Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of Model X deliveries - March 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in my MS for a MX last week and am wondering if other recent deliveries are having similar issues. I ordered mine a few days before Christmas and just took delivery last Friday.

The first problem was apparent as soon as I got it home and plugged it into my 80 amp HPWC, it would only charge at 47 amps, no higher, even though I ordered the upgrade which allows up to 72 amp charging. It also displayed a message on the dash about not being able to charge, even though it was charging, just not full speed. This turned out to be a bad charger in the car so they're replacing it now.

The second problem is a squeaking noise from the driver-side FW door when it fully opens. I noticed and asked about it during delivery and was told that noise sometimes goes away. Mine didn't, it got louder the more I used the door. It's being looked at while it's in the shop.

The third problem is wind noise in the cabin at high speeds, I was asked by passengers in the back if I had a window cracked, apparently that's what it sounded like. It's being looked at while it's in the shop.

The fourth problem is the FW doors rubbing paint off certain pressure spots, small circles where the plastic from the door rubs against the painted metal when the doors are closing, like this:
upload_2017-3-23_18-39-49.png

The fifth problem they actually brought to my attention when I picked it up, a small spot in the paint where they said it looks like the clear coat has bubbles in it. To fix they may have to "re-spray" so after the other problems are fixed it's going to the body shop for a week :/

I love the vehicle but am a little surprised by the issues, I don't even have 300 miles on it yet and only had it four days before it was taken to the shop :confused: I guess I expected no problems at all after hearing about all the successful deliveries on here. Has anyone else received theirs lately and had any of the same issues?

On the plus side, since 8.1 is due "any day now" there's a possibility it will still be in the shop when it's released, if so you can bet your ass I'm asking them to update the firmware before they bring it back :D

• Informative
Reactions: xborg and cwerdna
I actually meant to post this in Model X March 2017 Deliveries, sorry :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is but, in my opinion, it be great if it was re-posted in that thread to poll other recent owner experiences. My delivery window is mid April and I was blindly hoping that a lot of the kinks, particularly with regards to the FWD and cabin noise, would have been worked out by now.

Thanks for the update on your model X! :)

I picked up my X in San Francisco two days ago, and I can't say that I had any of the same issues as you, but I did have a bunch. I had a lot of anxiety before picking up, had my delivery checklists like a good boy scout, but just thought "this is the most expensive thing I've ever bought -- lots of pressure to inspect everything."

- They called proactively the day before and said there was a deep scratch in the front bumper and it would need to be repaired either before pickup or after, but would be noted. I asked that it be written on the dues sheet that it would be a bumper replacement rather than repaint. They agreed. The rest we discovered:
- Scratch on the right FWD window. They will replace the window.
- Scratch on the back bumper.
- Left FWD had weird paint anomalies, which we determined to be overspray, potentially from a nearby car. They took it back to the service center on the spot and... buffed? or something to take the clear coat off and redo... or something. I'm not a car person.
- Clicking noise on the middle row, drivers side seat when moving.
- Scratching on rear driver's side quarter panel. Complimentary detailing offered.
- Chrome trim above right FWD a bit -- crooked. Such that it was pushed up against the car, leaving more space on the other side.

The delivery folks and service center manager were apologetic. All were documented on the dues sheet as future complimentary service. I needed to pick up the car though. My husband wasn't pleased, though.

I was hopeful that quality issues were solved, but it was a little disappointing. That said, everything else is still incredible. Our cameras finished calibrating today so we had our first autopilot drive, and parallel autopark. Enjoying it.

Reactions: DriverOne
Picked up my MS 90D March 23rd, so post production shut down. This is a 5 seater version. Some minor items:

- They left some of the green tape in the interior (no big issue)
- Slight overspray under the clear coat, but after some compounding, you can't feel it and frankly can't see it unless you have a full spectrum light
- There was an issue with the rear differential that the SC fixed and I drove a P90D Signature (VIN 580) for a few hours while they took care of it. I noticed that my MX was significantly better quality, tighter fit and finish. Just little things like the air vents are now damped, the doors and winders close faster, the heated seats are more powerful. etc. So it was a good experience to see how many tweaks Tesla have made in a year and 30,000 cars later ;-)

Picked up the car on the 22nd in Costa Mesa. Had an awesome experience and there are no issues with the car except for the driver's side FWD SLIGHT creak the last stretch of its opening. It is such a minor creak I don't mind at all although I can probably go have it repaired. The passenger side FWD is totally silent.

X100D 5-Seater picked up yesterday. The X Checklist was a huge benefit. Make time & use it.
If you want to see photos of my 5-Seater cargo area, go to the 5-Seater thread.
Don't have time for a full report, but suffice to say I agree w/ the Delivery person's pre-inspection -- my X is one of the best X's they have seen. I noted 2 issues on the delivery -- they ran out of rear licence plate holders, and a plastic scuff near (but not on) the driver's side seat back -- towards the floor on the cover that hides the front seat folding point. Ask if you want further details or a photo.
I did find 5 paint irregularities -- by use of a very high powered light.
In summary I think the paint issues are Tesla normal. You know, I was not disappointed, just alert & decided these issues were completely par for the course.
I had never inspected a car to the n'th degree like I did this one.... and overall I'm still all warm and fuzzy about the purchase. Next up, Xpel.

Took delivery of a pearly white X75D on Friday 3/24/2017 at Fremont. Skipped the tour, didn't have a lot of time. Also didn't have time to report the small scratch on the driver side door.

The car's been pretty good since then. In-cabin road noise sounds a lot like our Prius V, so not too quiet. Still have to play radio a little louder on loud roads, kids can't always hear us and vice versa. That's probably the most disappointing thing for such an expensive car. The windshield, though I would never buy a car for just that, is amazing.

The car for the most part does actually drive like the Prius V, in terms of regenerative braking. The main difference is that we have creep off on the X, but the V does still creep. And lifting your foot off the gas in the V still coasts, where the X will just stop.

Frustrating things are that once this weekend the FWD detected obstructions in our garage and force a manual override to open them. We have child locks on, so you HAVE to use the console panel to start opening them at that point. Up until that point they always automatically opened up part way.

A door seal on the FWD front bottom (when closed) corner has already peeled away from the adhesive sticker.

Oh, this might be a real issue... a couple times I've had the car in drive, had the brake assist on ((H)) and then pressing the gas again makes the car go BACKWARDS. Bad car, big potential to hit the rear end on the car behind. You have to toggle the gear shift away from drive and back to get it to go forwards again. Gotta get that looked at.

Posted this over in the March deliveries thread.