Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Queensland government has announced a new program, separate to their QESH network rollout.

Details: https://qrida.qld.gov.au/s3fs-publi...Queensland Charging Infrastructure Scheme.pdf

Summary:

This new scheme seeks proposals for private organisations to build larger fast charging sites to supplement the QESH installs. It looks like $10m is available, which will fund a maximum of 50% of the cost of eligible sites. Applicants can propose multiple sites, with a maximum of $3m per recipient.

Sites must have 4x bays, minimum 75 kW in "Zone A" (which appears to cover the main coastal regions) or 2x bays min 75 kW each in "Zone B or C" (which covers the rest of the state). Priority will be given to applicants who fund faster charging stations. Worth noting that many network operators are now building sites which share capacity so this means it may result in some "300 kW over 4 bays" or "150 kW over 2 bays" arrangements. Connectors are not specified, but must adhere to "FCAI standards" - I would guess there will be less of a focus on Chademo, especially as these sites are to supplement the QESH locations. Using the funding to upgrade or expand existing sites is permitted.

There are also a few notes in requirement to provide open data on usage and uptime, which is good to see.

More details on zones/locations below.

Looks like a great scheme!

1656908833731.png

1656908857179.png

Any CHAdeMO or access requirements?
Eg. Can Tesla apply as they seemingly can under the similar NSW program.

Answering my own questions, seems they refer to FCAI standards - which seem to recommend both CCS2 and CHAdeMO.

Also has a requirement for backup AC chargers, which I guess Tesla could provide with wall chargers.

Last edited:
I wish other states had AC backup
AC backup is an interesting one. When a fast charging site meant a single 50 kW charger, the only people using them were all early adopter enthusiasts, and having a second fast charger was a big ask, then absolutely AC backup is useful.

But the best backup to a DC charger is another DC charger. When you have a 4 stall DC charger site, what benefit does an AC charger bring? It would only help in niche situations:

- Failure of the car's DC charging hardware
- Support for PHEVs, Renault Zoes that don't support DC fast charging
- If all the cables at the site had been damaged and the AC charger is a BYO cable unit

I think the best plan is for fast charging sites to be just that - fast chargers. AC chargers should also be plentiful, but these can be installed easily and cheaply by anyone and they don't necessarily have to be part of a fast charging site.

There's also an element of consideration of new EV drivers, who are not technical and just want to plug in and charge. Having a site with a consistent look and feel (rather than a mix of different types) can help with this.

It would only help in niche situations:

- Failure of the car's DC charging hardware
- Support for PHEVs, Renault Zoes that don't support DC fast charging
- If all the cables at the site had been damaged and the AC charger is a BYO cable unit
- The driver is fatigued and needs a power nap, and doesn't want to hog a rapid charger while asleep, only to have someone who actually needs a rapid charge tap on the window & wake you up.

- The driver has a 7 bar leaf and wants to visit family 100km away. Most of it freeway. No charging in the important middle bit yet but fast charging planned. Not sure how good CHAdeMO would be.Would be happy with AC to not hog charger

Just thought I'd bump this thread as we are getting close to the Close of Stage 2 applications (I don't believe any public release about who was involved in Stage 1)

6 February 2023 - Stage two full applications close at 11:59pm
End March 2023 - Applicants will be notified of outcomes

Then 18 months from signing of a Funding Agreement before you are required to have all sites up and running.

And an announcement

Tesla is among the winners of $10m for 44 sites across 30 Queensland towns.
Alongside Evie, Engie, NRMA, RACQ.

But not a huge amount more detail on who has won what.

FB_IMG_1685004492218.jpg

Notably the multiple sites include Rockhampton (where Tesla has a coming soon pin) but also Bundaberg and Mackay (where a pin was removed).
Nothing for Miriam Vale (which still has a pin), Gladstone would be the closest.

Last edited: