Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about 2018 July Build Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just got a significant discount on a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (Red). Apparently, it has 4 miles on it. Price adjustment is $7200. Here are the details:

2018 Model 3 LR RWD (July Build)
Signature Red
Autopilot included (not enhanced)

Total MSRP (incl $1200) = $41.9k

Of-course, no doubt that this is a good deal. However, I am wondering what I'll be missing out if I go with this car versus ordering a new one off menu. I do understand that HW3 would not be included in this car, but are there any other major changes?

Tires may have a flat spot if the car has truly been parked for 10 months. Those will even out with a couple of day's use. If for some reason they don't, you have a warranty to cover it. The rotors should scrub off on their own. Again, if they don't you have a warranty. Given the great discount, I would tend to go for it.

As noted, you don't have HW3. This is probably only a concern if you want FSD, and if you pay for FSD, you get the upgrade included.

Finally, July builds still have the cool orange roof. We have a July build as well (perfectly reliable) and occasionally get comments on it after a rain.

Get real. No way has it been sitting that long and even it was ICE vehicles often sit much longer than that.
It has 4 miles on it. So it's been parked for a while if the OP is saying it's been built in July. My buddy got a Jetta that has been sitting on the lot for 6 months due to the diesel problems and his tires had sun damage and his rotors were warped due to sitting outside for that long. So who knows...

Dealing with warrantying the tire/rotor/battery. Not to sit around because I bought a brand new car.

There’s got to be a story as to why a July 2018 car is still available and only has 4 miles on it. What is Tesla telling you about this car?

I would bet money that it either had some major issue and was never offered for sale for some reason (unlikely), or it was refused several times for "reasons" (panel gaps, misaligned headlights, clearcoat damage, or other things people refuse cars for, etc) and they could never get someone to sign off on it.

THATs why I would say no to it because of the age and 4 miles on it. Paradoxically, If it were me, I would feel MUCH more comfortable buying that car if it had a few hundred miles on it as a demo or something. A brand new tesla sitting THAT long has some sort of story, and they would have a hard time convincing me that the story did not involve multiple rejections by others.... which I dont think they have to disclose.

If you really love the red color it could be a good deal depending on what you find out. If you would be OK with a black one, you could get a brand new black 2019 LR RWD with AP for $45,900, so $4,000 more than the 2018. But even $4K is a sizable discount if there is really nothing wrong with it.