TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Queensland plans 1,600km string of fast-charging stations for electric cars

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by WhiteStar, Jul 24, 2015.

1. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

The Queensland state government has called for expressions of interest to build a fast-charge network along more than 1,600km up and down the Bruce Highway. That would seem to mean from Brisbane all the way to Cairns with the first charge station slated for Townsville. That's a lot of highway to cover. No word on proposed rollout schedule yet and unclear which standard will be used. What is clear is that they will be solar powered by panels from Ergon Energy and will be situated in existing service stations.

Queensland plans 1,600km string of fast-charging stations for electric cars | Australia news | The Guardian

2. raynewman

raynewman Member

Unfortunately 12/18 months ago (and I can't find the reference) Queensland was going to electrify the southeast. Didn't happen.

3. wpapua

wpapua Member

That would have been when you had 'Dinosaur' Newman as a Premier ! A relative ?

4. raynewman

raynewman Member

No relative - my time must be wrong then cause I remember Capt Bligh mentioned in context.

5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Assuming I am still alive when/if they do this I really would like to drive Brisbane-Cairns without ICE. I am beginning to be reall reluctant to drive ICE, although I did choose to ride with you rather than hire my own S at TMC.

6. timpoo

timpoo Member

This was a really weird announcement, but still a welcome one.

The details are scarce - seems to be more about offsetting lease costs for solar/rapid charging, rather than a government project as such - I'll let you guys know what I find out.

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Imagine being able to drive Melbourne to Cairns without ICE:smile: