Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of NEMA 14-30 receptacles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a lot of discussion about industrial quality NEMA receptacles for those who are charging at 50 amps, but I'm only going to have a 30 amp circuit and haven't found much info on distinctions for NEMA 14-30 receptacles. I have found a Leviton brand one at Home Depot that is described as "Industrial," and it seemed fairly beefy when I examined it at the store. Here is a link to it: Leviton 30 Amp Industrial Flush Mount Shallow Single Outlet, Black R10-00278-S00

Does this seem adequate, or does someone have a suggestion for something that is demonstrably better?

I know there is a lot of discussion about industrial quality NEMA receptacles for those who are charging at 50 amps, but I'm only going to have a 30 amp circuit and haven't found much info on distinctions for NEMA 14-30 receptacles. I have found a Leviton brand one at Home Depot that is described as "Industrial," and it seemed fairly beefy when I examined it at the store. Here is a link to it: Leviton 30 Amp Industrial Flush Mount Shallow Single Outlet, Black R10-00278-S00

Does this seem adequate, or does someone have a suggestion for something that is demonstrably better?
Leviton manufactures components at different price points. Here is an industrial grade Leviton 14-30R.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/74366386

The difference between a $10 receptacle and one cost 3X as much may not be visible, especially from the front. Look at the way the wires are secured to the receptacle and you will see what the additional money buys you. That said, if you don't constantly plug and unplug the 14-30 plug from the receptacle the less expensive option may be fine. The maximum amperage when charging an EV is 24A, not 40A as with the 14-50R.

You can also look for Hubbell/Bryant (these brands are now owned by the same company) and Cooper 14-30R.

jcanoe-
Thanks. I did look for other manufacturers offering industrial grade NEMA 14-30, but didn't find much. And, interestingly, I checked the Leviton part number that was on the package at Home Depot, and it's the same as the one in your link (278-S00). The photo of it in the link I originally included looks slightly different from the one in yours, but the actual receptacle that Home Depot sells (for under $10) with this part number looks identical to the picture in yours. So this has been helpful, as it tells me that it's not just Home Depot calling it "industrial"; it's an electrical supply house that is, also, and they're just charging three times as much for the same item. :) I think I feel comfortable now using this one in my install.