TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quartzsite supercharger problems

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Tinky, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Tinky

Tinky Member

Has anyone had problems at this supercharger? I have used it twice and problems both times.
    The first time was in July. There were two of us at the supercharger and we were not right next to reach other. We were both only getting 70 amps. The second time was yesterday and the charging stopped but after moving down two stalls the charging worked perfectly.

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

When you select the SpC on the 17" and the pop up appears does it note any issues? As of 6.1, it's supposed to say "POWER REDUCED -" Just curious if you see that.

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

If you look at the chargers, you might notice some numbers: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, etc. Every SET of TWO chargers has one inverter stack, which you can also see in that big enclosure near the chargers. EACH SET will give full power to the first car. If a second car parks and plugs into the same inverter, the second car will get whatever is left over (ie: a car with a 90 kW battery would start out at 90 kW, and fairly quickly be ramped down as the charge proceeded. The second car would start up at 120 kW minus 90 kW equals 30 kW, and start to ramp up) Depending on when you plugged in, when car A plugged in, etc., could make a huge difference in how fast you were getting charge.

People who know this, and there are precious few, will make sure they are not paired with another car, or at least will try to find out who has been there longest and pair with them. Most people just drive in and park and don't even notice they are charging at 50 kW.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Whenever something like this happens call Tesla and ask about it. They have real time data coming back from a cellular data modem on the Supercharger Cabinet. Call 877-798-3752; the number is on the charging pedestal.

5. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

@roblab +1
    you are absolutely correct. So many Tesla drivers are not aware of the charger pairing and what that means for charging rates.

But just to mess this up completely, the paired chargers are not arranged in the same sequence from SC to SC. Because TM uses different contractors for different locations, it is up to a third party to arrange the chargers at each location. Sometimes 1A is next to 1B, other times they are at opposite ends of the SC line. It drives me nuts because I have to pull along seeing how they are arranged before I can back into a selected charger.

I have had a few interactions with drivers who pulled into a given charger to match mine. After a brief explanation, they are glad to move for their own and my benefit.

6. Tyl

Tyl Member

I have never had any problems supercharging in Quartzite AZ. All the above, are excellent posts. I've charged in Quartzite many, many times since it opened, at many different pedestals. Please make sure whenever you plug in anywhere, you are getting a *solid connection. *(push in a little on the handle as you insert into your car)

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

With the trip computer our cars are supposed to have access to this same real time data. In an ideal world we should not have to call Tesla to find out the scoop.

8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I could not agree more, but...

Such a call is also to raise attention at the mothership. While such issues should automatically trigger alerts, a customer call raises awareness and priority to problems.

9. LilDeb1971

LilDeb1971 New Member

Attached Files:

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

It's not just third parties, the arrangement at the Fremont factory supercharger does not have the stall arranged contiguously by charger. I was there this morning and they go 1A, 2A, 1B, 2B, etc. So quite counterintuitively, parking next to someone is better than being staggered.

11. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

What was your SOC? 140a is only about 53kW, well below the expected 120kW. But could have been affected by your SOC.