Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question about Apple Mac music library

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon to be new Model 3 owner.

I'm setting up an SSD with partitions for music and Tesla cam footage. There are some great posts on how to do this already.

I don't use streaming music services, but I do have a large-ish library of audio files in Mac OS Music (formerly iTunes), which I have synced to various Apple devices. Can I just copy the entire iTunes/Music library to the SSD and will that work? Looks like 85% of my library is mp3, 14% is m4a, and 1% is misc. formats. (I'm expecting that the mp3s will play but not the other formats, but hoping I'm wrong.)

I have over 6000 tunes in my iTunes library. They are categorized by song, artist, album, type of music and also by the playlists that I have created. I can listen to any of these categories in my car via its bluetooth feature. There is really no need to set up a partitioned SSD drive. I just get in the car, and on comes the music, or I can pause it and switch to the radio or just turn it off. I usually keep it in random mode and, if a song comes on that I don't want to hear I simple push the button on the left side of the steering wheel to the right and another song comes on

I copy my iTunes library to a USB for the car and it works fine. While you can use Bluetooth streaming as the previous reply states, you’ll get better sound quality playing from a USB. On the other hand, USB playback has some quirks (like not automatically resuming) that Bluetooth doesn’t.

I've found with our other cars, I really dislike Bluetooth's handling of music. Specifically, it restarts music when it shouldn't, and I haven't found a way to prevent this. (E.g. after starting the car, even though music wasn't playing when I stopped the car previously, music starts. Also after ending a call, even though music wasn't playing before the call, it starts. Very annoying.) I want to use Bluetooth for hands free calling, but might be happier if I could disable Bluetooth for music and leave it working for phone.

Reactions: rpiotro
Bluetooth via old ipod touch is my approach with the touch plugged into one of those cheap chinese wireless charge adapters. regarding it resuming play or not when you get back in the car this behavior is highly unreliable and seems to change with every tesla update in the past 5 years. it seems to be a little more reliable lately in keeping the volume where it was but i sometimes need to hit play on the steering wheel to get it to resume what it was playing.