Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Quality Problem" threads for X seem increasingly rare - no more door issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I check in this sub-forum every few months to have a look around at the general tide of thread titles - one thing that I've noticed is that there is very little discussion of Model X quality issues these days. Is it out of the woods? No news is good news...

It appears so. I was at a service center a few weeks ago and was told the quality has much improved. I plan on buy another when Oregon's tax credit kicks in at the end of the summer.

There was a wealth of information on this forum about Model X quality issues that I never felt the need to post. For the record, my Model X was delivered late May and had a host of issues on delivery including very noticeable alignment issues on the passenger-side FWD, creaking on the driver-side FWD, a dent in the tailgate, rattles in the driver-side door, deformation of the metal mesh on the top of the dashboard, and mis-alignment of the tailgate that was discovered when it went in for the other items. Since that service, the driver-side FWD is creaking again, the passenger-side FWD has started scraping the door frame because it's been shifted too far towards the rear, and the passenger-side door trim adhesive has failed.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My experience:
I picked mine 75D last month. My car is ordered online so it’s fresh from factory.
Two days after I picked it up, i couldn’t close the window on the falcon wing door. It magically worked the second day so I didn’t go to service center.
Two days ago my driver side door doesn’t pop up(it opens) however it works again after a few hours…

My experience:
I picked mine 75D last month. My car is ordered online so it’s fresh from factory.
Two days after I picked it up, i couldn’t close the window on the falcon wing door. It magically worked the second day so I didn’t go to service center.
Two days ago my driver side door doesn’t pop up(it opens) however it works again after a few hours…

That's demonic possession. Elon plans to handle that issue in his new tunnel.

Mine was delivered at the end of May, I'm still finding trim not installed and a piece held together by velcro and double sided tape fell on me today. The assembly of this car is garbage.

Attachments

• 20170716_140005.jpg
    20170716_140005.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 148
Issues Inhad so far; falcon door made sound when opening and an allignment issue. This had been resolved. Also saw a piece on the door that had not been painted properly. Door needs to be repainted. This will be done only in november..

Early May '15 delivery; after some teething pains (door latches, sensor replacement & quarter panel noise), product has been superb (close to 30K now).

One other observation....I had 5 different BMW X5's prior to my Tesla purchase and every X5 had some issues that needed to be repaired (recalls, rattles, wind noise). Moreover, the "driving machine" would work well for first couple of years/20K or so; after that, ride was always harsh and truck like. The X has retained it's great driving feel even though I'm almost 30K in.

On D-day (early June 2017) found these issues:

4 inch scratch on rear tailgate glass
imperfection on paint of spoiler
creaking sound on right FWD - after this was fixed the left FWD started making the same sounds
Inside right FWD the upper trim is warped
Right FWD upper rubber seal on fixed glass is not aligned with the spine therefore it stick up a little
AC stopped working after 1 week

After rear tailgate glass and spoiler replaced the tailgate is misaligned; no idea how that could happen since they didn't have to remove the tailgate to replace the glass and spoiler (according to the tech)

So after 5 weeks of ownership I've been to the SC twice with a third apt. next week...:mad:

9/16 delivery - 33k miles so far.
Early issues with FWD alignment and popping when opening.
And changed front tires right at 32k miles. Been on long road-trips (1500 miles) and many short ones.
Lots of city driving with FWD opening frequently.

Now, just hope nothing changes :rolleyes:

We picked up June 25, 2017. Minor issues, nothing outside what we expected of a 14 year old company in an industry where 50-100 year old manufacturers still make mistakes, too.

- Passenger FWD alignment was as much as 1/4" off in spots
- Driver a-pillar/roof panel was much more than 1/4" off where it meets the FWD. That FWD was perfectly aligned, however.
- Driver 1/4 window needed adjustment to seal better
- Driver FWD creaked at the top of travel
- Passenger 2nd row monopost seat got a loose bolt stuck in the track and wouldn't move

All issues resolved by the SC a week after delivery. I fully expect the driver FWD to creak again and long term I can't see how they'll stay reliable but they are worth it to me.

Still it is only fair to grade Tesla as nowhere near toyota/lexus good in terms of initial quality. I'd say they are still 30% shy of where BMW/Audi is on initial quality. I'm a hobby mechanic, have worked on every car we've owned, and we tend to keep them for decades. That said, I'm giving serious thought to buying the extended warranty on this one. The only thing stopping me is the thought that we might upgrade in 4-5 years and you really need to keep the car the full 8 years to get the value out of the extended warranty.

So it's also fair to say we think the car is good enough to make up for it's shortcomings and Tesla is evolving fast enough that we'd consider upgrading despite our habit of keeping cars forever.

Every Tesla buyer needs to go into it with eyes wide open. It's a great car. It lacks things you might expect. They don't have 50-100 years of manufacturing experience to help them get things right on the first try, but it also means there is a lot of innovation in the car. Tesla is incorporating improvements into manufacturing sometimes weekly (which is unheard of in the car industry). So the cars are getting better with each week's build. Some of those improvements make it to cars in the field. Do not buy into the sales pitch. Research like the OP is doing by scanning the forums is key to knowing what one is really buying and whether that's what they're willing to get themselves into.

If you follow the 80/20 rule, the Model X is 80% stable.

where is that piece from? can you show us in the car?
Left Hand interior trunk corner.
I'm taking it on Thursday. You can see the double sided tape on the car. The velcro was glued to the trim piece that's sticking out. The double sided tape failed first, then while handling the piece, the glue on the other side of the velcro came off.
I also had the trim piece on the inside of the trunk below the window was loose (its gray fabric).
I noticed it was really loud sitting in the FWD on the driver's side, discovered the trim on the top (behind the window) wasn't secure and had a 2 inch gap. I'm asking the SC to check all the trim pieces for me (aka finish assembling the car).

Tesla pretty much dumped the car on me without finishing it to make Q1 numbers. The end of the quarter was soo crazy, they even brought it to the wrong address.

Attachments

• trunktrim.jpg
    trunktrim.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 81
  • trunktrimpiece.jpg
    trunktrimpiece.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 81
I'm taking it on Thursday. You can see the double sided tape on the car. The velcro was glued to the trim piece that's sticking out. The double sided tape failed first, then while handling the piece, the glue on the other side of the velcro came off.
I also had the trim piece on the inside of the trunk below the window was loose (its gray fabric).
I noticed it was really loud sitting in the FWD on the driver's side, discovered the trim on the top (behind the window) wasn't secure and had a 2 inch gap. I'm asking the SC to check all the trim pieces for me (aka finish assembling the car).

Tesla pretty much dumped the car on me without finishing it to make Q1 numbers. The end of the quarter was soo crazy, they even brought it to the wrong address.
i would grab some crazy glue and make it permanent...