Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australia is the only country with a mix of CCS1 and CCS2, it wouldn't be worth the effort for PlugShare to split them into two categories.

And their icon for Tesla Superchargers/HPWCs are wrong outside of North America/Japan too. When they get around to fixing that perhaps they'll have region-specific CCS icons too.. :D

I've submitted a request to Plugshare to fix these - basically more than half their connection types are wrong in one way or another!

GfpRfbP.png

I've submitted a request to Plugshare to fix these - basically more than half their connection types are wrong in one way or another!

GfpRfbP.png

Hi Chuq,

Good job with the diagram. Totally agree with fixing up the CCS and Caravan sockets.

I am just worried that the whole Tesla Supercharger/Destination charger will create much confusion. Yes the plug for both is Type-2, but they only work with Tesla vehicles, which COULD create confusion for people with non-Tesla vehicles with Type 2 sockets. Its especially confusing with the HPWC, because as far as I am aware, Tesla HPWC supplied via the destination charger program (with a type 2 plug) are locked out from being used on non-Tesla vehicles either via a software lock or dip switch setting. Where as a customer owned HPWC will work with any EV that has a Type-2 socket or a Type-2 to Type-1 adaptor. Perhaps changing the logo to a Tesla "T" would make more sense?

Adam.

The Gatton site already has Mennekes 2 type destination (Tesla) unit beside the Veefil. I don't know if those other sites with Type 2 to Type 2 are any faster charging than the standard (22kW, 3 phase) units we have at home or at other destinations.
Might be. I heard that the WA Elec Hwy T2's are 63A 3-phase, but it doesn't matter yet as no car in Aust can charge over 32A 3-phase.

I was at the Coolangatta Queensland Electric Highway on Wednesday the 15th of November 2017 and the Type 2 sockets (there are two) did not appear to work. I carry a Type 2 to Type 2 cable. The CHAdeMO did work fine though (I also carry a Tesla adaptor for those). I think I should report this but I have no idea who to contact. The Type 2 sockets are in their own little pillar that I've heard were supplied by Siemens.

View attachment 261296

Maybe call 1300 490 903. I was thinking of getting a Type 2 to Type 2 cable for the sake of multiple redundancy but have personally only seen Type 2 at one place, Hunter Wetlands where they supply the cable.
Besides the QEH having one at MOST sites, in Brisbane there's one at Queensland Uni acquatic centre and one in King George Square car park.

View attachment 261296

Maybe call 1300 490 903

1 300 480 903 actually

Besides the QEH having one at MOST sites, in Brisbane there's one at Queensland Uni acquatic centre and one in King George Square car park.

Great info thanks Ray. Definitely worthwhile for long distance charging redundancy in QLD then. Interesting that, like CHAdeMO, there’s only one Type 2 outlet in all of Sydney.

Can't believe I missed the one in Kellyville! Must be an enlightened restaurant owner?

View attachment 261488
Kellyville is in Greg's patch and he made a pretty good case to the owner! Greg is a MASSIVE EV fanatic, has 3 EV's (Leaf, Leaf, Imiev) wants a second hand Tesla S85RWD when the M3 comes out and 85's are on the market. TOCA enthusiast member. Chair of AEVA NSW. Has sooooo many adapters, including many that he gets because they are cool even if they don't fit his car(s). Co-driver to Alice, and oh yes just elected AEVA National President!

This is just a fraction and doesn't include his prized Setec 3-phase to Chademo converter ...
23380231_10156045504326042_3821092350831591125_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq
Yes the plug for both is Type-2, but they only work with Tesla vehicles, which COULD create confusion for people with non-Tesla vehicles with Type 2 sockets

That's a good point - hadn't considered that!

Plugshare has additional options such as filtering out which outlets are of you use to you - e.g. if you say you have a Leaf it will show the Wall, J1772, Chademo etc ones only. Of course it depends what cables and adaptors someone carries. So it should be reasonably foolproof.