Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think his issues are entirely non-issues. First, no paint job is going to be 100% perfection. Second, comparing
the M3’s panel spacing to another manufacturer’s panel spacing is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Panel gaps will be different between different manufacturers. Lastly, all of his supposed issues can be resolved at the service center. I mean, c’mon, man! Really? A micrometer to try and gin up some supposed problem when you are comparing different tolerance levels by different manufacturers?!? Ridiculous!!!

I do not really care about the scratches as long as the paint still protects the car from rust but the scratches that are deep enough to go through the clearcoat and touch the paint itself may compromise protection. And while we are on the subject I still have the scratch on the bumper where the paint is completely gone in the area about 1 sq. cm and over which I have been kept during the delivery for over 4 hours as they were trying to remediatie it and in the end failing anyway and promising that I will be contacted to schedule the fix. 6 weeks later I still haven't heard about that despite several reminders and though they were eager to send Ranger to me to sell the additional key cards... I do not really much about that scratch as it is on plastic part and will not cause any rust so at this point I'm just curious to see if they ever do anything about that.

As to the panel alignment I guess you haven't really paid attention what the guy was doing - he was checking consistency of alignment and although his measurement technique was not very solid the model 3 quite obviously came up second on that front. The discrepancy may be not as big as he measured though but at 2 mm it is safe to say that it is there. Whether that matters or not is a different issue.

I do not really care about the scratches as long as the paint still protects the car from rust but the scratches that are deep enough to go through the clearcoat and touch the paint itself may compromise protection. And while we are on the subject I still have the scratch on the bumper where the paint is completely gone in the area about 1 sq. cm and over which I have been kept during the delivery for over 4 hours as they were trying to remediatie it and in the end failing anyway and promising that I will be contacted to schedule the fix. 6 weeks later I still haven't heard about that despite several reminders and though they were eager to send Ranger to me to sell the additional key cards... I do not really much about that scratch as it is on plastic part and will not cause any rust so at this point I'm just curious to see if they ever do anything about that.

As to the panel alignment I guess you haven't really paid attention what the guy was doing - he was checking consistency of alignment and although his measurement technique was not very solid the model 3 quite obviously came up second on that front. The discrepancy may be not as big as he measured though but at 2 mm it is safe to say that it is there. Whether that matters or not is a different issue.
All good points!

Not trying to be combative, but if you are getting your cars resprayed, why would you say the paint quality is a non-issue?
The thing I worry about Tesla is that there are so many cars coming out with quality issues. Of course, Tesla will try to make things right (I also agree that the service is exceptional), but I don't think that it is sustainable to have so many issues with brand new cars. Have you been to a service center lately? It is jam packed with brand new Model 3's. If you go to any other dealership, their service center is usually filled with normal maintenance issue cars.
It is a non-issue because it is being resolved. People are upset about the paint, and that is understandable, but once fixed why continue being upset? Life is too short. And my service center is busy, yes, but I am glad for that. My overall opinion is that Tesla has put this ball in motion, and that other manufacturers had best step up.

Competition in the marketplace is a good thing. If I was unhappy I’d sell my cars instead of complaining anout them, lol, and buy something else.

It is a non-issue because it is being resolved. People are upset about the paint, and that is understandable, but once fixed why continue being upset? Life is too short. And my service center is busy, yes, but I am glad for that. My overall opinion is that Tesla has put this ball in motion, and that other manufacturers had best step up.

Competition in the marketplace is a good thing. If I was unhappy I’d sell my cars instead of complaining anout them, lol, and buy something else.

It is not major issue and it is resolvable issue but it is an issue nonetheless. Even if they come to your place to drop off loaner and pick up your car and the same afterwards it is inconvenience as you need to arrange that. That level of inconvenience would be minor but at some point you'll start to complain and that point is different for different people.

As a matter of fact I'm considering just letting Tesla of the hook with my paint problem by asking them for a touch up paint...

Reactions: Jaywlker
The scratches are a definite problem and the car shouldn't have been delivered in this condition. I'm not sure that this kind of problem is usual or not, but I've taken delivery of 5 Teslas, 2 Model Ss and 3 Model 3s and non of them had paint issues or objectionable gap problems.

The first Model 3 I owned was an early build VIN 22xx and it did have a hood that was not as well centered in the opening as I would like. This car is no longer with me as I totaled it in a 9 car pile up on the freeway. So some cars seemed to escape the factory Quality Control with problems which I guess is understandable as they try to ramp up production, delivery (I've had my own delivery nightmare delivery issue with Tesla) and service. I think most people who want the experience of driving a fun, quick, quiet car, one that is not stuck in the 20th century will put up with some problems.

Reactions: Jaywlker
The scratches are a definite problem and the car shouldn't have been delivered in this condition. I'm not sure that this kind of problem is usual or not, but I've taken delivery of 5 Teslas, 2 Model Ss and 3 Model 3s and non of them had paint issues or objectionable gap problems.

The first Model 3 I owned was an early build VIN 22xx and it did have a hood that was not as well centered in the opening as I would like. This car is no longer with me as I totaled it in a 9 car pile up on the freeway. So some cars seemed to escape the factory Quality Control with problems which I guess is understandable as they try to ramp up production, delivery (I've had my own delivery nightmare delivery issue with Tesla) and service. I think most people who want the experience of driving a fun, quick, quiet car, one that is not stuck in the 20th century will put up with some problems.
I’m so glad that you are ok after a 9 car pile up. Probably a lot more than paint issues there. Hopefuly the safety engineering moved all the force from impact around the passenger cage.

Tesla had a 3rd party body shop try to fix my paint issues on most panels. Only made it worse. Tried twice. Still have dust nibs, scratches, paint runs. They scratched the rims, damaged all of the glass, damaged the front bumper, damaged lots of interior plastic, etc. while trying to fix the issues. It has been a nightmare and taken months and lots of my time documenting issues and holding them accountable to get to the car to the current state, which still isn't acceptable to me. Should have never let them talk me into taking delivery and getting the issues fixed by service. Car drives fine thankfully, but paying full price for a loaded car and being told they will fix issues after delivery only to make them worse sure rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't buy a Tesla again due to build quality and was prepared to order another for my wife before end of year. Love everything else about them though... Pitty they can get all the hard parts right and have trouble with what should be the easy stuff.

Tesla had a 3rd party body shop try to fix my paint issues on most panels. Only made it worse. Tried twice. Still have dust nibs, scratches, paint runs. They scratched the rims, damaged all of the glass, damaged the front bumper, damaged lots of interior plastic, etc. while trying to fix the issues. It has been a nightmare and taken months and lots of my time documenting issues and holding them accountable to get to the car to the current state, which still isn't acceptable to me. Should have never let them talk me into taking delivery and getting the issues fixed by service. Car drives fine thankfully, but paying full price for a loaded car and being told they will fix issues after delivery only to make them worse sure rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't buy a Tesla again due to build quality and was prepared to order another for my wife before end of year. Love everything else about them though... Pitty they can get all the hard parts right and have trouble with what should be the easy stuff.
The experience they’ve provided you is unacceptable. What Service Center is it? Have you tried to get a replacement Tesla? Maybe it’s a lemon under your state’s laws? If I were in your shoes, I’d feel the same. Maybe inform Tesla in writing that you are seeking direct and foreseeable damages by taking it to reputable repair locations, and that you will bill Tesla for the expense?

Panel gaps will be different between different manufacturers. Lastly, all of his supposed issues can be resolved at the service center. I mean, c’mon, man! Really?
The problem is that on my car when I noticed the gigantic differences in panel gaps and miss-alignments at delivery, although they promised they would fix them at service center, they failed. I had my car in three times, each for 2 weeks and they were unable to fix the problems. That's because the entire body was poorly put together. When they tried too fix the panel alignment and got that right, that would make the panel gaps worse and when they tried to fix the gaps that would screw up the alignment. So in the end they told me to live with one or the other being screwed up. I chose to have my trunk aligned properly because it looked ridiculous otherwise so I now have to live with uneven gaps. 10mm on one side and almost touching 2mm on the other. Looks as ghetto as a Trabant from the old Soviet era but I guess this is the best Tesla can do for $75K. Mind you the Trabant's body was made of compressed cardboard.

Last edited:
The problem is that on my car when I noticed the gigantic differences in panel gaps and miss-alignments at delivery, although they promised they would fix them at service center, they failed. I had my car in three times, each for 2 weeks and they were unable to fix the problems. That's because the entire body was poorly put together. When they tried too fix the panel alignment and got that right, that would make the panel gaps worse and when they tried to fix the gaps that would screw up the alignment. So in the end they told me to live with one or the other being screwed up. I chose to have my trunk aligned properly because it looked ridiculous otherwise so I now have to live with uneven gaps. 10mm on one side and almost touching 2mm on the other. Looks ghetto but I guess this is the best Tesla can do for $75K.

Have you considered your state’s lemon laws? Has Tesla offered any concessions? Will Tesla permit you to trade it in? I am very sorry Tesla has put you in this situation.

I had similar problem. While having the car at service center they actually did more damage. They even left black hand prints on my white seats and on the A pillar and B pillar fabric upholstery. Even after extensive cleaning there is still a mark there.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
Have you considered your state’s lemon laws? Has Tesla offered any concessions? Will Tesla permit you to trade it in? I am very sorry Tesla has put you in this situation.
Well I don't know who to go to. The service people give me that look like I am a picky owner. They make me feel bad by telling me to be happy that they fixed the alignment so I should be able to live with the uneven gaps. The other problem is that the body shop is another entity outside the service center so they act like its not their problem because the body shop did all they could and they can't do anything other than take it back there to fix the gaps which will throw the alignment off. Its one of those situations where the party you are dealing with (service center) acts like they are not responsible because they are not the body shop.

• Informative
The problem is that on my car when I noticed the gigantic differences in panel gaps and miss-alignments at delivery, although they promised they would fix them at service center, they failed. I had my car in three times, each for 2 weeks and they were unable to fix the problems. That's because the entire body was poorly put together. When they tried too fix the panel alignment and got that right, that would make the panel gaps worse and when they tried to fix the gaps that would screw up the alignment. So in the end they told me to live with one or the other being screwed up. I chose to have my trunk aligned properly because it looked ridiculous otherwise so I now have to live with uneven gaps. 10mm on one side and almost touching 2mm on the other. Looks as ghetto as a Trabant from the old Soviet era but I guess this is the best Tesla can do for $75K. Mind you the Trabant's body was made of compressed cardboard.
I had alignment issues with my trunk. they fixed the spacing but then the trunk portion of the tailight was about 1/2 cm higher than the rest of the tailight. They told me it's to spec and I would need to accept it. However, the car had been in service over 30 days, so I knew I could lemon it if they were unable to meet the items on the due bill. I simply told them if they can't fix it I would like to initiate a buy back. What do you know, a few days later my trunk was almost perfectly aligned and I got the car back.

Shouldn't have push so hard for them to meet the due bill items, but in the end they did fix it.

I will always suggest rejecting a tesla with serious paint issues, I have learned my lesson.

• Informative
I think that the people who are so quick to get a re-spray really don't understand how a re-spray differs from original OEM paint job. When your car is painted at the factory, it starts out with just the virgin metal. The surface is prepped and primed with different chemicals/methods than can be done by re-sprays. The paint is applied by robots in dust free rooms. The robots apply the paint thinly, fast, and uniform- much better than a human can do. Lastly, since there are no interior trim pieces, the paint is baked on at 400 degrees.
I'm not saying that a re-spray is going to be terrible, but I'm saying that the factory paint is usually the best.
Even though I have paint blotches on my car, I have decided not to do any kind of re-spray. There is no way that they can 100% match the metallic silver and it likely will look worse. Also the durability of the paint job is likely to be worse and having the body shop take off panels, trim, etc for painting is likely going to cause other issues.

Last edited:
  • Informative