Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does have a map (Link to PDF) and graphics are good.

Screenshot_20230525-194359.png

Last edited:
They're sadly far better at announcing (and re-announcing?) these things than implementing them. The Warrego Hwy phase 3 sites were expected to be online by October last year when I initially contacted our local member, and then followed up with the councils involved (back in April 22). The Roma QESH site is still a big gap in the drive to Charleville, and the timeframe is now aligned with the overall phase 3 as "mid 2023". Mitchell is a welcome addition though.

Carseldine shopping centre.

I have searched for the earlier mention of this site to no avail. I had the impression that Tesla might be relocating the Toombul chargers here but that is obviously not the case.

3 new Tritium chargers branded RACQ with Chargefox emblem are being installed at the bottom of one of the 2 entry ramps. It doesn't matter which entry is used. but care will be needed when reversing in to the chargers due to the closeness of the nearby ramp. 2 single cable type 2 and 1 CHAdeMo/type 2 combine. Not sure of the total capacity.

July 30th -

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpeg
    IMG_3147.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    653.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3144.jpeg
    IMG_3144.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Reactions: RichardV and cafz
Carseldine shopping centre.

I have searched for the earlier mention of this site to no avail. I had the impression that Tesla might be relocating the Toombul chargers here but that is obviously not the case.

3 new Tritium chargers branded RACQ with Chargefox emblem are being installed at the bottom of one of the 2 entry ramps. It doesn't matter which entry is used. but care will be needed when reversing in to the chargers due to the closeness of the nearby ramp. 2 single cable type 2 and 1 CHAdeMo/type 2 combine. Not sure of the total capacity.

July 30th -
If I recall.. the Chargefox ones were on the roof at Toombul - therefore equipment was fine, hardware was removed when the site shut down for good.

Whereas the Tesla superchargers were on a lower floor level and may have suffered water damage?

The 15 new V3 stalls at Indooroopilly and Rochedale were effectively the replacement for the Toombul V2 site (despite being in other parts of the city).

So does the Govt will dole out $$$ based on the cheapest quotes? Or will it be shared around so no one provider has the lion share?. My reading suggests Tesla SC are cheaper to install, more reliable and faster to implement than other brands.

One stall is a waste of time
2 stalls is not far behind

So does the Govt will dole out $$$ based on the cheapest quotes? Or will it be shared around so no one provider has the lion share?. My reading suggests Tesla SC are cheaper to install, more reliable and faster to implement than other brands.

One stall is a waste of time
2 stalls is not far behind
Unfortunately the Qld Govt didn't give a detailed breakdown as per the NSW Govt grants - so we don't know details (number of sites, stalls per site, sites per successful recipient) - we just just the list as shown in @moa999's post - Queensland EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme

I'm sure there was an element of "whoever builds the most stalls for the cheapest amount of money" (which would preference Tesla) but there's probably also a bit of "prioritise Queensland businesses/organisations" and also "Giving all the money to Tesla would be bad PR".

Reactions: Vostok
Another $42m for 2500 charging points in Qld, but only 500 for the public.

At $17k a piece these will be mostly AC units.

But the commitment to a charger every 150km does suggest some expansion of the existing Yurika network.

As moa999 said, these are mainly for government use. Hopefully, they'll expand their thinking past that in the not-too-distant future.
Good use of the extra coal royalties, though.

Looks like the Qld Govt has now provided a list of addresses and statuses… but not which applicant is linked to each site :(

The only one that is not “in development” is the Calliope supercharger.

Things I’ve noticed:
* No Mackay location at the “leaked” Tesla location (Ooralea).
* No Bundaberg location at the “leaked” Tesla location (Hinkler Central)

Others may be able to identify other items of interest.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
And Augathella/Tambo that was a priority in the initial release didn't get a site; and the Mitchell site is incorrectly described as adjacent to the hospital, but if it's on Elizabeth Street it's still in the carpark between the hot springs and the museum (importantly, 450m or so walk to the bakery)

Last edited:
These locations make me laugh. I checked Bowen, Townsville, Mackay and Cairns. They have to be the worst locations ever. Nowhere near the highway. Huge detours required for charging. Is the QLD government taking the piss?

Townsville for example. Vincent and Burdell? What are they thinking. Surely they don't expect locals to be charging there, cause that literally the only use case for these locations.

Same with Mackay, the airport and Mackay Bunnings North it seems. Both also nowhere near the highway.

Rockhampton has good locations.
Ingham looks like good locations

Last edited: