TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Question about aftermarket wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Kapenagary, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Kapenagary

Kapenagary Member

The 19" wheels that are coming with my S85 are 8.5 inches wide. The aftermarket wheels I am looking at are 9" wide. I'm staying with the same tires (Michelin Primacy). Is this 1/2" difference a no no? I've been told that this will work fine but I would like to hear from actual owners their opinion. Thanks.

2. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

The original 19" wheels are 8.0 wide, 21" are 8.5, 21" P+ rears are 9.0

3. linkster

linkster Member

#3 linkster, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    A 245/45-19 will fit properly (albeit, the max) on a 9" wide wheel according to the Tire Rack.

btw, I would not stray too far from the factory 40mm offset (I had my 20's cut on a factory spec 40mm ET to completely eliminate any tire to wheel house interference)

4. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

you'll be fine with the exception of more grip! I am running 9" in the front and 10" in the rear and it grips and looks so much nicer.

5. matbl

matbl Member

That kind of assumes wider tyres as well, right? Op said he would stay on the same ones...