Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quebec and Federal Incentives - When moving to Canada, when can I order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I will be moving to Canada in the coming months and would like to get a SR+ as soon as possible, since I will need a car for commuting

1 - From what I understood, to get the Quebec incentives I have to be living there at least three months, but this is for the delivery date or order date? Since the backlog seems to be close to 10 weeks after ordering, I would like to order it as soon as possible

2 - And what about the federal incentives? Do I have a minimum time residing in Canada to take benefit of it? Couldn't find it

3 - And last, both of them are a tax rebates in the end of the year or it is taken from the purchase price? I will be financing it, don't know if it matters

Thanks

1&2: You will need a Quebec's driver license to start. Here is the link that will help you determine what you need. It varies depending on many factors like if the country you are coming from has an agreement with Quebec. Foreign Driver’s Licence
You will also have to prove you have the right to stay in Canada/Quebec.

The proof of Quebec residence is two out of these three: a utility bill and a tax, Proof of payment of real estate or property taxes, or Proof of payment of Quebec income taxes. There isn't a time requirement here that I know of. The 3 months may be the Quebec Health card rules.

3 - You will get the Quebec rebate after the sale (via cheque/check). Here is the Quebec link that you must apply for the rebates after you take delivery. Procedure to follow | Québec Government rebate for new VE
The federal one is an upfront discount at the point of sale.

Hope that helped

Reactions: GhostSkater
They do send you a cheque but you get a « releve » form .

I am pretty sure you need to be a Quebec resident paying taxes here.

If the car is transferred out of Quebec in the first 4 yrs you are responsible to pay back the rebate (at a prorated rate).

It takes a couple of months to get the cheque so they are doing due diligence.

If not people would be buying Teslas under random names getting the cheques and exporting them.

They do send you a cheque but you get a « releve » form .

I am pretty sure you need to be a Quebec resident paying taxes here.

If the car is transferred out of Quebec in the first 4 yrs you are responsible to pay back the rebate (at a prorated rate).

It takes a couple of months to get the cheque so they are doing due diligence.

If not people would be buying Teslas under random names getting the cheques and exporting them.

My cousin said it took them over 3 months to get the rebate. Maybe you will be lucky and get it sooner?

Thanks everyone

Sounds like I will need to get a beater until I get everything in order to get a Tesla

Correct if I'm wrong but this would be the procedure to follow

1 - Get my Quebec driver license

2 - Order the car

3 - Go after a loan. Due to having no credit history in Canada some people told me the chance that getting one through Tesla is 0

4 - Get the car

5 - Apply for the Quebec and Federal incentives

Did I miss something?

The credit thing is a pitas, I agree. As soon as you can, get a credit card, even the smallest one. It helps build credit history.
I don't know about the Quebec driver license. As long as you can prove you live in Quebec with utility bills etc...it might be enough.
If I remember well, when I moved to Canada, you foreign driver license is valid for 3 or 6 months.

Starting a new life in a new country is eventful but worth it, been there ! :)

Learn French as soon as you can if I may suggest.

Good luck !

The credit thing is a pitas, I agree. As soon as you can, get a credit card, even the smallest one. It helps build credit history.
I don't know about the Quebec driver license. As long as you can prove you live in Quebec with utility bills etc...it might be enough.
If I remember well, when I moved to Canada, you foreign driver license is valid for 3 or 6 months.

Starting a new life in a new country is eventful but worth it, been there ! :)

Learn French as soon as you can if I may suggest.

Good luck !
Thanks

indeed will be an adventure, and you are right about the license, I have 6 months to get a new one

I’ve found some banks with special programs for foreigns that have no credit, let’s see how it goes

And for sure, taking French lessons for a few months already

Reactions: duanra
If you have strong credit and are starting a job with a good salary I have a lease from a private leasing company on my 2020 SR+ and may be looking for someone to take over my lease as I am looking into buying an S.

SR+ in grey with 19” wheels
Full front and rocker PPF. Upgraded audio (focal 8” and amp)
15000 km

Like new.

$790 plus tx month 0 down 60 months total. 53 moths left.

No paying rebate up front and waiting or the $3k my PPF and audio cost.

Attachments

• 7AE72E43-01C1-434E-BD93-9E9281769F73.jpeg
    7AE72E43-01C1-434E-BD93-9E9281769F73.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 91
If you have strong credit and are starting a job with a good salary I have a lease from a private leasing company on my 2020 SR+ and may be looking for someone to take over my lease as I am looking into buying an S.

SR+ in grey with 19” wheels
Full front and rocker PPF. Upgraded audio (focal 8” and amp)
15000 km

Like new.

$790 plus tx month 0 down 60 months total. 53 moths left.

No paying rebate up front and waiting or the $3k my PPF and audio cost.
Thanks for the offer

Unfortunately lease won't work me since I will have a close to 200 km round trip commute, or in the best case 100 km. Add a few road trips that I will definitely want to do and I will be way over the lease

Thanks for the offer

Unfortunately lease won't work me since I will have a close to 200 km round trip commute, or in the best case 100 km. Add a few road trips that I will definitely want to do and I will be way over the lease
A 200 km commute with an SR+ in the middle of the winter, could be challenging range wise.
If I were you, I would play around abetterouteplanner to make sure you are within the confortable limits of the car.

A 200 km commute with an SR+ in the middle of the winter, could be challenging range wise.
If I were you, I would play around abetterouteplanner to make sure you are within the confortable limits of the car.
Yeah, I played a lot with it, even setting -30°C with heavy snow on the road and a bit above the speed limits I still make home with 26%, plus I will probably be able to charge at work

Reactions: duanra
Thanks for the offer

That’s not a problem it can be redone as a finance…

Your only other option is to buy a used one as you don’t qualify for rebates

Personally I think doing 50000 km a year on a commute in a Tesla is a waste of money just buy something cheaper but that’s just me

Yeah, I played a lot with it, even setting -30°C with heavy snow on the road and a bit above the speed limits I still make home with 26%, plus I will probably be able to charge at work
Lol no chance

I have an SR plus, if your car sits at -30 all day and you have to drive home 100km after driving 100km there and you get traffic it could be challenging. You need at least a 110v plug at work or an indoor parking spot

Lol no chance

I have an SR plus, if your car sits at -30 all day and you have to drive home 100km after driving 100km there and you get traffic it could be challenging. You need at least a 110v plug at work or an indoor parking spot
Lets see what happens, actually at work I'm sure I will be able to charge, but no idea where I will live, really want to get somewhere with a charger but that may not happen

But stopping at a Supercharger for 10 minutes when it's coldest would not be such a problem

Reactions: Goodtohave
Guys, another question

I remember there was some conditions in if I want to sell the vehicle I got with the incentives, but can't find them

I vaguely remember seeing something like I have to stay with it for 4 years or I have to pay back the incentives, anyone can point me on that? Just want to have a plan if I leave Canada and not be stuck with a car there or having to pay the $13k back