Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm personally hoping for more than one stall - they really need to add stalls to at least some of the existing ones too. They (whoever "they" are) will know by now the traffic through each location and by implication, how often people have to wait.
While more than one stall would be great, there is absolutely no way it's going to happen. Particular on these inland routes. They will probably be the same 1xDC 2xAC charger setups we see on the coast.

Definitely need more than one stall on the coastal chargers though. I'm seeing Teslas everywhere now and last time I used the QESH the DC stall was already in use. Luckily the owner was local, really nice and shifted to the AC

The main problem with one stall is lack of redundancy. If you get there and it is not working and there is not enother in range (has happened to me in NSW) you are F'ed. Not a nice feeling with kids on board. Luckily in my case there was 3 phase from a nearby (not in plugshare) showgrounds where I could pry the door open but yeah - not good. If that option was not open it would have been doorknocking hoping someone would give me access to a 240v plug and been there for a night in the car.

NOT exactly an encouragement to take up EVs. I love my model S but at that point I wish I had my diesel.

The main problem with one stall is lack of redundancy. If you get there and it is not working and there is not enother in range (has happened to me in NSW) you are F'ed
This is exactly right. Each site should have at least 2 independent DC chargers (like Tesla Supercharger sites) or at minimum an AC stall in addition to the DC charger. Obviously far more preferable to have multiple DC chargers as an AC charger means being stranded for at least a couple of hours or more.

Reactions: pts260
Some sort of traffic analysis should show which ones are priority for doubling up the DC chargers. If it shows multiple back-to-back sessions with only <1 min between them (or going onto the AC charger) then it means people are queueing and waiting.

It's even worse with the single-stall DC chargers in NSW - they have no backup AC chargers. But a few NRMA sites do have two stalls.

I wonder if these new sites will be 50kW or 75kW. I'm personally hoping for 75kW considering they are designed like the 50kW ones. Will just be a matter of sourcing enough power.
That's a good point. It's in Tritium's interest to deprecate the RT50, so I assume they'd want to encourage installation of the RTM75. If nothing else they could very likely be 75 kW units which are limited to 50 kW (due to existing site capacity) and may be opened up to 75 kW later. They could also have the dual charging capability that the RTM75 provide (or will provide, any day now, after a software update). Also I think every QESH site so far has a backup AC charger - unless we hear otherwise I expect this would be the plan with this third stage.

While more than one stall would be great, there is absolutely no way it's going to happen. Particular on these inland routes. They will probably be the same 1xDC 2xAC charger setups we see on the coast.

Definitely need more than one stall on the coastal chargers though. I'm seeing Teslas everywhere now and last time I used the QESH the DC stall was already in use. Luckily the owner was local, really nice and shifted to the AC

screwed me over too. I once had to skip 2 qesh chargers because of that and the third one was broken - both AC as well as DC. So had to plug into someones washing machine outlet to make it to the next QESH charger after that.

Dual cable RTM75's would be a good first step to redundancy, as they could replace existing single ones without extra foundations and cabling. Although there would be more single points of failure than two independent stalls (and the cables would have to reach the back corners of two Teslas, for example)

Dual cable RTM75's would be a good first step to redundancy, as they could replace existing single ones without extra foundations and cabling. Although there would be more single points of failure than two independent stalls (and the cables would have to reach the back corners of two Teslas, for example)
Are the QSEH still free and accessed via Chargefox - or have those days gone?

Some new information on the QESH stage three I have found.

All the sites will have Tritium RTM75 chargers.

Installation will start March 2022 - waiting on parts from Tritium.

Aim is to complete all stations by September 2022.

Price will be increasing on the QESH, possibly up to 30c/kWh.

Don't know if AC backup will be present and not sure if Dual CCS2 or CCS2 and Chademo.

they are 20c/kwh which is very reasonable.
Very reasonable! It's less than my retail 25c at home (and only a little more than my offpeak 17c which I use for charging). Near as dammit to free, compared to ICE fuel certainly.

Hopefully at least some of the new sites are multi-stall. One dual CCS2 + one CCS2/Chademo + AC backup would get me out on the road.