Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality of new MY's - is it better now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new door skin might not match the rest of your car, and I'm sure you've seen the other posts showing the mismatched white doors to fenders and bumpers. Glad to see Tesla is addressing your other issues.

Not much concerned about that. it will be unlikely that the paint is going to be completely off. No matter what you do, when the parts are separated, they will not be at exact angle and alignment and the reflection color tone would be different. If they use same code paint it is gonna be ok. I was concerned if they paint the area. In that case, on the same surface could have two different paint tones (fresh vs old) and that could be bad.

With the photos in similar threads, most of them were acceptable for me with that explanation. I could see couple of photos being completely off but I don't know the history of the car (what if its an aftermarket paint, etc) and I don't believe its a product that will be released.

I received my car in a rushed delivery and had around 10-11 issues. But half of those issues were addressed in first service center appointment and they ordered the parts for the other half for another appointment when the parts arrive. There is indeed a small dent in the door maybe around 1mm scratch on paint. I was thinking they either paint the door or offer a rebate etc. But they have ordered a new door to change the whole door panel.
List of issues I had:
  1. Dirty seat belt pillar (fixed)
  2. Dirty Sun Visor (fixed)
  3. Rattling Trunk (Fixed)
  4. Rattling Seatbelt mechanism (Fixed)
  5. A bubble in the mirror (Replaced)
  6. Dent on the door (New door ordered)
  7. Scratch on the carbon window trim (Part ordered)
  8. Condensation on rear light (Light ordered)
  9. Coat hanger does not seat back in place (part ordered)
  10. Broken leather trim on the driver side door (part ordered)
  11. Stiff Ride (its the car design)
It was a headache, but I had a good experience because they were transparent and they did not push back. Accepted all issues and added couple of issues after 24 hours window that they initially offered.

Specs and VIN would be helpful.

It should be on my signature but VIN is 150 and it’s a white model y with Gemini wheels. I’m quite happy so far. It might have been a cancelled order but I picked up in Fremont I. Front of factory and odometer was 15 so it had not been driven yet.

Reactions: imola.zhp
I have seen a couple on FB people said were built this month (July) that still aren’t good. Tesla must be having an issue with a specific shift or line since they’re not all like this. If they had a QC procedure in place these few would not make it out of the factory. But again people keep accepting them.

Reactions: jimmym1981
I have seen a couple on FB people said were built this month (July) that still aren’t good. Tesla must be having an issue with a specific shift or line since they’re not all like this. If they had a QC procedure in place these few would not make it out of the factory. But again people keep accepting them.
It can be a selling point. It may cost less if they address small issues in Service Center rather than slowing the sales and production line in factory. There is a margin threshold on how much they bounce back and forth which can be set on supply/demand. So I don't think it is a sleepy worker on a nightshift or things like that being always talked about. It's about how fast they can make the product ready in a sellable condition to meet such a high demand.

Reactions: navguy12
I took a look at all the Model Ys in the Portland OR delivery center (around 20 of them) and compared it to the MY PUP (Red) that I was pre-inspecting. There were definitely some cars that had panel gap issues, but it seems like overall there was not much of a difference between them all. I decided to move forward with delivery, as there is no guarantee that things will get better or that the next batch is going to be different. I also expect CA to shut down again, and with the coming flu season there may not be any new cars produced for a long time (winter is going to be devastating).

Actually with all of us wearing masks and cleaning hands - I think flue virus will be very upset :) I do not expect
Model Y (VIN 015424, July 2020): Pearl White Multi-Coat, Long Range All-Wheel Drive, All Black Premium Interior, Autopilot, 19’’ Gemini Wheels

Can you please post the picture from the hatch (when it is closed) please? I am curious about the alignment of the rails. Mine was like this: (VIN133xx)

IMG_20200702_120247.jpg
IMG_20200702_120257.jpg
IMG_20200702_072652.jpg

Last edited:
Actually with all of us wearing masks and cleaning hands - I think flue virus will be very upset :) I do not expect

Can you please post the picture from the hatch (when it is closed) please? I am curious about the alignment of the rails. Mine was like this: (VIN133xx)

View attachment 566298 View attachment 566299 View attachment 566300

Those are pretty crappy alignment for a >60k car. Looks like a third grader worked on it. You should have rejected it outright. Shame on their QC!!! Do they even have one?

Reactions: InternetDude
Just took delivery of a red MY, white interior, induction 20” wheels, and I spend a good 40 minutes examining it carefully, based on this and other threads of disappointing fit and finish. Mine was built 6/2020 (ordered 6/30. Delivered 7/19) and maybe I’m just lucky but there was one essentially minor flaw. The paint, panel gaps, white seat and dash, charge port cover alignment, trim was perfect. There was a bit too much gap between the two segments of each of the taillights, which will can be aligned on a mobile service appointment, I was told.

Feel so badly for those with poor QC and fit/finish issues. Definitely was on the lookout and was happy today. Maybe the later builds are improving....definitely needs attention at HQ..

Just took delivery of a red MY, white interior, induction 20” wheels, and I spend a good 40 minutes examining it carefully, based on this and other threads of disappointing fit and finish. Mine was built 6/2020 (ordered 6/30. Delivered 7/19) and maybe I’m just lucky but there was one essentially minor flaw. The paint, panel gaps, white seat and dash, charge port cover alignment, trim was perfect. There was a bit too much gap between the two segments of each of the taillights, which will can be aligned on a mobile service appointment, I was told.

Feel so badly for those with poor QC and fit/finish issues. Definitely was on the lookout and was happy today. Maybe the later builds are improving....definitely needs attention at HQ..

Most of the issues I saw are with white color. It may be a separate production line, that has many faults. Blue, Red - mostly fine (from the outside look). Maybe this is a way Tesla push you to pay more for other colors? Seems crazy, but who knows.

RichAZ/CapeCod: do you see problems with non white MY's as well?

[QUOTE="Shap, ........

RichAZ/CapeCod: do you see problems with non white MY's as well?[/QUOTE]

I've only examined one MY up close, a white on white model. Looked OK to me. Some minor issues and the seat backs were not right, but otherwise I'd accept a Tesla like that one in a heartbeat. All I can go in regard my concerns on are the consistent QC reports I'm seeing in this forum (and YouTube videos).

Rich

The only "serious" issue with my friend's MY. It will be made right I'm sure. Just kind of silly for the factory not being able to get this annoying problem fixed quickly.
cX1xkrv.jpg

I can’t figure out why a company worth so much, can’t get rid of these issue. It is inexcusable for such an expensive car. Everyone needs to start rejecting them if there is an issue and send home the point to Elon. This is crazy.
Cut them some slack, they are basically a brand new automaker compared to the rest of the industry. Just buy it & drive it.

Took delivery of my stealth Y this weekend. A few minor issues but nbd overall:
  • (easy to fix) Goo and white left over from a sloppy sticker peel job
  • (appt. scheduled) 2-3 small (a few mm) paint scrapes around the car
  • (appt scheduled) 1 paint cut in black trim on drivers side
VIN 223xx - made 6/20.

Weirdly, I did notice the touchscreen is much less sensitive than my old M3.