Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quebec Government Commits To EVs In A Big Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would pay $2.50 to block heat my S85 while my kid is practicing/playing hockey or while we are skiing. For example, if I want to squeeze in some skiing with kids in competitive hockey I might have the car sit at a rink for 2 hours during an early morning hockey practice/game, then drive to a ski hill and let the car sit for another 4-5 hours before driving home. That's easily 200km of driving, which would be doable below minus 10 if the car could be plugged in at the rink and ski hill, but with two extended cold soaks I might not make it home.

As for shopping, Doug G provides this story in his cold weather driving blog entry: "I encountered the worst-case scenario for Model S range last winter by going Christmas shopping in extreme cold (below -20C). Drive 20 minutes, cold soak two hours, repeat all day. I used most of an 85 kWh battery pack in relatively few miles."

The battery pack heater can draw up to 5.5 kw, so the proliferation of 200w/30amp L2 block heater plugs are just what we need in a cold climate.

From another frustrated Quebec tax payer, I'm glad they're building the network. While I haven't used it yet I do have a circuit electrique card in case I need it. The break even is about four hours use. I don't think $2.50 is a big deal to get out of a bind once in a while. I'm sure it's going to be a very long return on their investment at that price.

For me this is all about being able to cross the province without having to stop 4 hours to reach destinations. And for people who are talking to me everyday about my car, this is the first question they are asking "Where do you charge when you travel?" And "How much time does it takes?"

Hydro Québec built the most expensive block-heating network in the world, bravo! 3 stars for the land-of-electricity's public company. For those who wonders , yes I am a frustrated Quebec tax payer.

This a big mis-conception. Hydro didn't pay for these chargers, Metro, St-Hub & co. are footing most of the bill...which is why it's on their premise!

I agree that as battery capacity increases and cars like Model S become more common,
Level 2s won't help much for road trips and Level 3 are needed across the province...but qualifying Level 2 of block-heaters is pushing it.
For example, like hotels, ski stations would be great destination with L2 chargers to give us significant range as you can be there for quite a bit more than an hour or two!