Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Bass / Subwoofer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never found the stock UHFS amp/system to be lacking in power or output. I did upgrade the stock sub to the drop-in SoundQubed unit and it was a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade that’s simple to do, but from a quality standpoint, not “louder”.

During various updates over the years, Tesla adjusted loudness’ and/or levels of bass/treble response much to the detriment of overall sound quality.

In 2017, there was an issue with sound settings resulting in any owners losing Dolby, having to pump volume to 9/10 to achieve the same loudness at what was previously a 6/7 volume, max bass and treble resulted in less response.
After a number of complaints, Tesla finally re adjusted the levels back after initially stating it was for protecting the longevity of the system. Many complained it was unethical to reduce functionality after purchasing. (At that time 2017 and prior, UHDef/Premium sound was an optional purchase).

I will admit the sound produced from my 2018 MS UHDef does not sound as deep/high as my 2016 90D did yrs ago. Again could be Tesla internally adjusting settings to limit max output..who knows.

Get a 3rd party amp and sub and see if it helps!

I’ve never found the stock UHFS amp/system to be lacking in power or output. I did upgrade the stock sub to the drop-in SoundQubed unit and it was a noticeable and worthwhile upgrade that’s simple to do, but from a quality standpoint, not “louder”.

So you have the UHFS system? What Sub did you replace the stock one with? It doesn't need to be louder overall, but I want some punch.

You mentioned direct drop-in . Does the sub even have the connector, or did you have to cut wires ? Does the original sub have dual coils?
Stock connector is attached to the sub via spades so removal is simple. Stock is SVC @ 1ohm I believe so all you need to do is solder the SQubed sub coils together in parallel. You could use butt/crimp connectors, but I always solder for a guaranteed good connection long-term.

Attachments

• E9F07CAC-2550-41D9-93DF-AE061F97E020.jpeg
    E9F07CAC-2550-41D9-93DF-AE061F97E020.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 171
  • BA3BE002-6C19-44F1-8EBF-3CD03ACF54D0.jpeg
    BA3BE002-6C19-44F1-8EBF-3CD03ACF54D0.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
awesome! thank you so much for taking the time!!
You’re welcome! If you do end up upgrading, I was able to peel back the carpet vs having to dismantle the back plastic like the video shows. The only thing I actually removed was the side piece where the trunk cargo cover normally slides into (the sole T20 torx bit). Good luck and keep us posted.