Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: 530e vs. Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between *those* two? Get the Tesla Model 3!!!!

The Model 3 Mid-Range is actually cheaper than the BMW 530e AFAICT. You're in Los Angeles; based on prices there, you'll be saving about $1000/year on gasoline by getting the Model 3. This isn't like comparing a Camry to a Model 3!

I promise you, if you get the 530e, you will be cursing whenever the gasoline engine turns on and wishing it was all-electric, and it will be turning on on every commute. If you haven't driven electric, you have no idea how addictive it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arpe and IdaX
Anyone shop compare before deciding on one or the other? I have 50 mile RT commute, but I am just worried about the high monthly payment for an M3.
I have both - I've had the 530e xDrive M-Performance since Jan. With a 38 mile RT I'm averaging about 50 mpg over time - really great given the weight of the car. As @neroden mentioned, the ICE will kick on daily on the first leg with a 50 mile RT. If you can charge while at work that will make a difference. Even though the 530e touts a 30 mile range I've yet to see a US owner achieve that (a few have gotten close in Econ mode which runs a low power mode). Without the AC, and with cooler temps (thus cooler battery) I can charge up to 21 miles. In the summer it would charge to 16 miles. There is also a reserve of a few charge miles that are off-meter.

If the 530e had an 80-100 mile range I'd be ecstatic. 200 mile range and I'd buy two of them. I bought it because of the Model 3 delay and having sold my aging SUV. Now, comparatively, the 530e excels the M3 in finish, interior and exterior quality, and ride (even with Sport and Comfort). Not surprising for established auto company's that have had decades to perfect manufacturing and delivery processes. It also gives it a run for the money with its tech (not so much the UI but total tech offerings with hybrid analysis, entertainment, news, weather, text, email, collision avoidance, auto parking, cameras, remote control via the app, Apple CarPlay, heated front and rear seats, ventilated massage seats, etc). It's a larger offering; perhaps comparable to the Model S for sedan size. It's quiet and a really comfortable cabin. It's motorized trunk and soft close doors are what the M3 should have (and for the Frunk). The 530e does not have summon but other 5 series models do.

You won't get the agile neck snapping all electric acceleration and fun of the M3. Punch the BMW a few times a trip and the battery will be down before you hit the freeway (even with the ICE kicking in). For @Richt it also has its own version of autopilot as a purchase option. The BMW also does not need the collection of aftermarket items purchased by many M3 owners as most are part of the build (wireless phone charging, bright interior LEDs, multi-color LED interior trim options, model specific all weather mats, factory badging, interior wood trim or carbon fiber options, etc).

Hard to compare the two - greatly depends on your owner goals and which features are most important.

Thanks for the reply. Quite the dilemma as I have a decent lease option of $500 with $2000 DAS for 36 months at 12k. The 530e is comfortable, refined, and luxurious.

I am considering M3 because of my tax bill because I hate paying $$ every year to the Feds. Plus I would own it so I don’t need to worry about mileage restrictions. I just have trouble justifying a $700+ monthly payment.

If the M3 will have lower TCO than I’m all for it, but it seems a lot more than the 530e.

Just a thought....how many miles do you drive a year? You mention 50 miles RT for your commute, which works out to about 13,000 miles per year commuting (5 days at 52 weeks although I assume you take vacation). However, I imagine you are not limiting use of the car to your commute. Running errands after work, weekends, road trips where you drive...My guess is your annual mileage is likely closer to 16-18k. What is the per mile rate for going above the 12k for the BMW?

Thanks for the reply. Quite the dilemma as I have a decent lease option of $500 with $2000 DAS for 36 months at 12k. The 530e is comfortable, refined, and luxurious.

I am considering M3 because of my tax bill because I hate paying $$ every year to the Feds. Plus I would own it so I don’t need to worry about mileage restrictions. I just have trouble justifying a $700+ monthly payment.

If the M3 will have lower TCO than I’m all for it, but it seems a lot more than the 530e.

Since you're highly focused on your monthly out of pocket cost you will need to look beyond the monthly payment and instead factor in fuel/electric costs, different prices for insurance, tax credits and also maintenance if you would keep beyond three years (maintenance on BMWs is quite expensive).

If you are just going to lease for three years and then turn the car in then BMW is very hard to beat due to their aggressive subsidization of leases. Keep in mind that many of the lease costs in a BMW won't show up in the monthly payment since they are one time costs you pay and eat and never get back (lease acquisition charge for example which is about $1,000).

My BMW F30 had a nicer cabin and a higher level of fit and finish than my Tesla. My Tesla though is more fun to drive, the tech is overall a little better (autopilot) and it literally costs me nothing to charge since I get free Level-2 charging where I work.

I would recommend that you convince the dealer to let you take an extended test drive of the 530e for a full day or two and for the Tesla you rent one for a day or two on Turo. You'll have the car for 3 years and want to pick the right one.

Just a thought....how many miles do you drive a year? You mention 50 miles RT for your commute, which works out to about 13,000 miles per year commuting (5 days at 52 weeks although I assume you take vacation). However, I imagine you are not limiting use of the car to your commute. Running errands after work, weekends, road trips where you drive...My guess is your annual mileage is likely closer to 16-18k. What is the per mile rate for going above the 12k for the BMW?

Actually, my RT commute is 60 miles and we have chargers at work that charges $0.70/hour for Level 2. My over limit mileage penalty is $0.25 per mile.