Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip to North Queensland, Airlie Beach maybe Cairns, in January in a Model Y. What’s the reliability of the chargers once I go past Gympie? Any additional cables I need or can I get by with the QESH chargers and the UMC? Thanks
TIP When looking/planning my trip and accommodation I look at plugshare for motels that are listed on plugshare as having 3-phase charge points. Just drill down in the location you are wanting to overnight at. Also plan for a plan B for every charge area. This is a way to relieve the stress of finding the charge point broken or used and not checked in, upon arrival.

As to the varsity of whether the ChargePoint is working, look on PlugShare and scan the dates and comments of the last few check-ins. The trip you are making is a well-worn path.

YMMV but I take an iPad/tablet with me inside the cabin within easy reach, for just these sorts of situations, just for the screen size. Makes it easier to view and minimizes the frustration/stress. PPPPPP

Cloncurry also recorded 128 F in the mid-fifties (53 C). I lived out that way then and it certainly was hot.

Well I’m sure it was hot, but Cloncurry has never officially reached 53°C in the shade with a verified, calibrated measurement. In fact officially it has never gotten over 50 - the highest official temperature recorded in Cloncurry is 46.9°C recorded on 1 Dec 2006.

Well I’m sure it was hot, but Cloncurry has never officially reached 53°C in the shade with a verified, calibrated measurement. In fact officially it has never gotten over 50 - the highest official temperature recorded in Cloncurry is 46.9°C recorded on 1 Dec 2006.
That was official in those days; recent times and the CC rubbish had them 'disavow' all measurements made back in the day.

That was official in those days; recent times and the CC rubbish had them 'disavow' all measurements made back in the day.

Do you really believe that? Do you think the BoM should retain measurements that are proved beyond reasonable doubt to be unreliable? Science is about accuracy, repeatability and removing human bias.

Your throwaway comment “disavow all measurements” is clearly rubbish, since temperature measurements at Observatory Hill in Sydney for example go back to 1859. How do you explain that if all (your word) measurements are being “disavowed”?

A tiny number of physical measurements each year are discarded when physical evidence emerges particular readings were unreliable, and that impacts both old and recent measurements where stations have gone faulty. It is a process that gets a lot of scrutiny and readings are not discarded lightly.

That does not move the needle at all when it comes to analysing tens of millions of temperature data points collected every year around the world, if that is your conspiracy theory.

Do you really believe that? Do you think the BoM should retain measurements that are proved beyond reasonable doubt to be unreliable? Science is about accuracy, repeatability and removing human bias.

Your throwaway comment “disavow all measurements” is clearly rubbish, since temperature measurements at Observatory Hill in Sydney for example go back to 1859. How do you explain that if all (your word) measurements are being “disavowed”?

A tiny number of physical measurements each year are discarded when physical evidence emerges particular readings were unreliable, and that impacts both old and recent measurements where stations have gone faulty. It is a process that gets a lot of scrutiny and readings are not discarded lightly.

That does not move the needle at all when it comes to analysing tens of millions of temperature data points collected every year around the world, if that is your conspiracy theory.
I am not interested in your 'needle' nor am I interested in Observatory Hill; I was and am talking about Cloncurry.
I am right - you are wrong. I am not interested in discussing this further.

I am not interested in your 'needle' nor am I interested in Observatory Hill; I was and am talking about Cloncurry.

But you then went on to attempt to discredit climate science on the basis that “all” (your word) old temperature measurements have been “disavowed” which I demonstrated was untrue with a counter-example and a link to prove it.

I am right - you are wrong.

So you are right simply because you say so, with no links or evidence to support your position? Seems like the problem here is you don’t like being challenged or held to account, and think you can close debates by mere assertion.

I have no problem being challenged or held to account, indeed I expect it and that’s exactly what should happen if I post in a public forum. It disciplines me to do my own research, check my facts before posting, and confront my own biases. That’s how I learn and discover new things.

But you then went on to attempt to discredit climate science on the basis that “all” (your word) old temperature measurements have been “disavowed” which I demonstrated was untrue with a counter-example and a link to prove it.

So you are right simply because you say so, with no links or evidence to support your position? Seems like the problem here is you don’t like being challenged or held to account, and think you can close debates by mere assertion.

I have no problem being challenged or held to account, indeed I expect it and that’s exactly what should happen if I post in a public forum. It disciplines me to do my own research, check my facts before posting, and confront my own biases. That’s how I learn and discover new things.
I say again so even you might get it - I WAS REFERING TO CLONCURRY (ALL OF CLONCURRY BEFORE SOME MAGIC DATE).

I say again so even you might get it - I WAS REFERING TO CLONCURRY (ALL OF CLONCURRY BEFORE SOME MAGIC DATE).
Except that you decided to infer that the discounting of Cloncurry results were because of some climate-related conspiracy when the reality is that the measurements were being made using improperly mounted gear. If you want to be righteous, you must first restrict yourself to facts.

Reactions: Chuq
Except that you decided to infer that the discounting of Cloncurry results were because of some climate-related conspiracy when the reality is that the measurements were being made using improperly mounted gear. If you want to be righteous, you must first restrict yourself to facts.
I suggest you use facts - you have no idea what went on or why. Absolutely no idea.

Visited the Charters Towers charger a couple of weeks ago. Worked really well. Received close to max charge rate (74.5kW)

20221120_121756.jpg

Now, not two weeks later, the entire QESH Phase 3 is down.

Have to wonder about the quality of components tritium is using for such poor reliability

Screenshot_20221202-130623_Chargefox.jpg

Attachments

• 20221120_121725.jpg
    20221120_121725.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 36
  • 20221120_120649.jpg
    20221120_120649.jpg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221120_120310.jpg
    20221120_120310.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 41
Been using a fair few QESH chargers on a QLD holiday at the moment. Over the last week have used gin gin, mirrium vale, Rockhampton and MT Larcom.at different times.
Pretty unimpressed with the speed of the QESH chargers so far. Haven't seen any where near 50kw on my Tesla model 3 and most times have settled around the 38-39kw range. Adds a lot of time to what is usually a big charge up due to the distances involved in central QLD travel.
And although every time so far I have been the only one there, crazy to be only installing 1 DC and 1 AC charger with the ever increasing uptake of EVs, and the above mentioned need for large charges in QLD travel.

Pretty unimpressed with the speed of the QESH chargers so far. Haven't seen any where near 50kw on my Tesla model 3 and most times have settled around the 38-39kw range. Adds a lot of time
I hate to break it to you, but the lost kWs early in the charge cycle are being used by your car. It's burning a lot of the incoming power hearing your battery pack for optimal long term resilience of your batteries.

After it's heated, it'll deliver that extra few kW into the battery, though it'll then slow down again before too long, to protect the pack as it fills up.

Yes, they're slow. No, it's not fair to fault them for delivering 38-41kW net when it's actually delivering almost 50kW gross, up to the site's limitations.

Pretty unimpressed with the speed of the QESH chargers so far. Haven't seen any where near 50kw on my Tesla model 3 and most times have settled around the 38-39kw range. Adds a lot of time to what is usually a big charge up due to the distances involved in central QLD travel.
And although every time so far I have been the only one there, crazy to be only installing 1 DC and 1 AC charger with the ever increasing uptake of EVs, and the above mentioned need for large charges in QLD travel.
I agree. While it's great to see investment in central QLD, the government should have set their goals higher. I'd like to have seen 80-100kW.
I tend to avoid QESH unless there's no other choice.