Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality PPf install or need to redo this work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like others opinion as to the quality of this XPEL PPF install. Apologies about the dirt, but the ceramic coating is still curing.

The bumper is very difficult do do I understand, but I am a bit unhappy about the relief cuts, and the ripples. Some of the PPF is overlapping itself near the splitter, or poorly adhered at the edges. There is a ripple in the front bumper PPF as well, near the headlight. Would it be worth it to redo this work on my follow up appointment?

The hood looks pretty bad around the emblem, though I asked them to remove the emblem. It looks like crap with the emblem partially under the PPF. The areas where they wrapped the PPF around the panels is starting to come free as well, but probably can be trimmed without issue. The installer has agreed to redo this already, but wondering how hard to push over the bumper.

I already had the rear glass replaced due to this same shop damaging the defroster during tinting. They did pay that though, so I feel like they will take care of my issues, but want to make sure its worth

Attachments

• 20181009_144209.jpg
    20181009_144209.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 20181009_144115.jpg
    20181009_144115.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 886
  • 20181009_144139.jpg
    20181009_144139.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 818
  • 20181009_144038.jpg
    20181009_144038.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 797
  • 20181009_144023.jpg
    20181009_144023.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 860
I'd like others opinion as to the quality of this XPEL PPF install. Apologies about the dirt, but the ceramic coating is still curing.

The bumper is very difficult do do I understand, but I am a bit unhappy about the relief cuts, and the ripples. Some of the PPF is overlapping itself near the splitter, or poorly adhered at the edges. There is a ripple in the front bumper PPF as well, near the headlight. Would it be worth it to redo this work on my follow up appointment?

The hood looks pretty bad around the emblem, though I asked them to remove the emblem. It looks like crap with the emblem partially under the PPF. The areas where they wrapped the PPF around the panels is starting to come free as well, but probably can be trimmed without issue. The installer has agreed to redo this already, but wondering how hard to push over the bumper.

I already had the rear glass replaced due to this same shop damaging the defroster during tinting. They did pay that though, so I feel like they will take care of my issues, but want to make sure its worth

I'm not sure how much you paid, so it's hard to say if the work you got reflects the cost. Most of the issues you pointed out seem to be caused by inexperience for the most part. They may redo it for you, but if they just don't have the experience to do it better, it may come out more or less the same. They should be able to touch it up for you at the very least like trim the lifted edges that have dirt trapped underneath them, pop that big air bubble on the bumper, and trim the overlapped areas.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
That does not look at all acceptable. I have a full PPF Stealth wrap on my Model 3. Paid one of the lower rates in the area and have no issues like those in your photos. If I had gotten my car back looking like that, I would've demanded a fix or refund. As mentioned above, if they don't know what they're doing then an acceptable fix is probably not going to happen.

Reactions: Cowby and byeLT4
I paid just under 3k for full front PPF, 7 window tint with XPEL ceramic, and ceramic coating.

Should of gone to Soquel. Not to rub it in, but if anyone else is in the area Transparent Glass Coatings did a much better job for about 1K less (though their price may have increased since May).

The edges not adhering, the overlap and badge are all unacceptable.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and byeLT4
Watching this thread since I went to the same shop as Vines...although I paid twice as much. Difference being I had 2 extra windows tinted, chrome delete, and full body PPF.

They also forgot to remove my emblems as well (although they offered to redo it during a follow-up appointment.)

What's troubling is I noticed some of the same issues in the same places that Vines is seeing, including similar lack of coverage and peeling.

The price you got reflect the quality of the job you received, group buy or not. That's not a good job. And yikes, the same shop that damaged your defroster? I guess at this point you are just gambling with this detail shop, trying to save money. Result is you're spending a lot of time at this shop, and the job they're doing is so-so at best.

Yes, all my work was done at the same shop in the same trip. Alex did pay to fix my back glass that his tinter damaged, so at this point I am paid up, just want my car to come out looking clean.

Its true, you get what you pay for, and that's exactly the reason for this thread.

Reactions: Cowby
I would definitely have it redone until you're happy with it. I went to the same shop and didn't have as many issues, but I will be taking it back to get the hood redone because something was trapped underneath the film. After hearing others had problems with them "forgetting" to take the emblems off, I did it myself before I brought it in.