Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QESH phase 3 sites will use the modular 75kw charger (does tritium still produce the 50kw one?) but that doesnt mean the government will supply it with 75kw.

The first phase 3 charger is already finished (Kingaroy) and that is only 50kw. The good news is that a Model 3 can actually draw 50kw from it, and not 35-43kw like with the 50kw chargers.
I don't think that Kingaroy one is QESH phase 3. The QESH sites will be Yurika branded.

Also, you must have a lot more degradation than me. I can drive from Edmonton to Deeragun with 75% charge. Admittedly I arrived in Deeragun with 0% but I did it.

Reactions: Chuq
I don't think that Kingaroy one is QESH phase 3. The QESH sites will be Yurika branded.

Also, you must have a lot more degradation than me. I can drive from Edmonton to Deeragun with 75% charge. Admittedly I arrived in Deeragun with 0% but I did it.

oh... apparently the Kingaroy is a second gen 50kw charger from tritium which stanwell has financed. Oo.

Edmonton to Deeragun is 320km vs 355km. And you probably felt a bit pressured so slowed down, whereas I drive quite a bit faster and I drive early in the morning so no annoying traffic about.
But yeah, I have 16% degradation (435 rated kms at 100%). 66.5kwh or so rated battery, so without the buffer I have 63kwh or so available.

I live in the south now and when winter comes next couple of months i am gonna let the car sit at 90% for a bit and see if that restores any range (i doubt it looking at my voltages. doesnt look like the bms is particularly confused)

Last edited:
kingaroy is QESH phase 3 for sure. just not added to chargefox yet so its free to use.
Edmonton to Deeragun is 320km vs 355km. And you probably felt a bit pressured so slowed down, whereas I drive quite a bit faster and I drive early in the morning so no annoying traffic about.
But yeah, I have 16% degradation (435 rated kms at 100%). 66.5kwh or so rated battery, so without the buffer I have 63kwh or so available.

I live in the south now and when winter comes next couple of months i am gonna let the car sit at 90% for a bit and see if that restores any range (i doubt it looking at my voltages. doesnt look like the bms is particularly confused)
Time will tell if we see another DCFC pop up in Kingaroy.

When I did that trip it was from 10pm to 2am and I didn't muck around with speed as I was trying to get somewhere.

But my car says I have 69kWh nominal remaining, so a bit more than you.

Not listed in Chargefox either, and from one of a Plugshare photos looks like its got a proper credit card RFID reader on it
I charges there a few days ago. Its got an rfid reader but the charger is free to use once you plug it in. Its not clear atm when and if this charger will be monetized as stanwell payed for it and council pays for electricity i think. It may actually keep being free as its there to boost tourism or smth.

Reactions: moa999
I charges there a few days ago. Its got an rfid reader but the charger is free to use once you plug it in. Its not clear atm when and if this charger will be monetized as stanwell payed for it and council pays for electricity i think. It may actually keep being free as its there to boost tourism or smth.
Thanks. So definitely not part of QESH then.
Someone has added a $0.30/kWh price on Plugshare as well.

But seemingly not at the moment based on your experience.

Im planning to go from Brisbane to Longreach in June. Is the best way up to Rockhampton and then across?. Its says on plugshare that the Emerald hotel charger is only for guests, but I was hoping to do Rocky to Longreach in one day.... if I can find somewhere to charge mid-trip.
Will any of these inland DC chargers be up by June?

• Funny
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Im planning to go from Brisbane to Longreach in June. Is the best way up to Rockhampton and then across?. Its says on plugshare that the Emerald hotel charger is only for guests, but I was hoping to do Rocky to Longreach in one day.... if I can find somewhere to charge mid-trip.
Will any of these inland DC chargers be up by June?

if you are lucky significant parts of southern outback QESH might be done so Id probably reassess last minute. if you want to do the trip fast you need to buy/borrow a three phase/11kw umc.

Rocky to Longreach in one day is possible. You need to stay below 11kw/hour (otherwise you are just charging longer). So usually for the Model 3 thats 85km/h. Then plug into 3 phase i.e. at alpha and charge for maybe 2-3 hours and then do the last bit to longreach. Depending if you have an SR or LR and how much degradation you have of course.

Last edited:
Lake Maraboon Holliday Village a fairly short detour from Emerald has three phase 32 amp outlets according to Plugshare it is about 300 km from Rockhampton so should be doable with a SR+ then charge at Alpha showgrounds or Barcaldine, even a LR would be pushing to make Alpha from Rocky - 439km
One of these:- Gen2 Mobile Connector Adaptor (Model3, ModelS/X 'Raven') - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors at $155 with the Tesla UMC is a cheaper option though only 2/3 the speed of a three phase UMC

You need to stay below 11kw/hour (otherwise you are just charging longer)

That's not true. You need to minimise the quantity:

1645014366403.png

and the speed / consumption which minimises that for a particular charge rate depends on the speed-versus-consumption curve, not just on the charge rate alone.

Using the Model 3 LR curve at ABRP, I get that the fastest speed to drive at including charging at 11kW is 105km/h, whereas for charging at 3.5kW it's 60km/h. Those correspond to energy use while driving of 15kW and 6kW respectively - both faster than the charge rate (so in both cases more time is spent charging than driving).

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
That's not true. You need to minimise the quantity:

View attachment 769702

and the speed / consumption which minimises that for a particular charge rate depends on the speed-versus-consumption curve, not just on the charge rate alone.

Using the Model 3 LR curve at ABRP, I get that the fastest speed to drive at including charging at 11kW is 105km/h, whereas for charging at 3.5kW it's 60km/h. Those correspond to energy use while driving of 15kW and 6kW respectively - both faster than the charge rate (so in both cases more time is spent charging than driving).

uh really? explain? At 105km/h youd be using around 165wh/km, so 17kw/h -> so you just end up charging longer? Or are you saying, because you also arrived 12min earier you have some extra time? but even 12min isnt enough to charge the extra 6kwh.

uh really? explain? At 105km/h youd be using around 165wh/km, so 17kw/h -> so you just end up charging longer? Or are you saying, because you also arrived 12min earier you have some extra time? but even 12min isnt enough to charge the extra 6kwh.
Using the ABRP chart I linked, I get 120 Wh/km at 80 km/h and 145 Wh/km at 105 km/h.

At a charge rate of 11.0kW, this means every 100km takes 75 minutes of driving and 65.5 minutes of charging when you drive at 80km/h, for a total of 140.5 minutes; or it takes 57.1 minutes of driving and 79.1 minutes of charging at 105 km/h, for a total of 136.2 minutes.

ie, when driving at 80 km/h and charging at 11.0kW you average 43 km/h including the charging stop, and when driving at 105 km/h and charging at 11.0kW you average 44 km/h including the charging stop.

(The exact figures are beside the point anyway: the point is that the optimum speed to drive at depends on both the speed-vs-efficiency curve and the charge rate you can get, not just the charge rate alone.)

Very interesting idea cafz. You inspired me to build a spreadsheet to track speed vs mid-trip charging capacity.
Rocky to Longreach, give or take 700km. Start with 100% charge, arrive with 15%.
Graph of total hours (driving and charging) vs highway speed. Each graph is based on what charger you can get hold of mid-trip.

1645073796627.png
1645073802720.png
1645073808469.png
1645073819414.png

Using the ABRP chart I linked, I get 120 Wh/km at 80 km/h and 145 Wh/km at 105 km/h.

At a charge rate of 11.0kW, this means every 100km takes 75 minutes of driving and 65.5 minutes of charging when you drive at 80km/h, for a total of 140.5 minutes; or it takes 57.1 minutes of driving and 79.1 minutes of charging at 105 km/h, for a total of 136.2 minutes.

ie, when driving at 80 km/h and charging at 11.0kW you average 43 km/h including the charging stop, and when driving at 105 km/h and charging at 11.0kW you average 44 km/h including the charging stop.

(The exact figures are beside the point anyway: the point is that the optimum speed to drive at depends on both the speed-vs-efficiency curve and the charge rate you can get, not just the charge rate alone.)

oh that is due to the deflated consumption numbers which are much higher in real life.

if you assume 120wh/km at 80km/h then that is only 9.6kw/hour so you actually should speed up.... but in real life you wont hit such low consumption due to A/C and wind....

oh that is due to the deflated consumption numbers which are much higher in real life.

if you assume 120wh/km at 80km/h then that is only 9.6kw/hour so you actually should speed up.... but in real life you wont hit such low consumption due to A/C and wind....
This is why I said that "the exact figures are beside the point". It is clear enough that the optimum speed for fastest overall trip depends on both the speed-vs-efficiency curve and the charging rate, not on charging rate alone.

AC use actually pushes towards driving faster, because the AC consumption doesn't change with speed, so the less time you spend on the road, the less energy you have fed into the AC.

Headwinds will push the tradeoff towards lower speed (it essentially pushes the speed-vs-efficiency curve to the left) and tailwinds towards higher speed.

Interesting charts.
Assume the optimal point for DC chargers is well above the max speed limit.

And equally the optimal for the slower AC chargers would be dangerously slow on a country highway.
Right. Using the ABRP M3 LR chart (bearing in mind that your mileage will quite literally vary) I put it as ~55 km/h for 10A charging and ~60 km/h for 15A charging.

Probably the main takeaway for DC charging is that if you're driving on the freeway using DC charging, slowing from 110 to 105 isn't going to make up in charging time what you lose in driving time.

Probably the main takeaway for DC charging is that if you're driving on the freeway using DC charging, slowing from 110 to 105 isn't going to make up in charging time what you lose in driving time.
When Bjorn Nyland did his 24 hours challenge, he sat on 170-180km/h. It is always better to go faster when using DC as the charger replenishes the charge much faster than the car can discharge it.