Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about 2019 Model S....A 2019 that is a P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

I'm looking at purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Tesla Model S from a private party.

One of the 2019s that I am looking at is a bit confusing..........

I thought in 2019 that Tesla made two "flavors" of the Model S- Long Range or Performance. However, the pictures of the car that were sent to me (from a dealer that likely knows nothing about Teslas) show a P100D badge on the rear of the car. I thought the P100D was a different car than the Model S Performance. What is further confusing is that I was also sent an off angle picture of the forward screen, and it shows the picture of the car and it appears to say "100D" and not "P100D." Admittedly this picture isn't the greatest but shouldn't it say "P100D" on that forward screen when you open the door? How do I know a previous owner just didn't stick a "P100D" badge on the back of the car?

Also.......If this car is a 2019 P100D, what was the original MSRP? The websites I'm looking at show the MSRP for the 2019 Tesla Model S PERFORMANCE but not the P100D. Very confusing.

Thanks in advance.

VIN shows "K" in 10th position so 2019 from the Tesla Vin decoder website.

1634355867074.png

1634355795900.png

Hello-

I'm looking at purchasing a 2019 or 2020 Tesla Model S from a private party.

One of the 2019s that I am looking at is a bit confusing..........

I thought in 2019 that Tesla made two "flavors" of the Model S- Long Range or Performance. However, the pictures of the car that were sent to me (from a dealer that likely knows nothing about Teslas) show a P100D badge on the rear of the car. I thought the P100D was a different car than the Model S Performance. What is further confusing is that I was also sent an off angle picture of the forward screen, and it shows the picture of the car and it appears to say "100D" and not "P100D." Admittedly this picture isn't the greatest but shouldn't it say "P100D" on that forward screen when you open the door? How do I know a previous owner just didn't stick a "P100D" badge on the back of the car?

Also.......If this car is a 2019 P100D, what was the original MSRP? The websites I'm looking at show the MSRP for the 2019 Tesla Model S PERFORMANCE but not the P100D. Very confusing.

Thanks in advance.

Tesla transitioned in 2019 from the previous labeling/badging (such as "P100D") to the "Raven" platform with labeling of "Long Range" and "Performance." It is possible to have a P100D built in 2019, as I have one built in April 2019. I believe the transition happened around June/July (for new builds), so there was plenty of time for P100Ds to be built in 2019.

All of my screens display "P100D" for vehicle identification.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Also for a P100D.... Is there a screen somewhere that I can tell the dealer to take a screen shot of that shows it's really a P100D? Maybe I'm being paranoid but want to make sure before I spend the time and effort to go to this out of state dealer.

All P100Ds have Ludicrous?

The P100D badge is underlined, so this car would have Ludicrous if it's really a P100D.

Also for a P100D.... Is there a screen somewhere that I can tell the dealer to take a screen shot of that shows it's really a P100D? Maybe I'm being paranoid but want to make sure before I spend the time and effort to go to this out of state dealer.

Yes, as I mentioned, look at the "Driving" page of the options screen for "Ludicrous Mode". If it's just a 100D, it would not have this.

Used-2018-Tesla-Model-S-P100D-Sedan-ENHANCED-AUTOPILOT-Ludicrous-Mode.jpg

Reactions: ualdriver
Also, if you post the full VIN we can look into it further.
5YJSA1E27KF312133
That's the VIN. 2019 Model S.

I had him send me a pic of the driving page and it does NOT have any selections for Ludicrous. It just says Chill or Standard.

So using the information you all have given me above, this car has a P100D badge (P=performance?) but it really isn't a P100D? That's weird that it would have a P100D badge on the rear, right, and it's only a 100D?

I also had him send me some screenshots of various screens, including the "software" screen which shows the car in profile and it shows it as a Model S 100D, no reference to performance. I would guess(?) that it should be shown there as well?

Definitely NOT a P100D!
It was sold new in June 2019 as a "Long Range" which is just a 100D. Someone fudged the badging for sure.

Also, I'm not 100% positive, but I think by 2019 Tesla had stopped putting the "MODEL S" badge on the left side.

Here are the option codes:

1634403390790.png

Definitely NOT a P100D!
It was sold new in June 2019 as a "Long Range" which is just a 100D. Someone fudged the badging for sure.

Also, I'm not 100% positive, but I think by 2019 Tesla had stopped putting the "MODEL S" badge on the left side.

Here are the option codes:

View attachment 722280

Thanks Hank. So obviously somebody was playing with the badging. I'm walking away from this one for sure. Thanks to everyone in the thread for your help.

You should inform the seller (a used car dealer?) that the badging is wrong and that they could be liable for selling a 100D as a P100D with Ludicrous.
They don't care. I've now see exactly 9 dealers selling 100D cars with P100D badging on them. They also advertise free SC for life on cars that clearly don't have them. They also advertise clean history cars as flawless and never wrecked but they've been utterly destroyed and it doesn't take too much digging to find that out either. Bottom line, they will sell anything to make money and if you try to point these obvious falsehoods out... .they don't care. There's one particular dealership in the Colorado area that sells lots of Teslas and advertises every single one of them as free supercharging and premium data for life. My guess is that they either don't know (possible) and don't believe me when I've tried to bring it to their attention or (likely) don't care because once they've made their money what are you dong to do to them months down the road when you find out? Sue? The average buyer is not only not going to have any proof but also really doesn't even have any idea what they bought. It's sad but these predatory practices have been going on longer than you and I have bene alive and will still be around long after we're gone. A tale as old as time: a fool and his money shall soon part ways. They're just happy to be the catalyst that comes out ahead on the transaction.