be resolved at the service center.

Due to the situation above, the service center has a hard time fixing these.

With Model 3, Tesla Is Taking An Unusual Production Risk

Last edited:
Yes but not between side to side or front/center/rear gap on the doors on the same car.

Elon wanted to save time on the body steel press machine setup and they didn't let the supplier to test the assembly line at the supplier's site (which would have added 6 months) but asked them to set up the line straight at Tesla's factory and do the test runs there. Due to the time pressure they were never able to make the assembly line completely fixed (it would have taken 6 months inhouse, so imagine how much it takes at the customer's site), so Elon's gambling on this didn't work out and this is why the body panels are all misaligned.

Due to the situation above, the service center has a hard time fixing these.

With Model 3, Tesla Is Taking An Unusual Production Risk

You make good points.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I think his issues are entirely non-issues. First, no paint job is going to be 100% perfection. Second, comparing the M3’s panel spacing to another manufacturer’s panel spacing is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Panel gaps will be different between different manufacturers. Lastly, all of his supposed issues can be resolved at the service center. I mean, c’mon, man! Really? A micrometer to try and gin up some supposed problem when you are comparing different tolerance levels by different manufacturers?!? Ridiculous!!!

No paint job is perfect, but most cars have pretty damn good paint jobs. In my past 20 cars, I have never had a paint issue with a new car and this ranges from Honda to Ferrari. I love my Model X, but the paint is subpar. On my car, there are places where the silver metallic looks different. These spots range from the size of a quarter to the size of a hand. My detailer said it's under the clear coat and that it was caused by someone brushing the paint (probably getting dust off) which then caused the metallic particles to line up differently. Tesla has offered to re-paint these panels, but, as most people know, this can potentially make things worse.

Bottom line, these scratches and dust particles are not a non-issue. I do not think that Tesla will go beyond a niche company if it doesn't clamp down on quality control. However, I still think that they build an amazing product and I give them props for doing as well as they have. Getting that last 10% of quality is hard.

Picky, picky, picky. When a Tesla is shipped it often gets scratched, and the car is fixed by Tesla. The problem is that people want their cars NOW, and the Service Center will fix it later. What's the kick? Sure, OK. You can wait to get your car. Or you can get it now and bring it in later for re-paint, or take it down to your local body shop later. It's not a problem. It's covered.

No paint job is perfect, but most cars have pretty damn good paint jobs. In my past 20 cars, I have never had a paint issue with a new car and this ranges from Honda to Ferrari. I love my Model X, but the paint is subpar. On my car, there are places where the silver metallic looks different. These spots range from the size of a quarter to the size of a hand. My detailer said it's under the clear coat and that it was caused by someone brushing the paint (probably getting dust off) which then caused the metallic particles to line up differently. Tesla has offered to re-paint these panels, but, as most people know, this can potentially make things worse.

Bottom line, these scratches and dust particles are not a non-issue. I do not think that Tesla will go beyond a niche company if it doesn't clamp down on quality control. However, I still think that they build an amazing product and I give them props for doing as well as they have. Getting that last 10% of quality is hard.
I appreciate your balid points. Another perspective would include the fact that painting error can be repaired. Both of my M3s are getting resprayed on Tesla’s dime. My service experience has been beyond exceptional.

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry
Picky, picky, picky. When a Tesla is shipped it often gets scratched, and the car is fixed by Tesla. The problem is that people want their cars NOW, and the Service Center will fix it later. What's the kick? Sure, OK. You can wait to get your car. Or you can get it now and bring it in later for re-paint, or take it down to your local body shop later. It's not a problem. It's covered.

I agree this is accurate. Speaking about one car company where I know the procedure (it's been publicized), BMW repairs a ton of damage from shipping at their US ports before any customer sees it. The one thing I don't like is that we all have to become detectives to some respect to find all of the items/outages vs having some confidence in the vehicle being 'perfect' at delivery. It sucks seeing something later and wondering if that was there before or not.
For my delivery, they gave me a full day to document issues, so I didn't end up feeling too rushed.

You are right, it is picky. However, when I spend over a 120 K AND get charged 1,500 for "special" color paint, I kind of expect it not to have blotches, scratches, or dust particles.

if you know anything about the painting process, you would know that taking it to a local body shop and getting it re-painted is not a simple process.
You have a valid perspective. Merry Christmas!

I think his issues are entirely non-issues. First, no paint job is going to be 100% perfection. Second, comparing
the M3’s panel spacing to another manufacturer’s panel spacing is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Panel gaps will be different between different manufacturers. Lastly, all of his supposed issues can be resolved at the service center. I mean, c’mon, man! Really? A micrometer to try and gin up some supposed problem when you are comparing different tolerance levels by different manufacturers?!? Ridiculous!!!
I Agree with you.

You are right, it is picky. However, when I spend over a 120 K AND get charged 1,500 for "special" color paint, I kind of expect it not to have blotches, scratches, or dust particles.

if you know anything about the painting process, you would know that taking it to a local body shop and getting it re-painted is not a simple process.

This is about a Model 3 review. Not a Model X owner. Scratches are something they can fix with better delivery practices, and care.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I appreciate your balid points. Another perspective would include the fact that painting error can be repaired. Both of my M3s are getting resprayed on Tesla’s dime. My service experience has been beyond exceptional.
Not trying to be combative, but if you are getting your cars resprayed, why would you say the paint quality is a non-issue?
The thing I worry about Tesla is that there are so many cars coming out with quality issues. Of course, Tesla will try to make things right (I also agree that the service is exceptional), but I don't think that it is sustainable to have so many issues with brand new cars. Have you been to a service center lately? It is jam packed with brand new Model 3's. If you go to any other dealership, their service center is usually filled with normal maintenance issue cars.

I’ve had far more problems than what was in the video and I still consider mine relatively minor. His paint issues are correctable. The roof misalignment is probably the worst of his problems and even that is just cosmetic.

Honestly, if you need calipers to complain about panel gaps, you’re (to paraphrase Apple) driving it wrong.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I love my Tesla but I dont understand why people defend Tesla when they (Tesla) are clearly wrong. I don’t want a repainted car, I want the NEW car I purchased, I didn’t but a CPO car. The paint on Tesla’s is one of the worst I have ever seen. I have a white model 3 and I have to take it in to get he bumpers redone. I’m already worried about the “techs” at the body shop getting overspray everywhere, not properly prepping because they are in a hurry, etc. So many things can go wrong. The only way to properly repaint a car like factory is to completely disassemble the area being painted, not taping off trim, only custom paint jobs at professional shops do this, doubt tesla will use one.

I do understand the some people just don’t understand this, don’t notice the issues, and don’t mind they paid so much for sub par deliveries.

This is why I placed a deposit on a R1S for my wife’s next car instead of a Tesla. Still love my model 3 and going to keep it for a long time since I expected these issues before I purchased it, didn’t realize how bad dealing with tesla and service would be though.

Please excuse any typos on my mobile.