Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about A/C right after charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my S75D on Saturday. When I picked it up we had the A/C running while the Tesla employee was going through the features. Once we drove off, the A/C was blowing hot air for about 3 minutes and then started working fine. It had just been connected to the SC's HPWC.

This morning, I had it charging in my garage, and for about 2 minutes first driving, it was blowing hot humid air and then actually turned on. At my work, in open air connected to chargepoint chargers it seems to work immediately.

Is this normal behavior? I'm wondering if it has to do with the A/C being used to cool the battery, which I know it can do, instead of cabin air. Maybe it has to do with being charged in a closed environment? The SC and my garage?

I found that this happened to me as well today. Was parked here in So Cal at the work Chargepoint and had to leave for an errand while the vehicle was still charging during lunch. I unplugged, and put the AC on (is in the mid 80's here today) and also found that for the initial several minutes of driving, the AC blew hot/humidish air. I set the fan to max, temp to low and recirc on, and AC eventually came on about 3-4 minutes into the drive.

How hot was it?

It is possible that the ac is redirected to the battery if it is really hot and you are charging it hard, but that is not usual. You should bring it up with your SC and note the time that this is occurred so they can check for you.
Not very hot, high 70s with high humidity. My garage was not much hotter than that and I was only charging at 240/32amps for an hour prior to that, so not even taxing the onboard charger.

I have a service appointment set up for the initial minor build issues with the car and will mention it to them that the A/C has had two episodes of not cooling.