Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quarantined charging habits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I now only drive to the grocery store every couple weeks and nothing more, I have set my charge limit down to 60%.

I have it start charging in the middle of the night every night. It sits in a shared garage so I have Sentry Mode running all day. Because of this, it dips to about 56% by the end of the day and charges back to 60% in the middle of the night.

What are your quarantine charging habits?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I follow this regimen:

-Charge to 90% at home, always.
-Charge as high as time permits at destination or other complimentary chargers.
-Charge to 10-15% buffer at paid SC’s, or paid CHAdeMO.
-Charge as high as time permits at free SC’s, or free CHAdeMO.

Have always carried Lysol wipes in the car so didn’t have to adapt much there.

Last edited:
Since I got my car 2 years ago I have taken it out everyday and charged it to 90%. With this covid in the past 13 days I have taken it out 4 times, just for a 15KM(9mile) drive. I have set the charging limit to 50% as I don’t need more. Tesla recommends if you’re going to leave the car for a long time, to leave it plugged in at 50%. Although I’m taking the car out, I don’t need more than 50.

• Funny
Charge to 80%, drive the car for a few days (or weeks) until around 30% charge left, plug it back in. All driving is currently local. Medical center is ten minutes away if we need to go there, and they have a Level 2 available for public use. If for some reason I should need to top off quickly, I can drive to the Supercharger ten minutes away. No real reason to bother plugging in daily. No TOD use plans available, so I can plug in and charge at anytime.

• Funny
I do not understand the wisdom of this. What if you have an unexpected emergency to care for family or neighbor? According to my daily TESLI FI reports my 80% charge seldom changes on idle days.

If I have an unexpected emergency my car at 60% can go nearly 200 miles :D and I don’t think I have ever driven that many miles unless on a road trip. No family out of state so no reason to ever drive that far.

• Funny
Can you point out a Tesla document or recommendation for that?
Model 3 Manual page 155 "Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks."

I can't recall if the 50% recommendations was in the manual or not, but it was always the same consensus when these discussions come up to leave it at 50% which is best for the battery. Here are discussions from 2015:
Tesla LONG term storage?
Long Term Storage

Someone mentioned in one of the threads that a similar question was posted in the Tesla forums and someone with authority recommended the 50% limit, and it has stuck with people since. I searched for long term storage in the forum and every single thread comes to the same conclusion; 50% plugged in.

Cheers

• Funny
Model 3 Manual page 155 "Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks."

I can't recall if the 50% recommendations was in the manual or not, but it was always the same consensus when these discussions come up to leave it at 50% which is best for the battery. Here are discussions from 2015:
Tesla LONG term storage?
Long Term Storage

Someone mentioned in one of the threads that a similar question was posted in the Tesla forums and someone with authority recommended the 50% limit, and it has stuck with people since. I searched for long term storage in the forum and every single thread comes to the same conclusion; 50% plugged in.

Cheers

In other words, there is no Tesla recommendation to do that. You should probably edit your original post claiming such, yes? This is how misinformation is spread.

I haven't plugged my car in in 2 weeks. Only driven 3 times locally. Still has 170 miles of range so I'm fine with that. Normally I charge to 80% every night, but with so little use why bother?
Same here....Uncle Covid saves me charging, hehe. I finally top it off yesterday on weekend super low peak at the same time the SUN is up here in our City. (Solar City panels). Be safe out there my Tesla siblings....

Tesla LONG term storage?
Long Term Storage

Cheers

In other words, Tesla makes no such recommendation. Some Guy On The Internet does. Not making judgements about any particular SGOTI, but please don't confuse them with official information, news or instructions.

Keep it plugged in. That much is in the manual. And that much is what is recommended. Any particular percentage, is not. It's just anecdotal, so if I can ask kindly, please help keep facts separated from tribal opinion.