Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quasar makes your car a big damn powerwall...OK Elon...what you think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s certainly interesting, but wonder what it would cost on an average house by a licensed electrician to have it installed in a manner that would allow backup of critical loads.
My guess is it would just back feed the panel through the same 50A breaker it's fed through. It would need sensors on the mains to understand overall load on the panel and could be set to sell back power, 0 out load of the house from the grid, or only charge... All based on schedules that you set via the app

My guess is it would just back feed the panel through the same 50A breaker it's fed through. It would need sensors on the mains to understand overall load on the panel and could be set to sell back power, 0 out load of the house from the grid, or only charge... All based on schedules that you set via the app
The sensors could be similar to what SolArk uses for their sell back "limited to home" configuration

Would need a disconnect (and perhaps a sub panel added) if it was actually going to provide backup in an outage.

I didn’t think about the use case you mention. That’s a good point and wouldn’t cost more than a few CTs.

They say it only works with CHADEMO cars. Begs the question if the Tesla adapter would make it work without he/sw changes? In the YT videos I've seen they say it unfortunately only works with a Subruru and Leaf right now. C'mon Tesla, work with this company to allow us to use our batteries for home power. If for nothing else in emergency situations
We have several years (in my case nearly 4) to wait for our trucks. That's enough time for the buying public to come up with a bunch of ideas for options. I think it would be good for both Tesla and us if they would put out a big list of potential options and allow us to select those that we would like. If few people pick an option dont offer it. This kind of adapter would be great for normal power outages of a few hours to a couple of days. If you really are careful with your power usage you could keep a freezer and fridge going for a week or 10 days

Personally I have two 14-50 plugs in my garage area. I'm hoping to utilize 1 as a panel backfeed right off the CT's 240 plug when the grid is down. Yes I have an interlock on the plug I plan to use as the input. Basically I can charge the truck from my generator directly or from the grid from one of the 14-50's. But if the grid goes down the 2nd 14-50 becomes an input.. I don't see why this wouldn't work outside of Tesla just gimping the output of the plug in the bed. CT doesn't know what my loads are, it just needs to supply power if I have an extended outage. That's all I'm really looking for and the Quasar isn't needed to make that happen.

Reactions: lafrisbee