Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: 2018 Model S 75D rear quarter panel damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I was hit by a Chevy SUV from behind while on autopilot on the freeway. Not sure if the autopilot did something to minimize the damage. But, the damage is there nonetheless. Thankfully no persons were injured in the accident. Now I have a dilemma; the other party owns a well reputed body shop and offered to fix it without hitting the CARFAX or his insurance and mine. So should I go with his insurance and get it fixed the right way and in turn get a hit on his and mine insurance or let the guy fix it. Please look at the damage below and suggest if this will need a passenger side rear panel replacement or a panel fix. All responses are much appreciated!!

Attachments

• Tesla 2018 damage.jpg
    Tesla 2018 damage.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 167
That's a tough one.

I'm going to guess that's $10k worth of damage, and at least a $15k Diminished Value hit -- maybe more-- if it gets CARFAXED (without even getting into the ethics of not disclosing an accident to a buyer). You're looking at a replacement quarter panel and door, most likely. I've seen a 17 S75D with much more minor rear quarter panel-only "parking lot" damage at less than 5mph that was repairable that ran more than $5k. And the DV estimate on that was as much as $13k...

Is this guy's shop Tesla-certified? They may have an issue getting parts otherwise.

Do you live in a state where you can file a claim for Diminished Value against the other driver/insurance?

Would he be willing to pay that, cash?

Do you have a police report, or an admission of fault by the other driver?

If you're in a state where you aren't entitled to DV, AND he's a certified Tesla shop, AND you draw up a contract once you get a worst-case estimate from a different Tesla-certified shop, where he's on the hook for X if the repairs aren't to your satisfaction...

Then, maybe... and only then if you disclose the damage to a potential buyer.

If you can get DV, then I'd go through insurance. This guy probably isn't going to want to cough up $15k+ in DV + the repairs out of pocket, and it's not clear why you would be willing to take the risk in not going through insurance...

That's a tough one.

I'm going to guess that's $10k worth of damage, and at least a $15k Diminished Value hit -- maybe more-- if it gets CARFAXED (without even getting into the ethics of not disclosing an accident to a buyer). You're looking at a replacement quarter panel and door, most likely. I've seen a 17 S75D with much more minor rear quarter panel-only "parking lot" damage at less than 5mph that was repairable that ran more than $5k. And the DV estimate on that was as much as $13k...

Is this guy's shop Tesla-certified? They may have an issue getting parts otherwise.

Do you live in a state where you can file a claim for Diminished Value against the other driver/insurance?

Would he be willing to pay that, cash?

Do you have a police report, or an admission of fault by the other driver?

If you're in a state where you aren't entitled to DV, AND he's a certified Tesla shop, AND you draw up a contract once you get a worst-case estimate from a different Tesla-certified shop, where he's on the hook for X if the repairs aren't to your satisfaction...

Then, maybe... and only then if you disclose the damage to a potential buyer.

If you can get DV, then I'd go through insurance. This guy probably isn't going to want to cough up $15k+ in DV + the repairs out of pocket, and it's not clear why you would be willing to take the risk in not going through insurance...

Forgot to mention... you're probably looking at at LEAST 1 month, if not much more in terms of time to get replacement parts in. That's a long time to have the car in the shop. You'd get rental reimbursement if you file through his insurance, and that could be worth another $4-6k, depending on the rental reimbursement policy. Many are "similar class" policies, so you'd be looking at $50-75 per DAY.