Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We seem to be getting a lot of problems with the QESH up north.
Between Townsville and Cairns there is currently only 1 charger working. Cardwell, Innisfail and Cairns itself are all showing faulted.
That only leaves Tully which is about a 1.5-2 hour drive from Cairns.

There is still the AC backup but it really is making it hard to do a trip to Cairns and back without range anxiety.

We seem to be getting a lot of problems with the QESH up north.
Between Townsville and Cairns there is currently only 1 charger working. Cardwell, Innisfail and Cairns itself are all showing faulted.
That only leaves Tully which is about a 1.5-2 hour drive from Cairns.

There is still the AC backup but it really is making it hard to do a trip to Cairns and back without range anxiety.

good to know, im driving down to brisbane in a few days and usually have to stop in cardwell for a topup for 10min due to degradation.

good to know, im driving down to brisbane in a few days and usually have to stop in cardwell for a topup for 10min due to degradation.

You’re going to have to be careful on the way home. Looks like the Tully charger has now faulted as well leaving 0 chargers between Townsville and Cairns.
That’s really poor form and for a lot of people will make that trip impossible in an SR+

QESH price rise confirmed on 1 Feb 2022 per Chargefox notices.

Will be $0.30/kWh. (50% increase from current $0.20/kWh)
Seemingly deferred to 1 May 2022.

leaving 0 chargers between Townsville and Cairns.
Tully not reported on Plugshare, but yes see it on the Chargefox entry

(Wish Chargefox used a different colour pin to mark sites with issues)

Would love to see the usage statistics of these chargers in FNQ. According to the app, the Tully charger is just comms problems. I wonder if high usage plus weather conditions contribute to failures for the others. The Cairns charger has been out of action for a while. No additional info on the Cardwell charger on the chargefox app.

Edit: the Carmila charger is also down. Same issue as Innisfail charger - AC capacitors need replacing.

Last edited:
The DC charger has its own cables, most QESH charger sites have two 22KW AC charging points and you do need a type 2 to type 2 for those, it would mean that you could charge at 11 KW for the model 3 while you are waiting if the DC charger(44KW) is occupied when you arrive

Reactions: funwithstuff
Don't use it often, but definitely used it when I was renting and depended more on the the chargers. Especially when some were broken (Gold Coast Airport was down for a while). Also used it on a road trip at a couple of chargers while waiting and let others use it when they are waiting for me.

Reactions: funwithstuff
You’re going to have to be careful on the way home. Looks like the Tully charger has now faulted as well leaving 0 chargers between Townsville and Cairns.
That’s really poor form and for a lot of people will make that trip impossible in an SR+

Even with my degradation I struggle with the long range performance (with 18" wheels).
Charged to 97% and arrived with 1%. When the car was new I could leave with 90% and arrive with 5%.

Attachments

• OnPaste.20220214-221033.png
    OnPaste.20220214-221033.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 49
Although some good news, from a reliable source on FB: "All QESH Phase 3 sites will have a 75kW DC charger. It won’t happen until 2nd half of year but good to hear they are a bit faster."

QESH phase 3 sites will use the modular 75kw charger (does tritium still produce the 50kw one?) but that doesnt mean the government will supply it with 75kw.

The first phase 3 charger is already finished (Kingaroy) and that is only 50kw. The good news is that a Model 3 can actually draw 50kw from it, and not 35-43kw like with the 50kw chargers.

Attachments

• kingaroy.jpg
    kingaroy.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220211_203501.jpg
    20220211_203501.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Marty McFly
QESH phase 3 sites will use the modular 75kw charger (does tritium still produce the 50kw one?) but that doesnt mean the government will supply it with 75kw.

The first phase 3 charger is already finished (Kingaroy) and that is only 50kw. The good news is that a Model 3 can actually draw 50kw from it, and not 35-43kw like with the 50kw chargers.

Maybe if they’re installing the 75kw chargers but throttling them to 50kw they may last a little longer and have less faults.