Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

quarterly production/delivery numbers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to be conspiratorial, but isn't it weird that the Q3 production and delivery numbers haven't been released yet? I just spent some time looking back at 2018 and for all quarters it looked like they were released on the morning of the second day of the next quarter. Now it's already the third and the markets are closed... so maybe tomorrow morning? Why wait so long?

Reactions: jvonbokel
Not to be conspiratorial, but isn't it weird that the Q3 production and delivery numbers haven't been released yet? I just spent some time looking back at 2018 and for all quarters it looked like they were released on the morning of the second day of the next quarter. Now it's already the third and the markets are closed... so maybe tomorrow morning? Why wait so long?
Supposedly they said they are coming in tonight but who knows. And yes, it is weird. Presumably they are waiting on something or something got screwed up.

The pessimist in me thinks they are delaying as long as possible because it's bad news. The optimist in me thinks it's delayed just because overseas deliveries were so nuts and they are trying to make sure everything is counted properly.

Guessing it's a little of both though.

It's too bad they are shoehorned into quarterly delivery numbers being so important to the stock. If they could just manufacture and deliver cars as best they could without time being a factor things would smooth out a lot.

Instead its produce tons of cars in batches for all over the world, and then race to get them all transported and delivered before the end of the quarter.

• Disagree
Reactions: wnorris and glide
I'm not sure what you are responding to. They don't produce autos in batches. Production is a continuous process. The only batching for foreign delivery is that they have to be loaded onto ships by the thousands which is the pipeline which was loaded this quarter. From here on out there won't be any further pipeline loading, so the numbers should reflect the true potential of the company.
I meant that they currently produce and ship in a way that makes the last month of every quarter a complete poopshow zoo. It strains the delivery centers, and also makes for a not so nice customer experience. All because they want to make the quarterly numbers look good.

What I was saying was it would be nice if they could just handle it in a manner that spreads out delivery around the world so the end of quarter rush didn't exist.

More important data would be comparing this Quarter with the same Quarter last year. This would more properly indicate if the company is growing or not.

Q4 last year was an all out massive push to get as many cars as possible built and delivered, because of the impending loss of the full Federal Tax credit. They pulled out all the stops and pushed everyone to the absolute limite to get all the cars delivered so as many customers as possible could be eligible for the $7,500 tax credit.

This Quarter they have been concentrating on opening Asia and Europe. Shipping more efficiently and filling the pipelines. They have improved Autopilot and been pushing deals on FSD upgrades. They have installed the first V3 Superchargers and developed additional software to speed up Supercharging for the entire fleet. They have updated NOA, announced the 10X faster super chip for enhancing FSD.
They have released first pictures of RHD versions of the Model 3, opened additional service centers and delivery centers.

Massive work has been accomplished at Gigafactory 3 in China, Work is being completed on the Tesla Semi and the Tesla Pickup has been moved into top of mind status. The Model Y was revealed with a working model and test rides, the prices of new production has been reduced and additional battery production machinery has begun production at Gigafactory 1.

In Elon's spare time he has inked a deal to construct an underground Boring Company people mover in Las Vegas and SpaceX has successfully launched the first space capsule to dock at the International Space Station capable of bringing astronauts to and from the station on USA equipment.

Gotta look at the whole picture, not just one statistic in a 90 day period.

Reactions: Sudre
This Quarter they have been concentrating on opening Asia and Europe. Shipping more efficiently and filling the pipelines.

I think they didn't achieve their goals on those. Partly because they simply didn't manage to get enough Euro-spec production made. Partly because of delivery difficulties.

Let's keep an eye on Q2 Euro deliveries to see if they've actually managed to get production up over 5000/week average. They should deliver more than 20K Model 3s to Europe in Q2 -- at least 25K if things are going well, 30K if things are going perfectly.

Everything else is looking pretty good, but this is important.

I think they didn't achieve their goals on those. Partly because they simply didn't manage to get enough Euro-spec production made. Partly because of delivery difficulties.

Let's keep an eye on Q2 Euro deliveries to see if they've actually managed to get production up over 5000/week average. They should deliver more than 20K Model 3s to Europe in Q2 -- at least 25K if things are going well, 30K if things are going perfectly.

Everything else is looking pretty good, but this is important.
Delivery numbers in europe are well over 20k. only be,de,nl,dk is 22k norway and uk not included.

• Informative
Reactions: riverFox
Does anyone know anyone who has had a new build (not new inventory) MS or MX in the last month? All the inventory sites just seem to have dwindelling MS and MX new inventory stock and no increases in VIN numbers. No cars with the new suspension seem to be around, and I've read reports/rumours that they stopped production of MS and MX a month ago.

Short term clearing out all the older stock is no bad thing, turn then into cash, but the production numbers are going to look pretty dreadful for Q2 unless M3 production makes up for it.

Does anyone know anyone who has had a new build (not new inventory) MS or MX in the last month? All the inventory sites just seem to have dwindelling MS and MX new inventory stock and no increases in VIN numbers. No cars with the new suspension seem to be around, and I've read reports/rumours that they stopped production of MS and MX a month ago.

Short term clearing out all the older stock is no bad thing, turn then into cash, but the production numbers are going to look pretty dreadful for Q2 unless M3 production makes up for it.
Have you heard of Raven ? There is a big backlog and Tesla has started delivering those cars.

Model X Order/Delivery Tracking - Google Sheet

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Yes I've heard of Raven and there was a flood of cars appearing on the inventory sites with the new suspension and motors. I bookmarked one

Tesla Info: 2019 MS Ludicrous Performance in US listed at $0

It sold in May - my point is no others have appeared since. Even that thread you linked to was pretty quiet for a while, and the comment suggest in early june point to old spec cars being pushed on owners who had to query the spec, others with hidden vins,. others with gaps in delivery dates, maybe they've just restarted making them which is why I asked but other than a rep saying "sure we're delivering loads every day" it looks like nobody actually received one other than early June which would probably have been built in May.

Yes I've heard of Raven and there was a flood of cars appearing on the inventory sites with the new suspension and motors. I bookmarked one

Tesla Info: 2019 MS Ludicrous Performance in US listed at $0

It sold in May - my point is no others have appeared since. Even that thread you linked to was pretty quiet for a while, and the comment suggest in early june point to old spec cars being pushed on owners who had to query the spec, others with hidden vins,. others with gaps in delivery dates, maybe they've just restarted making them which is why I asked but other than a rep saying "sure we're delivering loads every day" it looks like nobody actually received one other than early June which would probably have been built in May.
Checkout the spreadsheet.

19 X + S delivered in Q1
81 X + S delivered in Q2

Tesla doesn't list all manufactured cars in inventory. So, you can't go by inventory.

Last edited:
Checkout the spreadsheet.

19 X + S delivered in Q1
81 X + S delivered in Q2

Tesla doesn't list all manufactured cars in inventory. So, you can't go by inventory.

I thought you had basic comprehension of the difference between build abd deliver

I've suggested for 3-4 weeks there has been no production. That would make no difference to Q1 figures and and make little difference to Q2 figures if they were inventory cars. And the new inventory figures have fallen around the world.

I'm talking about evidence of recently built cars