Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of loaner cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my car in for an appointment that will likely take a week. They gave me a loaner car that I am rather shocked with.

Car has a wrap on it which is in pretty ratty condition. Scratches , etc.

Low fluid and other random alert that won’t turn off.

Tire pressure is all over the place. 37 psi on one tire vs 41 psi on the other.

Car has sport tires, even though there is snow on the ground and it is expected to snow next week. Car will not be drivable in the snow.

Road noise is really loud.

Loaner is a performance model, and it is quite interesting just to see all the little things that can go wrong with it over time.

I am amused that folks are upset with a car that Tesla doesn't have to provide them. There is that saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Perhaps they would be happier with no loaner.
I also agree, better than nothing.

But Elon once said all loner cars would be low mileage performance edition and if you like it you can trade in your car in the spot.

But Tesla won't do better because they don't care about customers that OWN cars. They only care about customers buying a new one. I like to say Tesla is one of the best technology companies in America but definitely the worst car company in America. If I had a Maserati or Range Rover, I expect it to be in the shop . . . regularly . . . to have something expensive replaced/repaired. But even out of warranty, they will give you a loaner because . . . they recognize that's just being decent (and good business). Tesla repairs are ALWAYS expensive AND time consuming (my window regulator took 3 weeks to get an appointment and another 2 weeks for the repair) . . . a window regulator!! My loaner was dirty, smelled odd, handled like a truck . . . but it was a P85D just like my car. As others have noted, if you get a loaner from Tesla it's some POS sitting around but Tesla will act like it's some kind of grand gesture to get anything beyond Uber credits.

Reactions: t00taloo
But Tesla won't do better because they don't care about customers that OWN cars. They only care about customers buying a new one. I like to say Tesla is one of the best technology companies in America but definitely the worst car company in America. If I had a Maserati or Range Rover, I expect it to be in the shop . . . regularly . . . to have something expensive replaced/repaired. But even out of warranty, they will give you a loaner because . . . they recognize that's just being decent (and good business). Tesla repairs are ALWAYS expensive AND time consuming (my window regulator took 3 weeks to get an appointment and another 2 weeks for the repair) . . . a window regulator!! My loaner was dirty, smelled odd, handled like a truck . . . but it was a P85D just like my car. As others have noted, if you get a loaner from Tesla it's some POS sitting around but Tesla will act like it's some kind of grand gesture to get anything beyond Uber credits.
one of my loaners had mold in the trunk, the other had a broken rim that took a week to fix, last, one that broke down couple hours after and the last one had zero traction and was unstable on the freeway.