Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality problems; "veteran members" tell us, how significant are they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I can't agree with this. Our ICE cars go in for regular service at intervals that are a little more than a year or so of driving. All the oil changing and such is done at those times.

The potential buyers will be coming from ICE vehicles and will likely not have had their vehicles serviced at intervals greater than once a year. That's certainly not the norm in my experience. Keep in mind also that aside from no oil changes the regenerative braking saves on brake repairs.

Plus, I've never had an ICE vehicle serviced in my parking lot under warranty while I worked, like Tesla did when they repaired a door handle. I used to get rides to and from my office from the dealership and I thought that was good service. But Tesla took that one step further.

My car has had it's share of issues. Overall, they are insignificant. Mostly squeaks and rattles that Tesla happily fixes. Even the big things, like drive unit replacements, aren't like a motor or transmission repair in an ICE. (I think the service center said it took about the same amount of time to realign the car after DU replacement as it did to replace the unit.) Tesla's service is great, and I never have any worries. I believe drive unit issue has been solved with updated or shimmed parts, which should prevent new car's drive units from needing to be replaced.

The potential buyers will be coming from ICE vehicles and will likely not have had their vehicles serviced at intervals greater than once a year. That's certainly not the norm in my experience. Keep in mind also that aside from no oil changes the regenerative braking saves on brake repairs.

Plus, I've never had an ICE vehicle serviced in my parking lot under warranty while I worked, like Tesla did when they repaired a door handle. I used to get rides to and from my office from the dealership and I thought that was good service. But Tesla took that one step further.

Tesla service is great. My comment was in response to saving money on service vs an ICE. On that, I can not agree. I've also yet to replace the brakes on either ICE. One is 6 years old, the other is 2. I feel like much of these savings that are being quoted are theoretical... like Tesla's "the car cost less because time is money and you'll spend less time at gas stations!".

The car has a lot going for it. I just don't see the need to fabricate (IMO) additional reasons to buy it.

Doesn't this make, like, a dozen threads asking this question?

As the OP noted, you can't determine failure rates by reading fora postings. Only Tesla has the real rates, and they are not sharing - although somebody noted their warranty reserves seem inline with other manufacturers.

What you really want is a prediction, but of course nobody can give you that.

Next best is to look at past performance. You need a lot of data, including from people that don't have problems. Consumer Reports still has some selection issues and doesn't cover everybody, but the types of errors that would generate tend to be with absolute rather than comparative numbers. So I think the best data we have (though not perfect) is look at Consumer Reports and compare to other cars.

CR says the Model S is average. For people that are scared off by that, many comparable ICE cars are worse.

For those considering used cars, the most common question is "which year is best?" The biggest problem with that is that Tesla does not make changes by model year; they are continuous.

They are also growing rapidly, and making many changes to reduce costs and speed up the assembly line, in addition to changes to improve quality. Sometimes quality moved backwards; though I would expect the overall trend to be positive.

As has been said before, early cars had some well-known problems, but Tesla fixed them for free and the early car owners I know (including me) are extremely happy with what we have. It's not breaking over and over.

Just my .02, 8 months, 22k miles. I've had just about everything in the car replaced that could be replaced. Let's see...

2 door handles
2 door control modules
4 charge ports (the first had a burned out LED, the other three were to troubleshoot a amperage drop during charging)
3 chargers (again, to troubleshooting amperage drop while charging)
12v battery posts (proactive, not my call)
Spline/hub service to address clicking sound (3 visits, once to diagnosis, 2 to fix)
Three visits for leaky sunroof, fourth visit was a new sun roof (lots of wet crotches for driver and passengers, not in a good way)
Windshield replacement because robot at factory ran out of glue and there was a leak
Driver door wiring harness / driver door mirror (this took three visits, and I was the one to successfully diagnose the issue, hurray!)
Three visits to properly align chrome trim pieces
Re-glue other chrome trim pieces to eliminate cracking sound on 45' turns into driveway
New HVAC vents (sounded like a leaf was stuck in there when first delivered)
Three front fan replacements (not sure if all the same one or different)
Various squeaks and rattles that were addresses by the miraculous Teflon tape
Visit to install center-console
Visit to mount summer tires
Currently troubleshooting the whining sound from the rear between 0-20kw and below 30mph

Total of 15 service visits to date I think. Whew, that feels good to get it all down in writing.

I do blame a lot of the issues on the end of production rush in Q3'14 due to the factory shutdown/new production line. And I'd say half of the issues are quality control that should have been dealt with at the factory (but weren't because it's easier on Tesla to let the service center resolve the issue at the expense of the customer's time), and the other half are design/engineering issues where a new bulletin or part revision addressed an already known issue. I do suspect that the drive unit issues for RWD cars may be an engineering issue that will always plague us. There are certain indicators that TM is trying to mitigate this by lowering peak kw and therefore reducing stress in that component to delay/eliminate failure risk.

All that being said, I am terrified about out-of-warranty repair costs. When they happen (and they will happen if the reliability on here is any indication, which I think it is), they are going to be expensive, even if you have the extended warranty (read the fine print, there is a deductible for each incident).

In closing, amazingly enough, no problems as of yet that have cause me to be stranded anywhere. Although the door handle issue forced several entries into the car via the trunk. I am slightly concerned that the whining sound is a precursor to something that could cause the car to be un-drivable, but the service center seems oddly unconcerned.

And here is the real kicker, I'm still on my 1st 12v battery! I know, right?

November 2012 delivery here:

I've had the following issues:
1 door handle performing inconsistently (rear passenger side, so only minority inconvenient) - replaced for free
Bluetooth microphone burnout - replaced for free

When I had those issues fixed they were out of loaners so I did have to drop off the car at the service center ~12 miles away and pick it up 2 days later.

That's it. I mistakenly thought I had a screen failure of the 17" touchscreen, but it turned out that was user (my) error and had nothing to do with the car build quality or the software.

Tesla has pro-actively done a lot of small hardware upgrades whenever it goes in for its annual service, but I don't really bother to note them because they're fixing things that aren't broken. Similarly, they recalled my whole 85kwh battery (A-pack) and shipped it off to California a few months ago and replaced it with a loaner battery that I've now been driving on for quite a few miles - I won't complain if they ultimately forget and let me keep the new pack although I hadn't experienced any noticeable battery degradation yet in 3 years. Tesla service e-mailed me proactively and asked to do this and then they came and picked up the car while I was at work and switched the batteries out by the time I had to drive home and put it back in the lot. Seamless.

A note about delivery rushes: it's probably true that cars built toward the end of a quarter in the past have had more quality issues. (My car was one of the first built in Q4'14 and has been reliable). One positive is that Tesla has finally started to balance out its production. There didn't seem to be as big a rush to get cars delivered at the end of Q1'15, and seems to be doing better at keeping a steady production pace. I believe Elon even mentioned that they needed to stop the delivery rushes at the end of the quarter.

This should bode well for quality.

I had an early problem with a solenoid for the air suspension that they fixed immediately with no inconvenience to me at all. The only other problem I have had has been that the pano roof rail rubber gasket is getting chewed up by something. No idea what since the roof works perfectly. Their service is SO GOOD, that they saw my post on this forum, asking a question about if anybody else had this issue, and they contacted me proactively to to get it fixed. I never called them.

Now THAT is service. You will be fine. It is an excellent car in every aspect. I have 11K and 8 months and I will NEVER go back.

I had an early problem with a solenoid for the air suspension that they fixed immediately with no inconvenience to me at all. The only other problem I have had has been that the pano roof rail rubber gasket is getting chewed up by something. No idea what since the roof works perfectly. Their service is SO GOOD, that they saw my post on this forum, asking a question about if anybody else had this issue, and they contacted me proactively to to get it fixed. I never called them.

Now THAT is service. You will be fine. It is an excellent car in every aspect. I have 11K and 8 months and I will NEVER go back.

I had this experience as well after posting in the low speed whine noise thread. Tesla is definitely listening!

Wow!

Nope, they called me once as well regarding a post I made here yet I never posted my VIN here.

Same here...I posted about some rattles in my car one morning and the SC called me that afternoon. They fixed the rattles and even one I didn't notice.

Tesla service, just like the Model S is unmatched in the industry...despite any issues, just look at how many people still love their car and how many are already on their 2nd Model S.

You just can't get into owning a Model S thinking the same way as any other car brand because Tesla has completely changed the way you buy a car and service it.

VIN #P00061 here, car delivered Sept 2012. Considering the very early VIN, I'm quite pleased with how solid the car is. Here are the issues I've had:

1. Took delivery, woke up the next day to find the windshield cracked in half! (Factory installation issue.) Replaced quickly and free. No problems since.
2. Creaky Pano roof, took ~3 attempts to properly fix. Working fine now.
3. 3g connectivity dropout, required replacement of some interior components. (SC couldn't diagnose at first because their diagnostic equipment relied on 3g!) Fine now.
4. Original vanity mirrors were warped/distorted. Replaced with better ones.
5. One faulty door handle replaced. Another is still occasionally balky (rear door spontaneously pops open when car put into park); will try to replace at next SC visit.

Never had any drivetrain or battery issues, knock on carbon fiber. (though I hope to one day get a free upgrade to the newer 120kW-capable pack ;-)

They seem to only track down members on here if you have your VIN in your sig. Beyond that, they can only speculate who you are for the most part and cant reliably get in touch with you.
I don't have my VIN in my sig... and while discussing a rather minor issue here they were able to track me down and contact me regarding it. Was pretty interesting they were able to find me out, although I supposed I revealed enough info about myself :)

If they have your city (and it is not a big town) and configuration, they can probably figure out who you are...at least they could when there were only 10-30k Model S out there. Now it is harder. I would imagine if your Location is San Francisco, they are not going to figure out who you are.