Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland plans 1,600km string of fast-charging stations for electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Queensland state government has called for expressions of interest to build a fast-charge network along more than 1,600km up and down the Bruce Highway. That would seem to mean from Brisbane all the way to Cairns with the first charge station slated for Townsville. That's a lot of highway to cover. No word on proposed rollout schedule yet and unclear which standard will be used. What is clear is that they will be solar powered by panels from Ergon Energy and will be situated in existing service stations.

The Australasian Convenience and Petroleum Marketers Association CEO, Mark McKenzie, said retail fuel businesses had to accommodate alternative forms of transport energy to survive.

“Petrol station businesses must accommodate technological change to remain viable,” he said. “By incorporating solar facilities into the design of service stations, annual business costs can be reduced.”
Queensland plans 1,600km string of fast-charging stations for electric cars | Australia news | The Guardian

The Queensland state government has called for expressions of interest to build a fast-charge network along more than 1,600km up and down the Bruce Highway. That would seem to mean from Brisbane all the way to Cairns with the first charge station slated for Townsville. That's a lot of highway to cover. No word on proposed rollout schedule yet and unclear which standard will be used. What is clear is that they will be solar powered by panels from Ergon Energy and will be situated in existing service stations.

Queensland plans 1,600km string of fast-charging stations for electric cars | Australia news | The Guardian
Unfortunately 12/18 months ago (and I can't find the reference) Queensland was going to electrify the southeast. Didn't happen.

No relative - my time must be wrong then cause I remember Capt Bligh mentioned in context.
Assuming I am still alive when/if they do this I really would like to drive Brisbane-Cairns without ICE. I am beginning to be reall reluctant to drive ICE, although I did choose to ride with you rather than hire my own S at TMC.