Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on making a late night drive into Phoenix in a couple weeks and will be returning on a Sunday evening. This Quartzite issue is concerning. I'm thinking of making long stops in Indio and Buckeye and just straight shoting it. This is a really bad Supercharger gap!
Just remember Buckeye is at 1100 ft of elevation and Indio is around (actually slightly below) sea level. The rule of thumb is about 1 rated mile per 100 ft of elevation change. So the return trip will burn about 22 less rated miles than the trip out. This works in your favor because if you are going late at night on the way out, Quartzsite should not be crowded, but the Sunday evening on the way back, it likely would be. Also you can "practice" doing this leg in the more difficult direction first (and use Quartzsite if necessary).

• Informative
Reactions: golfpilot
I'm planning on making a late night drive into Phoenix in a couple weeks and will be returning on a Sunday evening. This Quartzite issue is concerning. I'm thinking of making long stops in Indio and Buckeye and just straight shoting it. This is a really bad Supercharger gap!

Don't worry. Except the peak time during the day you will be fine, especially at night.

Reactions: golfpilot
I checked to see what the "planned" status was for a SC in Blythe. To my surprise, there is no planned location in Blythe.
Does anyone know if SCs have been known to pop up spontaneously in locations that never appeared on the Tesla map before?
It is hard enough to get those "planned" sites filled with working hardware let alone an "off-the-radar site". So it looks like Indio may get beefed up based upon Tesla's future map. Hopefully a few more stalls in Quartzsite will appear or perhaps it will get a higher speed charger. We shall see.

I checked to see what the "planned" status was for a SC in Blythe. To my surprise, there is no planned location in Blythe.
Does anyone know if SCs have been known to pop up spontaneously in locations that never appeared on the Tesla map before?
It is hard enough to get those "planned" sites filled with working hardware let alone an "off-the-radar site". So it looks like Indio may get beefed up based upon Tesla's future map. Hopefully a few more stalls in Quartzsite will appear or perhaps it will get a higher speed charger. We shall see.
Sometimes superchargers do show up in cities that never had a "coming soon" dot.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz and mociaf9
I believe Tesla's supercharger team is aware of the bottle neck and have plans for this route. The next disaster with long waiting lines will come. Oddly enough, every time it is busy in Quartzsite and I drive east to stop in Buckeye, there is only a few cars there. It makes me think, maybe people charge in Quartzsite all the way up to make it well into the Phoenix. Tesla's own navigation system actually tends to skip over Buckeye and favor Quartzsite going either direction. Maybe some of the congestion is partly home made by the navigation system favoring this site for trips.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I believe Tesla's supercharger team is aware of the bottle neck and have plans for this route. The next disaster with long waiting lines will come. Oddly enough, every time it is busy in Quartzsite and I drive east to stop in Buckeye, there is only a few cars there. It makes me think, maybe people charge in Quartzsite all the way up to make it well into the Phoenix. Tesla's own navigation system actually tends to skip over Buckeye and favor Quartzsite going either direction. Maybe some of the congestion is partly home made by the navigation system favoring this site for trips.
The Nav likes to have a buffer of 15% or so. Not many Teslas would have that kind of buffer by skipping Quartzsite. But yes, owners should step in and use their brains and override the Nav in cases like this.

The Nav likes to have a buffer of 15% or so. Not many Teslas would have that kind of buffer by skipping Quartzsite. But yes, owners should step in and use their brains and override the Nav in cases like this.

I drive between LA and PHX a lot and noticed the navigation would often avoid Buckeye for whatever reason. That always comes at the cost of having to charge longer in Quartzsite making the bottle neck worse.

Same on a trip from LA to San Diego. The navigation recommended to stop and charge in SJC which was 100% full at the time (and is known to be very busy). Just a few miles down is San Clemente with over 20 stalls and it had 7 or so available. Why would the navigation pick a full station when there is a larger supercharger available that has many open spots? The arrival SoC would have been more than 24%. I think Tesla has room to improve their supercharger routing to avoid busy stations and avoid lines.

I agree, every owner should use their brains and look at available options, but I can see many new owners without experience just going by what the car tells them.

That can be a hard change to make with so much about the car trying to get you to turn your brain off more and more. Dynamic routing with the nav considering live supercharger capacity/usage status as well as eventually also considering using other cars' planned trips is probably a future plan.

Just passed through there again yesterday. At noon it was pretty busy. 10 out of 12 in use and people were moving their cars back and forth between stalls to find a good charge rate, including me. First stall gave me 9 kW. The temporary one gave me 47 kW. Finally I saw one car leave opening up an unpaired stall and I finally got 100 kW there. The entire time people that came played the same game. Everyone talking to each other trying to figure out which ones is the fastest. One driver insisted that the temporary stalls are the fastest.

It's unfortunate that we have to play this annoying game of trying to find the right stall to get a decent charge speed.

Just be sure to report the problem. The more reports the more likely they will fix it.

I'll be visiting the Indio, Quartzsite, and Buckeye Superchargers tomorrow morning to make it in time for my cousin's graduation in Tempe. I plan to leave Orange County, Ca by 7am Saturday so I don't anticipate crowded chargers. However, I'm planning on leaving Phoenix around 1pm-3pm on Sunday and I'm sure Quartzsite will be busy by the time I get there. I noticed the max rate is 150kW and I wonder how much that will help.

As David99 observed, if the Tesla trip planner utilized the Buckeye location a little more then the charging durations at Quartzsite could be diminished. Even better would be for folks to charge with enough headroom to make to it to the next Supercharger lot, instead of trying to charge beyond 80% SOC.

I'll be visiting the Indio, Quartzsite, and Buckeye Superchargers tomorrow morning to make it in time for my cousin's graduation in Tempe. I plan to leave Orange County, Ca by 7am Saturday so I don't anticipate crowded chargers. However, I'm planning on leaving Phoenix around 1pm-3pm on Sunday and I'm sure Quartzsite will be busy by the time I get there. I noticed the max rate is 150kW and I wonder how much that will help.

As David99 observed, if the Tesla trip planner utilized the Buckeye location a little more then the charging durations at Quartzsite could be diminished. Even better would be for folks to charge with enough headroom to make to it to the next Supercharger lot, instead of trying to charge beyond 80% SOC.

I would charge more in Buckeye and Indio to minimize charging in Quartzsite.

Reactions: maximizese
I'll be visiting the Indio, Quartzsite, and Buckeye Superchargers tomorrow morning to make it in time for my cousin's graduation in Tempe. I plan to leave Orange County, Ca by 7am Saturday so I don't anticipate crowded chargers.
You're travelling during the day on a Saturday, basically when everyone else travels. I would expect this to be a busy time at the superchargers.

You're travelling during the day on a Saturday, basically when everyone else travels. I would expect this to be a busy time at the superchargers.

I arrived on Saturday at 11am and only 2 of the 12 chargers were being used. Tesla must have predicted a heavier demand in the region given Coachella, Stagecoach, super-blooms, college graduations, etc, because mobile chargers were added at Cabazon, Indio, and Quartzsite. I got spoiled on our drive to Tempe since all the V2 Supercharging lots were less than 50% utilized. Not so on the return.

We hit Quartzsite yesterday around 5:30pm and 4 of 12 stalls were available. Not a huge deal. My mom and I enjoyed an iced coffee at Carl's Jr, and chatted with a retired couple from South Dakota who was curious about the economics and ease of driving an EV. We left with 177 range miles and barely made it to the 118 mi to Indio (got there with 5% left). It got incredibly gusty in the Indio region. We consumed 78 range miles to go 31 mi from Indio to Cabazon because of the strong headwind. I was utilizing 525W/mi to sustain 68mph...it felt like I was dragging a parachute. Making an unanticipated stop in Cabazon to recharge, I inspected the undercarriage and checked the brakes to make sure there wasn't something mechanical causing the drag but didn't see anything wrong. I was concerned there was something wrong with our MS, but after driving 5 mi west, the winds completely died down and I was seeing 310W/mi again. Got back home to Orange County around 10:30pm...suddenly that updated MS100 with 370 range miles is looking a whole lot more attractive.

Reactions: tmoz
I arrived on Saturday at 11am and only 2 of the 12 chargers were being used. Tesla must have predicted a heavier demand in the region given Coachella, Stagecoach, super-blooms, college graduations, etc, because mobile chargers were added at Cabazon, Indio, and Quartzsite. I got spoiled on our drive to Tempe since all the V2 Supercharging lots were less than 50% utilized. Not so on the return.

We hit Quartzsite yesterday around 5:30pm and 4 of 12 stalls were available. Not a huge deal. My mom and I enjoyed an iced coffee at Carl's Jr, and chatted with a retired couple from South Dakota who was curious about the economics and ease of driving an EV. We left with 177 range miles and barely made it to the 118 mi to Indio (got there with 5% left). It got incredibly gusty in the Indio region. We consumed 78 range miles to go 31 mi from Indio to Cabazon because of the strong headwind. I was utilizing 525W/mi to sustain 68mph...it felt like I was dragging a parachute. Making an unanticipated stop in Cabazon to recharge, I inspected the undercarriage and checked the brakes to make sure there wasn't something mechanical causing the drag but didn't see anything wrong. I was concerned there was something wrong with our MS, but after driving 5 mi west, the winds completely died down and I was seeing 310W/mi again. Got back home to Orange County around 10:30pm...suddenly that updated MS100 with 370 range miles is looking a whole lot more attractive.
Supercharger elevations:

Indio -10 ft.
Cabazon 2,034 ft.

Also note the wind turbines along the interstate between Indio and Cabazon. There's a reason they are there.

Reactions: P85_DA
Finding an unpaired stall

20190616_175950.jpg

This site was full at about 3:30pm on 8/4. My Model3 was getting about 50mi/hr and the X next to me was getting 4mi/hr. I did a two-finger reboot and then got a steady 230mi/hr. Suggested this to the X but didn't follow up. Several stations were not functioning or were providing a very slow rate. Two pallet-based chargers were there and judging by the people pulling in and out, they weren't all working well either.

This is very disappointing given that this is a crucial stop from LA to Phx and will only get busier as more Model 3's get sold.

The X driver suggested the poor performance could be due to heat since it was about 115 but I later topped off in Buckeye (where it was only 112) and got > 430mi/hr.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
In the heat, your charging speed will be great for a few minutes, but after 5-10% your rate will drop down to somewhee around 65 kW. The cars' cooling systems just can't compete with 115-degree temps.

The urban pallet chargers top out at 30kW.
The old pallet chargers top out at 50kW.

• Informative
Reactions: maximizese